Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-12-2024, 01:18 PM   #1
Kaspar

Default Anybody with experience with 1000+ cp superhero campaigns?

Planning to run a superhero game, with the characters being amongst the most powerful supes in the world. Bu the pricing of high levels of Strength, DR and Innate Attack doesn’t really work beyond the confines of a low-tech fantasy settings. The difference between a 100 ST character and a 200 ST character certainly is not worth 1000 cp. Maybe 50 cp at best. Same with enough DR to be immune to small arms.

For me, I really don’t see the need for a strength beyond ‘can toss tanks and smash skyscrapers’ but even that is too pricy by RAW.

Do you have any suggestions for alternate rules here?
Kaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 01:39 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Anybody with experience with 1000+ cp superhero campaigns?

Sounds to me like you may want KYOS (Knowing Your Own Strength, from one of the Alternate GURPS Pyramid isssues).

One house rule I'm using with my space opera game's psychokinetic and psychometabolic psionic powers, and which may be relevant to supers, is to scale the effective DR granted by powers (though not equipment) by the SSRT while keeping the price per level the same:
1 level [5] = DR 3
2 levels [10] = DR 5
3 levels [15] = DR 7
4 levels [20] = DR 10
10 levels [50] = DR 100
16 levels [80] = DR 1000
etc.

Combine with "Cosmic: Does Not Round Up to 1 (+50%)" on higher levels of Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction) for folks who are meant to be highly durable. High levels of IT:DR can go a long way.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 01:40 PM   #3
pawsplay

Do you have the Powers and Supers books?
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM   #4
Phantasm

One thing to note is that DR 42 will make someone immune to most conventional weapons, up to most police sniper rifles that are chambered in .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm NATO (doing 7d pi); add a level of Hardened for most AP rounds on the market. Most police handguns are 9x19mm Parabellum rounds, doing around 2d+2 pi, so being immune to most police handgun fire (that are not folks like Dirty Harry) is only DR 14.

I don't know how much damage your players are planning to dish out, but being able to tank their own hits with DR and IT:DR is always a plus. This includes costumes/uniforms made with TL 9 Reflex ballistic fabric, if the game permits.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:57 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

From experience with very high pt games in 3e and 4e my advice is to design the characters to match their concept while _ignoring_ point costs.

This requires only one rules change i.e. the one where all characters are supposed to be built on the same number of cp. Off-hand I can't tell you where that rules is anyway. It may be only an "implied" rule.

It also puts an end to "competitive" character building where many players think chargen is a contest of ingenuity and rules knowledge. For Supers especially it should be about getting out of character creation with the character you want to play.

Make the players describe their characters in comic book terms add some questions of your own. For example:

"ApexMan is strong enough to lift and throw a tank, ignore most normal weapons and fly faster than a jet fighter!"

"Gotcha. Has anyone ever taught him how to fight?"

"No, he relies on his natural speed and co-ordination which are quite high."

"Okay. We'll add in some telescopic vision to help spot things while flying, something for high altitude breathing and a natural sense of direction and we might be done after that."
Old 03-12-2024, 02:02 PM   #6
pawsplay

I think one valid approach is to make a 250 point adventurer, and then add whatever powers fit, no budget. Batman gets to be a 550 point character.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 02:35 PM   #7
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
From experience with very high pt games in 3e and 4e my advice is to design the characters to match their concept while _ignoring_ point costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
I think one valid approach is to make a 250 point adventurer, and then add whatever powers fit, no budget. Batman gets to be a 550 point character.
This.

The few times I ran a supers, I had them create a normal character first, usually with 150/-25 or 250/-25 points, or with a template I created. Then I would sit down with them and we would decide what their power was, how it worked, and as the GM I would write it up. After which I would fine tune it so that everyone was closer to "power level" together.

At that point, everyone had different point costs.

When it came to damage, I use my own house rules. For you, I would change Innate attacks to function like Telekinesis. The level is treated as a comparable ST level.

So an innate attack 10 deals the same swing damage as an ST 10 person. This might seem like a major nerf but remember this is still a ranged attack AND at higher levels it will out pace straight ST due to it costing less by default.

Crushing Attack 100 cost 500pts, deals 13d cr. at range.

For 500 points the Brick gets +50 ST, dealing 7d-1 or 9d swing damage, but also has HP 60.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 02:41 PM   #8
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
I have done this to great advantage in my own games. 250 pt. Action characters + build-to-concept for powers works nicely for superhero games that are along the lines of Fantastic Four, Avengers, X-Men, Justice League, Outsiders, adult Titans, etc.; reduce to 75 to 150 pts for "mutant high school" type games (original New Mutants, Generation X, various incarnations of Teen Titans where they're actually teenagers, etc).

The trick is making sure they have room to grow with earned XP.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:30 AM   #9
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
The trick is making sure they have room to grow with earned XP.
In a lot of superhero stories, the characters don't grow much in terms of their powers. I've played in a supers-adjacent game where "character growth" was handled primarily in terms of the story. Defeating enemies, making alliances, building a base, etc. Character points weren't really in play, though players would make adjustments over time to reflect some personal evolution (often just swapping quirks or disads.)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:52 AM   #10
Culture20

I've played with 1000+ characters as a player and GM. Currently running a Marvel based game with one 1200 and several 900ish characters.
The biggest thing to keep in mind is all points aren't equal. Super teams often have great disparity; giants and gods fighting side by side with circus performers and scientists. The adventure scenarios need to be set for the wide variety of the team.
Some things that can greatly beef up a lower point character concept into a higher point range:
* connections to other super teams (contact or ally)
* stumbling upon crimes in progress (serendipity) No one in my current game has this, so they're always playing catchup investigating instead of preventing
* bang skills (sword!, bow!, shield!, detective!)

Regarding 1000+ bricks: Supers has an option for general strength using the Super enhancement at +300% but also remove the cost of fatigue by paying for cosmic (and the reduced fatigue cost), which is essentially always-on massive ST. DR is a different matter, but high levels of Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction is the common way to replicate nigh invulnerability.

You don't need 3000 cp to lift buildings, although lifting buildings might need some sort of enhancement to provide structural stability depending on how close to true physics your world works.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers