Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-02-2010, 05:04 AM   #11
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Blocking attacks against another character.

It is common in the fantasy novels I read, have two swords men who are fighting back to back to parry for each other.

I would say any attack that passes though your reach can be parried at normal cost even if it is aimed at another. Though with out the benefits of Retreat. If this would unread your weapon if you were parrying for yourself then it will also do so for parrying for another, other not.

I might treat it like the shield wall perk basied on the same novels describing the fighters that do so were often trained together being pointed out in the scene
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
Neroange

Some assumptions about my first post:

Dodging: its in basic set (that was easy)

Parry: two players are standing side-by-side, player A on the left, player B on the right (A B). player B was stunned on the last turn, so is -4 to all defense rolls, Bad guy attacks B from his front right hex, player A tries to parry this attack, he has to reach across the body of player B to make the parry, ( My assumptions are that B isn't hurt by the sharp pointy going by him (-1), and that this is not easy so there are penalties to it. based on the penalties for Striking into Close Combat (BS p.392)(-2) Total (-3). the unready or dropped weapon is for the chance that your arm is bumped. (note: an edit the first post the roll is against DX or Weapon Skill).

Blocking: shields have no reach, so in example above, player A would have to step into player Bs hex, I don't count this move against player As' retreat options, but do penalize him (note: an edit to first post the roll is against DX or shield, also if you make the roll your shield is still ready, but defense rolls are at -2 (not -4), If you fail the roll shield is unready and defense rolls are at -4 while you regain your balance).
Neroange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neroange View Post
Parry:

Blocking:
Why not just use the rules for Sacrificial Parry and Shield Wall Training (both on PU:2 page 7, and also IIRC in GURPS Martial Arts)
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
Neroange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
Block - Shield Wall Training (Perk from Martial Arts)
I don't have MA so I haven't seen its write-up, but as I understand the concept not only do you have a person on your left and right but they do as well, the last man in line is exposed, and would not gain the benefits of the formation, also my mage with 1 pt in broadsword and 1 pt in shield may not want to put any points into an esoteric Martial Arts perk, but may need to save a friend.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I don't have MA so I haven't seen its write-up, but as I understand the concept not only do you have a person on your left and right but they do as well, the last man in line is exposed, and would not gain the benefits of the formation,
No it only requires that you be standing next to the person you are blocking for.
Quote:
also my mage with 1 pt in broadsword and 1 pt in shield may not want to put any points into an esoteric Martial Arts perk, but may need to save a friend.
If you allow them as a regular combat options you completely nerf Sacrificial Parry and half-nerfs Shield Wall Training. This might not be a problem, but will certainly make people who take those traits irritated, so you should make it clear they aren't allowed.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
Kalzazz

Ill admit I vaguely see it as a case where it might penalize your own defense, parrying a blow thats not aimed at you draws your sword away more than one at you

I dont recall it being a hugely problematic thing though from my memories of LARPing
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #17
Neroange

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
No it only requires that you be standing next to the person you are blocking for.
If you allow them as a regular combat options you completely nerf Sacrificial Parry and half-nerfs Shield Wall Training. This might not be a problem, but will certainly make people who take those traits irritated, so you should make it clear they aren't allowed.

How So?
A little back ground first, I was a gamer for about 10 years, but haven't gamed in about 7 years, the only books I have to date is basic set and Ultra tech.
Lets take my character with 1 pt. in broadsword and 1 pt in shield. he saw one of the combat characters parry a blow aimed at another character in the last fight, now he finds that he needs to try to do it to. he does NOT have Sacrificial Parry. My questions: 1. can he try to do this? 2.what skill would it be based on? 3. What penalty would I have to that skill? 4. what does Sacrificial parry give me?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
How So?
If somebody uses up a combat perk slot in order to get a perk, and then it turns out that there's a house rule that effectively gives anyone that perk for free then he's probably going to be annoyed that the GM didn't tell him that in advance, or at least when he saw it on the character's sheet.

Quote:
1. can he try to do this?
By RAW, no.
Quote:
2.what skill would it be based on? 3. What penalty would I have to that skill?
If you wanted to allow it it should be based on Broadsword Parry. I suppose you could back engineer Sacrificial Parry and assume that it actually just buys off a penalty rather than allows a completely new option. In which case then it should probably be Parry-2.
Quote:
4. what does Sacrificial parry give me?
The ability to parry attacks made on allies standing next to you if your weapon has enough Reach.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #19
zylosan

Quote:
Getting hit by the attack yourself isn't a downside?
I was kind of operating from the assumption that intercepting the attack allowed the blocking/parrying etc to become the target of the attack. Not to parry the attack and negate any successful strike.
zylosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #20
Neroange

Quote:
If somebody uses up a combat perk slot in order to get a perk, and then it turns out that there's a house rule that effectively gives anyone that perk for free then he's probably going to be annoyed that the GM didn't tell him that in advance, or at least when he saw it on the character's sheet.

By RAW, no.
can you site your source book and page please.
This sound like a breakdown in the rule system going from 3e to 4e. One of the unique aspects of GURPS is it use of defaults, except for double defaults and extremely complex and SUBTLE skills/actions, if you can think of it you can try it.

Tags
active defence, active defense