Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Tallor

Default Eyes of Death and Unseen Targets

The DF monster Eye of Death is pretty creative. Its low HP and DR 0 make it vulnerable, but it has a very high dodge and can sneak into the shadows. It can also do toxic damage to any individual it can see, which is almost anything!

My question is, can it make "blind shots" to individuals it can't actually see? For instance, a target it knows where it is, but isn't visible--such as one hiding in a closet, behind a big rock, covered by a pavise, etc.?
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Eyes of Death and Unseen Targets

I'd say no, it needs to have a clear line of effect to a target to hit it - the writeup mentions using Vibration Sense to "line up a good angle of attack against foes they can't see" (emphasis in original). "Angle of attack", to me, suggests that they're maneuvering to bring the target in line, not just staring through solid material.

Also, I think the Eye of Death being able to attack through solid walls is just a bit too harsh for typical Dungeon Fantasy. If it could, with Vibration Sense, an Eye of Death could be hiding behind a 10-yard wall and just gaze the party walking by to death with almost no chance of retalitation or survival at all. Save the barrier-ignoring Eyes for really high-powered DF, where the party actually can go through 20 yards of rock in a turn or two.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
Nereidalbel

They can ignore things like smoke, Obscure, and most forms of Illusion and Invisibility. Cover, however, is a solid barrier that stops their attack. At least, that's how I interpret them.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
Tallor

So what about something like a cloak or a curtain?
Old 11-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
So what about something like a cloak or a curtain?
Probably not clothing, no. Otherwise it would be too easy to be immune to them.

If you really need a rule anything that doesn't provide cover DR generally shouldn't be helpful.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Probably not clothing, no. Otherwise it would be too easy to be immune to them.

If you really need a rule anything that doesn't provide cover DR generally shouldn't be helpful.
I mean having a cloak, probably held in both hands like a bedsheet, between you and the Eye, preventing it from actually seeing you. It can see the sheet, and knows where you are, but since it can't see through solid objects, it can't identify a solid target outline. Just throwing ideas around.

Tags
elder thing, eye of death, firing penalty