Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2017, 12:52 AM   #1
dirtcheap

Default Can I use 4e rules to play Conan solo adventures?

I want to learn the system and I have the 4e core books, and came across the first Conan solo book pretty cheap. I would like to play online with a group either sci-fi or fantasy but thought I would give this a spin.

Will I be tripped up if I make my own character to play the game and will some of the rules not make sense? Or should I try to find a used 3e core book and use that to get a handle on basic gameplay?

Would really like to concentrate on 4e. I searched these forums quite a bit and could not find a conversion example so maybe I am missing something obvious or its simply not that big a deal to use 4e rules?

Thanks.
dirtcheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:14 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Can I use 4e rules to play Conan solo adventures?

There are some significant differences between 3e and 4e. Fortunately, GURPS Update is a free download which should help you translate the 3e stats to their 4e counterparts, so that you can run the 3e adventures in 4e.

Highlights: ST is handled differently between the editions, so that large creatures don't have ST scores in the triple or even quadruple digits; Fatigue and Hit Points have swapped base scores; half-point skills are a thing of the past, there is no definite disad cap (though the rule set still recommends having one, but recognizes that the GM sets the cap, not the rules).

One other thing to know: a 100 point 3e character comes to about 150 points in 4e.

Hope this helps you out.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:08 AM   #3
mlangsdorf

Poking through my copy of Beyond Thunder River, I think you mostly should be fine.

Most of the key differences between 2nd/3rd edition and 4th edition are in character creation and point values; you can pretty much ignore them for purposes of the adventure.

Four things that did change in a way that will effect play:
In 2nd/3rd, your HT determine your number of HP, while your ST determined your number of FP. Some creatures had split HT, with the second number being their number of HP. I'd just use the 4th edition rule.

In 2nd/3rd, size is the number of hexes on a 1 yard hex map the creature takes up, while in 4th, size modifier is an abstract value. I'd just eyeball it.

In 2nd/3rd, defenses were calculated differently than in 4th. I'd just use the 4th edition scheme as its easy to figure out.

In 2nd, (at least in my copy of Beyond Thunder River), damage was written as x+y, where x is the number of dice and y is a modifier. Subsequent editions have moved to the xd+y which is a little clearer. Shouldn't really matter but knowing that will make reading the stats a little clearer.

Good luck with your learning experience.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
Ronnke

FYI. There are 4 Conan solo adventures available. Last time I checked they were still available in PDF from Warehouse 23.

You won't have an issue at all running through them. You can use the stats as given, with one exception. You will see mention of PD, simply add this value to any active defense roll you make for the NPCs. PD (passive defense) doesn't exist in 4th Ed, but it works kinda like DB (defense bonus) which was introduced in 4e.

eg. A Gunderman Pikeman has a Dodge of 5, Parry 6, Bock 4, he wears chainmail with PD3,DR4, and had a small shield with PD 2. If the Gunderman was to dodge, then he'd do it at 5+3+2 = 10. Parry would be at 6+3+2 = 11, and Block would be 4+3+2 = 9.

Other than that, just remember HP=ST, Will=IQ, Per=IQ, FP=HT, as these stats aren't given in the books.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcheap View Post
…should I try to find a used 3e core book and use that to get a handle on basic gameplay?
Do not do this. The purpose is to teach yourself GURPS 4th ed. in a fun way. Adding 3rd ed. content to your noggin would be counterproductive to your actual goal.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
corwyn

If you are looking for help understanding gurps combat, which is all these choose your path solo adventures will help you with for the most part, check out Mook's site. It has some really good combat examples, turn by turn.

http://www.themook.net/rpg/

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conan