Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-05-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
nick012000

Default [GURPS: Ultratech] Implants without Unhealing?

How do you properly stat up implants that replace body parts, but are capable of healing themselves? Examples might be a liquid metal arm, or a pair of ear replacements that use biological ear material, but function as cable jacks (with the connections being made with piercings) and utilize a pair of chips as an intermediary between ear and brain? In the latter case, the chips might be Unhealing (and are certainly Electrical), but the ears themselves aren't.

Should Mitigator (Cybernetic) be treated as though it had Temporary Disadvantages, and removing Unhealing and/or Maintenance (for solid-state items that shouldn't need it) would increase its value? By my calculations, it's got -55% worth of Temporary Disadvantages on it; this puts its "original" value at -155.555... %, and I'm not entirely sure how that'd work. If that is correct, then removing Unhealing would knock it down to -116.666... %, and that doesn't seem quite right. Taken literally, you'd literally have to pay points to get a disadvantage, and that seems off.

EDIT: Oops, wrong forum. Ask the mods to move, please.

Last edited by nick012000; 07-05-2009 at 11:58 PM.
nick012000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Langy

Default Re: [GURPS: Ultratech] Implants without Unhealing?

I'd just increase the value of the Mitigator to -80% instead of -70%. Since -80% is the highest possible limitation cost, it doesn't much matter how much or how little it would actually turn up to be.

This way you get less points back for the disadvantage in question - i.e. it's worth less as a disadvantage if it isn't unhealing.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
nick012000

Fair enough.

Another question: if you've got a holdout laser Disguised as an earring (x2 Cost), and have it rigged to fire with a DNI (and you display a crosshair on a HUD and aim with your head), do you need Extra Arm (Weapon Mount) to fire it hands-free?
nick012000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #4
Langy

So long as it can be fired by, say, voice or something else, I don't see why you'd need Extra Arm (Weapon Mount). Gear can take the place of advantages, and that's just a special combination of gear. It's up to the GM if that technology exists in his universe, however. If you have a laser small enough to be an earing I don't see why you can't, though.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
traits, ultra-tech