Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-30-2023, 10:38 AM   #51
pawsplay

Default Re: Character build for Larper/Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It's a question of medium, in part. The medium of Public Speaking is voice; it may be accompanied by facial expressions and gestures, but characteristically the speaker stands in place and addresses an audience, which limits the use of body movements.
I don't see how that applies to story-telling or jesting at all, quite the opposite. I'm not even sure that applies to oratory.

Quote:
Secondarily, the speech of Public Speaking is directed to the audience; but the speech of Performance is largely directed to other performers, with the audience being allowed to overhear it. This fits in with the public speaker usually facing the audience, but the actor typically moving around to face one or another actor (though there is always readers' theater as a form).
In a LARP, the other participants are performers, so your speech is directed to other performers. But they are also the primary audience, so your speech is directed at the audience.

Quote:
In LARP, as I understand it, physical actions of characters are largely mimed, and that's more akin to Performance. In TTRPG, physical actions of characters are largely narrated, and narration is a form of storytelling, and storytelling is Public Speaking.
There is a lot of variation, but as other posters noted above, not everyone in remains in character most of the time. In many or most cases, the physical actions of LARP players are largely narrated. You're not even allowed to do fight-y things in Vampire LARPs. Rock-paper-scissors. That's it.

The only things that are consistently mimed in that kind of LARP are facial expressions and verbal punctuation, things that are characteristic of Public Speaking.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 11:37 AM   #52
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
I don't see how that applies to story-telling or jesting at all, quite the opposite. I'm not even sure that applies to oratory.
Story-telling primarily verbal; certainly body movements can factor in (in no small part because humans naturally tend to "speak with their hands"), but that's not the primary part of it. Many court jesters would also use Performance as part of their, well, performance, but I think it's obvious that Public Speaking doesn't cover juggling and the like - it covers the talky bits. Indeed, one could certainly argue that a story teller who makes good use of body movements to enhance the story is utilizing Performance as a complementary skill, and many jesters are likely to do similar.

Quote:
In a LARP, the other participants are performers, so your speech is directed to other performers. But they are also the primary audience, so your speech is directed at the audience.
By that interpretation either the acting form of Performance doesn't exist (because you can always claim the other actors are actually your audience) or there's a bizarre split where what skill you use is based entirely on who you perceive to be your audience.
Old 11-30-2023, 02:37 PM   #53
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I don't see how that applies to story-telling or jesting at all, quite the opposite.
There is a lot of variation, but as other posters noted above, not everyone in remains in character most of the time. In many or most cases, the physical actions of LARP players are largely narrated. You're not even allowed to do fight-y things in Vampire LARPs. Rock-paper-scissors. That's it.
You are allowed to inhabit the physicality of your character. That's not speaking, that's performing. You also are allowed to interact with props, which is also not speaking.

Quote:
The only things that are consistently mimed in that kind of LARP are facial expressions and verbal punctuation, things that are characteristic of Public Speaking.
I think if someone was giving a improvisational speech, in character, (a thing which I do quite a lot for some reason), that's both Performance and Public Speaking, probably best as the lower of the two skills. Certainly a speech I might be called on to make as myself has different considerations than a speech made by a post-apocalyptic military commander, or a 15th century Deptford upright man, or whatever. Neither of those guys stands the way I do, or uses my body language, and they both have very different dialects and diction then I do.

I really don't understand the resistance here to calling improvisation-in-the-round a type of Performance.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 02:51 PM   #54
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I think if someone was giving a improvisational speech, in character, (a thing which I do quite a lot for some reason), that's both Performance and Public Speaking, probably best as the lower of the two skills. Certainly a speech I might be called on to make as myself has different considerations than a speech made by a post-apocalyptic military commander, or a 15th century Deptford upright man, or whatever. Neither of those guys stands the way I do, or uses my body language, and they both have very different dialects and diction then I do.
Yes. For example, back in the oughts, I appeared at a science fiction convention as one of two participants in a debate over whether the wizarding world should maintain its separation from the muggle world, or should reveal itself and assimilate. I took the latter side; a friend of mine took the former, in the role of Lucius Malfoy. We were debating, and that was Public Speaking, but we were debating in the role of people who were not us, and that was Performance (but everyone knew, for example, that my friend was not Lord Malfoy, so it wasn't Acting).

Quote:
I really don't understand the resistance here to calling improvisation-in-the-round a type of Performance.
Nor do I. GURPS skills tend to be broadly defined, and it's sometimes necessary to have them include borderline cases that may not precisely fit the verbal definition, but that have the essential elements.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:42 PM   #55
pawsplay

Broadly defined, yes, but Performance states performance on stage or screen. Improv in the round isn't that.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acting, lying, misleading, performance