Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Davies

Default True Sight

Okay, I have a problematic ability that I'm trying to create for my next character. Technically, it's a conversion.

Essentially, it's "true sight". The character cannot be fooled by any (visual) illusion, can see through any obscuring effect, is unaffected by invisibility. And it has to work through vision, since she loses all of this if she loses her ability to see (by being blinded) so it can't be some sort of Scanning Sense.

How would you build this?

Chris Davies.
Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
Langy

Default Re: True Sight

See Invisibility with the True Sight enhancement from Powers.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

It's going to be a meta trait of multi abilities, but all of them are going to have Sense Based (Visuial) to cover the fact you actually have to see.

Well True site is limited, depending the campaign. True sight (Magical) would not see though Invisibility (Chi) but this is only an issue if both Magic and Chi are both available in the world.

Also i'm unclear weather True Site would penetrate obscure.

Last edited by roguebfl; 07-26-2010 at 12:34 AM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
Refplace

Yep, several abilities.
See Invisible with True Sight as a Wildcard Power if allowed. See Supers p41.
If not See Invisible with True Sight lets you see through camouflage, illusions and Blur so I would say covers Obscure.
Note that as pointed out above you would need to buy it for magical and Chi if there both allowed and you want to counter both.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
Langy

If there's more than one power source, you could probably take Cosmic +100% (or possibly +150%, or +50%) to get True Sight that penetrates all power sources, similar to how Invisibility works with Extended.

EDIT: Actually, that's just Cosmic +50% - it's mentioned specifically in the power write-up that as a Cosmic power, it can defeat any power-based invisibility (so anything besides actual, physical camouflage, for the most part).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
Okay, I have a problematic ability that I'm trying to create for my next character. Technically, it's a conversion.

Essentially, it's "true sight". The character cannot be fooled by any (visual) illusion, can see through any obscuring effect, is unaffected by invisibility. And it has to work through vision, since she loses all of this if she loses her ability to see (by being blinded) so it can't be some sort of Scanning Sense.

How would you build this?
If you want to see through Obscuring effects *and* not be fooled by any visual illusion including camoflage and mirrors and secret doors, you pretty much have to go with some other kind of sense power, but that should be okay because it is easy enough to modify it to work as if via very keen oberservation. POWERS, p.105, allows Sense Based to apply to the *user's* senses, so you can buy Para-Radar at -20% off, since it only works where the person is able to stare unrebuked for however long it takes to visually search the concealed subjects.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Davies

Thanks, I think I have my ability now.

True Sight: Dark Vision (Divine, -10%) [23] and See Invisible (Cosmic, Defeats any invisibility, +50%; Divine, -10%; True Sight, +20%) [24]

I considered using the Wildcard power rules, but decided that since See Invisible does most of the work, I'd only ever be using it to add Dark Vision ... and it's cheaper to just buy Dark Vision.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Chris Davies.
Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
See Invisible (Cosmic, Defeats any invisibility, +50%; Divine, -10%; True Sight, +20%) [24]
+50% seems too cheap, for comparision Terrain Adaptation works on any terrain is +300%.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
+50% seems too cheap, for comparision Terrain Adaptation works on any terrain is +300%.
That +50% comes from the Cosmic Tiered Source, not the +50% break one rule.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
IrishRover

If you're using the true sight I remember from one version of D&D, it neatly cuts through illusions and invisibility...but mundane camoflage is really there, so THAT works nicely. Likewise, it shows other temporary changes made bu magic, like a shapechanged dragon. It doesn't detect magic, though.