Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #21
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: New Traits since Basic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
What about Excommunicated from GURPS Dungeon Fantasy?
Cause Social Sigma (Excommunicated) is on B155 so it's not a new form

Last edited by roguebfl; 10-02-2012 at 08:48 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #22
JCurwen3

One specialization of Guns skill that is easy to miss is Guns (Wrist Gun), on High Tech, p. 98. It's listed in a box I think rather than in a Traits/Skills section.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #23
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
They don't. I was just wondering, and I do understand if you don't want to go through all the books again, I really do.
A quick search finds only a few references to New Techniques, so I might see about adding those soooner, and leave a careful check until later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
You must have spent a crap-ton of money on GURPS supplements?
I own roughly 75% of 4e publications (all PDF now), bought over 7 years since e23 began. That adds up to about the same as a decent laptop, which is more than I thought, but doesn't seem too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Anyone else wonder if a google docs spreadsheet, with write permissions for the trusted forumites, is a better way to store this 'compendium of trait sources' than a [code] post?

(IMHO the spreadsheet would provide neat formatting, easy searchability, ease of access, and download-friendliness.)
A spreadsheet is how I have all of the trait data, but it's definitely not reasonable to share all that data publically. If you want to host and maintain it I can remove all of the extra data - but it's probably easier just to cut and paste the fixed-width data from my posts here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
This looks like an excellent resource, but putting the material between CODE tags makes scrolling through the longer lists needlessly complicated.
That is a little awkward, but I personally prefer the tidy formatting the CODE tag provides. - I suppose I could change the font to a fixed-width font and remove the CODE tag. EDIT: Fixed Font doesn't work, it removes the alignment spaces if you don't have a CODE tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
One specialization of Guns skill that is easy to miss is Guns (Wrist Gun), on High Tech, p. 98. It's listed in a box I think rather than in a Traits/Skills section.
Thanks, added.

Last edited by SCAR; 10-03-2012 at 01:39 AM.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #24
cybermancer2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
I don't think this is what happened. The Basic Set is remarkably complete. Add in Powers, which gives some traits that are more flexible/abuseable but necessary for creating some very specialized applications, and you have most of the traits in the game.

In the years since those two books, we've seen supplements add clarifications, new applications of old powers, or entirely new traits intended to patch the game to fit particular situations. Some divergence over time is to be expected.

Look at PU:Perks. Fantastic supplement, and encyclopedic for perks when it came out. Of course, other perks have been invented since. Going back and somehow shoe-horning it into the already-published supplements is impractical. And if it's a good idea, why sit on it until some mythical 5th ed? So we have to live with a little cruft.
I have both of those supplements. And I understand that over time new items will be added. My point is that there are enough new traits/perks/what-have-you that they can be collected into one volume. I'm not proposing re-inventing the wheel; just collecting the new traits in one place. Buying one pub as opposed to ten, as it were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
"Allowing"?

The reason for Compendium I and Compendium II was that all those traits were scattered all over the place among different pubs in 3e - paper pubs that were often out of print and hard to find!

4e is being much more prompt in this edition about trying to collect things with the Power Ups line.

The new traits are created for a product when the author (or an editor or a playtester) has the idea and thinks it's relevant to that product.
And you missed my point completely. I get the reason for the Compendiums. The same situation is occurring here. While the e-books aren't in danger of going OOP, the fact remains that there is information scattered among many different products. Look at the lists Scar has been posting and you'll readily see what I'm talking about. Now I own a great many of these, but not all. And while I'm happy to throw as much of my (very) limited funds at SJG as I can, I'm not about to buy entire products that I may or may not use just to get hold of 1-3 paragraphs worth of information. I'm merely proposing that all the new traits from the various products be collected into one e-book, Power-Ups notwithstanding. And I used the word "allowing" because (as was pointed out in another thread I read; no, I'm not going hunting for it again) if information that has multiple applications (and most GURPS traits do) appears in a new pub, then it makes people want to buy that pub. Nothing wrong with that, but as I stated, my funds are limited.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #25
dataweaver

There's a Style! Wildcard Skill (actually, an open-ended set of skills, one per Style) in GURPS Martial Arts, page 60.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #26
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermancer2k1 View Post
Well done! And thanks for the hard work. These lists not only point me quickly to items I need to look up, they give me ideas on what products to buy next.
Seconded (or thirded or whichever).

Quote:
That being said, while I see what SJG is trying to do by allowing these traits to be scattered among different pubs, I'd still like to see them gathered in one place, a la the old Compendium I and II.
At the very least it would be nice if generically useful content found in genre books was released somehow. Would it be possible after a certain time has passed since publication to sell single-page .pdf to order from the books?
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #27
Vaevictis Asmadi

Does anyone know where I can look up whether these traits are Mental/Social/Physical, Mundane/Exotic/Supernatural, and their costs? I mean only what would go on a trait list or spreadsheet, not their rules text. (I'm adding non-Basic traits to a sortable trait spreadsheet I found on a blog.)

Some of these are listed on the GURPS Wiki, but many aren't mentioned there.

I'm not asking anyone to search through books for me (unless you want to) but asking if there's anywhere they've already been written down.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 01-01-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alphabetical, traits