Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #51
benz72

Default Re: [Magic] 1001 Standard Magic Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
From Steelwraith, Magic, p54:

Emphasis mine. Neither the spell nor the enchantment can give a weapon cosmic penetration against metal armor (though a GM might let you try to cast Steelwraith on your victim's armor...)
True, but it does not say that the spell cannot be cast on a weapon. (or if it does, I don't see it)
Further, the ensorcel enchantment merely changes the duration of a maintainable spell to permanent. If there is something that forbids this, please quote that. I do agree that the listed steelwraith enchantment doeas NOT include a permanent weapon enchantment. but that's not the route I'm going.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #52
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Magic p.54 for Streelwraith. The text says the subject is rendered intabgible to the touch of metal and the pronoun "him" is used multiple times.

Even more relevant is Magioc p.60 for Ensorcerel. The text there refers to the Enchntment being placed on a "single being". There has been some unofficial discussion involving using Ensorcerel to apply permanent Spells to objects as well as beings. However, this is not RAW and steelwraith is not cast on objects anyway.

You may have or have encountered House Rules that allow for such a thing as you suggest but it's not RAW and should be off-topic for a thread about _Standard_ Magic Items.
P54 "Renders the SUBJECT intangible to the touch of metal"
P7 "The “subject” of a spell is the person, place, or thing upon which the
spell is cast. If you are casting a spell on yourself, you are both caster and
subject. The subject can also be another being, an inanimate object, or even
a patch of ground."

I would not take the male pronouns to imply that the subject necessarily has to be living any more than I would that the subject has to be male. (I assume you agree that a woman is a legitimate subject for a steelwraith spell)

Could you also please reference the unofficial discussion of legitimate ensorcelment subjects. I do not see "being" defined in the front matter.

As an asside, If the sword had been infused with a weapon spirit from a malle hound (P 64) would your objections still hold?

Sorry for the derail, if this gets more involved I'll repost as a seperate topic.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #53
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
Could you also please reference the unofficial discussion of legitimate ensorcelment subjects. I do not see "being" defined in the front matter.
How about we reference Magic p.60 under Ensorcel at the end of the first sentence "cast on a single being". You can not rules lawyer a sword into a being. A sword is an object.

I will agree that an "object" can sometimes be a "sunject" but even for unofficial Ensorcementl you still need a spell whose effects on objects is defined. Steelwraith does not mention "Oh, by the way this spell lets you piece any metal armor when cast on a weapon.". I think that would have been mentioned if intended. By contrast, Resist Fire does protect things the subject is holding.

You may assume that anything that is not explicitly forbidden is alowed if you like. At your own private gaming table it might be. The GM is allowed to change any rules he wishes. That still does not make it part of the standard rules.

If you really want to look for unofficial discussion of using Ensorcel on objects you won't find it in the Magic book. That's part of what makes it unofficial. You could use the search fuinction of these forums.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #54
pjason

A bit more on topic from the above, but still addressing it...

Item Name: Spear of the Gods
Description: An incredible spear that allows the wielder to bypass any armor of any foe.
Materials Cost: $1,480 Spear (Fine, +1 to damage, +2 CF; Balanced, +4 CF; Orichalcum, +29 CF; Ornate 1, +1 CF)
Enchantments: Penetrating Weapon (Ignores) 25,000 mana.
Notes: -
Price: $626,480
pjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #55
cbower

Item Name: Bitter Wounds
Item Type: Enchanted spear
Description: A black spear made with an unearthly skill.
Price: $215,010.
Materials Cost: $2,160.
Enchantment Cost: $212,850.
Enchantments: Name at 20 (1,200 energy, page M68,) Penetrating Weapon (3) at 20 (2,250 energy, page M63,) Slow Healing (-5) at 20 (3,000 energy, page M153)
Function: Wounds made by the spear are difficult to heal. All attempts at healing the wounds this weapon makes are at -5, and this ability functions in low mana. The wielder must be able to speak the spear's name to use it, but this name has been lost to common knowledge. The weapon also has an Armor Divisor of (3).
Notes: A Very Fine, Balanced spear.

Code:
Weapon        Damage       Reach Parry  Cost  Weight ST Notes
Bitter Wounds thr+4(3) imp 1*      0   $2,160   4    10 Very Fine; wounds made are healed at -5
   two handed thr+5(3) imp 1,2*    0      -     -    9† -

Last edited by cbower; 12-16-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Miscalculated the $ cost of the enchantments.
cbower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #56
William

pjason: Impressive list of items. You've boosted this thread to the point where I'm bookmarking it for reference.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #57
pjason

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
pjason: Impressive list of items. You've boosted this thread to the point where I'm bookmarking it for reference.
thx! I'm honored. :)
Old 12-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #58
Stripe

Yeah, PJ, great list of items! :)

You might want to note what you're using as your cost for the Slow-and-Sure method and what you're suing as your point break between Quick-and-Dirty and Slow-and-Sure. I don't think it's the standard $33/pt Slow-and-Sure or the Dungeon Fantasy $20/pt. Slow-and-Sure either...
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman

Last edited by Stripe; 12-15-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #59
Dwarf99

this thread is great, is there any chance of a thread on Artifact level weapons? I got one but not sure what Power Item Level to put it at...
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #60
pjason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Yeah, PJ, great list of items! :)

You might want to note what you're using as your cost for the Slow-and-Sure method and what you're suing as your point break between Quick-and-Dirty and Slow-and-Sure. I don't think it's the standard $33/pt Slow-and-Sure or the Dungeon Fantasy $20/pt. Slow-and-Sure either...
doh, thx... I used $25/pt mistakenly. I'll edit the lists to have both the DF and Standard when I get a chance.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, magic items