Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #171
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
So is the food suppressant free now?

Hua isn't sure if this batch is. It quite possibly is, because you've disrupted normality, and it quite possibly isn't, because the suppressant pills are still around. In the future it will have the suppressants in it though, unless you find a way to avoid those.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #172
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Hua isn't sure if this batch is. It quite possibly is, because you've disrupted normality, and it quite possibly isn't, because the suppressant pills are still around. In the future it will have the suppressants in it though, unless you find a way to avoid those.
So are the pills crushed up and thrown in, or could they be picked out?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #173
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Daymar hears the alarms for the other two fires, spaced out by about 20 minutes. Neither of them are nearly as close to the edge of the ship as the other two fires, so he doesn't get more work because of them. The timing feels off though: ideally all three fires should break out at the same time.

The Rumors start immediately. There are lots of ideas:
  • Dreadstormers are trying to sabotoge the ship so it won't show up in time for a battle
  • Dreadstormers are trying to take this ship tonight
  • Dreadstormers are attacking the food stores
  • Other Saboteurs are trying to weaken and disable the ship.
  • The electricians from the latest refit were working for Jakorbi or the Quinta Republic.
  • The electricians from the latest refit are incompentent nincompoops who only get work because the owner is related to a corrupt provisioner
  • A bizarre hyperspace surge or something hit the ship and little fires will be burning everywhere.

Daymar works at keeping the ship in hyperspace properly, and does a fine job. He and Pothi will look important in the next few days. Also, they will look very busy, and be very tired and stressed, and down 2 FP.

In the morning, schedules are adjusted, and the dreadstormers know that the officers are meeting to discuss food rationing, psionic suppressants, the cause of the fires, and hunting down any dissidents or subversives hiding in their ranks.

Breakfast is made from food reclamation pellets today: gritty stuff with the consistency of pet food. The Cooks do their best to make it edible.
Day is a bit concerned at the timing of the fires, but there's nothing he can do about it, so he for now he applies himself to his work with Pothi.

He will try to steer Pothi away from believing in rumours of Dreadstormers, telling him, "Never chalk up to malice what can be attributed to incompetence."

At breakfast, he grumbles at the meal, "So, we bust our butts all night and this is what we get?! It's almost enough to put me off my appetite."

OOC: When is his meeting with Hua?
Old 10-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #174
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
So are the pills crushed up and thrown in, or could they be picked out?
Dissolved in the food for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
He will try to steer Pothi away from believing in rumours of Dreadstormers, telling him, "Never chalk up to malice what can be attributed to incompetence."
"So you think someone hired some really poor electricians?"

Quote:
At breakfast, he grumbles at the meal, "So, we bust our butts all night and this is what we get?! It's almost enough to put me off my appetite."
"The indignities of war" Pothi laments with him. "And you complained about gruel before!"
Quote:
OOC: When is his meeting with Hua?
Monday, its now Saturday morning.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #175
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
"So you think someone hired some really poor electricians?"
"Poor, distracted, lazy...take your pick. We, of course, are the epitome of what you might expect from the Zorbani Navy!"

Quote:
"The indignities of war" Pothi laments with him. "And you complained about gruel before!"
"I'm sure it's not enough to put you off your appetite! I'm not sure that could be done!"

Does Day still have reason to be confident that his food will be clear of psi-suppressants?

Although suspicions are high following the fires, Daymar is going to start looking for an opportunity to get his hands on a sidearm. Suggestion is likely to play a role: that a security officer set down his sidearm, or leave the door to the armoury unlocked, etc.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:04 PM   #176
TGLS

Quote:
Find a way to destroy the ship's flour supplies. Perhaps by arranging an accident where it gets wet and spoils. Then swap the supplemental drug pills with other pills that look similar. or destroy them.
OK, on to step 2. What can I roll to find replacement pills?
Old 10-07-2020, 06:02 AM   #177
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
OK, on to step 2. What can I roll to find replacement pills?
Scrounging is the most obvious. Search is not a bad idea. If you have pharmacy or some sort of relevant artist that might work. This is the sort of thing they train you on as a dreadstormer, so soldier (at -2) probably works. First Aid at (-2) probably works as well. Looking at your sheet, Cooking sounds relevant, And housekeeping at a (-2) penalty may work as well. You can roll up to three skills, with the extras serving as complementary rolls.

The ship has put some effort into making the pills difficult to confuse with other things that could be around the ship. You may need to do some additional work to complete the disguise.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #178
TGLS

Right.

[108] 20-10-07 19:46:35 CEST
Cooking
3d6 <= 13
1 + 3 + 1 = 5 ... success

[107] 20-10-07 19:46:09 CEST
Soldier, First Aid (at -2 each)
3d6 <= 12
1: 6 + 6 + 2 = 14 ... failure
2: 1 + 2 + 2 = 5 ... success
Old 10-08-2020, 04:04 AM   #179
GnomesofZurich

Quote:

Does Day still have reason to be confident that his food will be clear of psi-suppressants?

Although suspicions are high following the fires, Daymar is going to start looking for an opportunity to get his hands on a sidearm. Suggestion is likely to play a role: that a security officer set down his sidearm, or leave the door to the armoury unlocked, etc.
@ericthered: Note my question above about psi-suppressants and Day's intention to try to secure a sidearm.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:25 PM   #180
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
@ericthered: Note my question above about psi-suppressants

Daymar has already messed with the cook's minds and he knows they won't be putting the pills in the reclamation pellets. As long as there isn't a new cook in the kitchen.

Quote:
Right.
[108]
Cooking
Soldier, First Aid (at -2 each)
That's some nice rolling. Hua has already figured out what she's going to replace the pills with. She's noticed one of her 25 bunkmates taking a rare oral medication. Its stored in too parts, and the filler portion is cheap and easily to mold and shape, and its just the right color for the psi-suppressant pills. she's not sure where the filler is kept (perhaps it was covered in training, but then so much is covered in a dreadstormers training), but the bunkmate should know...

Saturday at lunch entire thirds of sections are called up to the vehicle deck on level three. Here, entire sections of the ship are called up and given a lecture by Captain Zonor Thuto.

"Before, we had set out to go to war. Last night, the war came to us! Three fires, all nearby the food stores. This is without a doubt sabotage! and not only sabotage, but dreadstormer sabotage! In our midst, quite possibly among you, is an agenta of the Quinta! The Quinta thrive on division and deception. They claim they are not fighting, then send their most prized assets right into our heart. They are strongest in the shadows, when we are bending the rules, when we are relaxing for person pleasure instead of doing our duty! "

"I say this not to strike terror into your hearts, but to make you wary. Someone will die at the hands of these dreadstormers. He who takes a psionic sneak with him, even just be identifying him, has won the battle. If the Quinta cannot take this ship from us, their calculations will be off, and we will have won our war. The fate of the Zorbani Union lies in your ability to discipline yourselves."

At the end of the speech, you are formed into a line and each soldier in turn is given a pill and is watched while it is swallowed.

Quote:
and Day's intention to try to secure a sidearm.
What day is he looking to do that? What time of day? where will Pothi be? what part of the ship do you want to try this in? Do you want to target officers or security (I think you said security)? Earlier we talked about types of weapons. Are you aiming for a personal weapon, an issued weapon, or a spare weapon (that is checked for missing periodically?)