Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-19-2018, 05:15 AM   #1
aebrain

Default Miniatures for TFT

There are 4 basic options;

1) Use the counters provided. This has the great advantage of zero cost and complete compatibility. With luck, such difficult to source critters as Octopi and Uncle Teeth will be available too. Disadvantages - flat, aesthetically not very pleasing.

2) Cardboard Heroes - low cost, aesthetically marginally better than the counters, and likely to have some support in future for the aforementioned hard to source critters.

3) 15mm - this was the scale of the long lost official TFT minis put out by Martian Metals ,before their factory burnt down. See https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/ma...tasy-trip.html . I have some, and while the human figures were good and had some charm, the monsters were mediocre, rather spindly, and have not rated well, so if you don't have any, you haven't lost much. There are now many manufacturers of 15mm fantasy figures, some of which are streets ahead in quality. My personal favourites are by Splintered Light miniatures, http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/1518mmfantasy.html but again, sourcing Octopi or the smaller Dragons is problematic. There is also the disadvantage of having to paint them. They fit well on the original Melee and Wizard maps, and by shopping around there are literally dozens of manufacturers so you can get nearly everything.

4) 25 or 28mm Heroic - Older figures are 25mm and look somewhat small compared to the De Facto 28mm standard in use today. For these, you really can't go past Reaper Bones, which are half the cost of metal minis, just as easy to paint, and have only slightly inferior detail compared to the very best metal minis, and better than average. But again, getting the smaller Dragons is difficult, and as for Octopi, I suggest 3D printing one of the freeware 3D models after suitable file conversion, resizing, and adding weapons. These look the best, and are compatible with the new 1.5" hex mats but again require painting. Many gamers will already have significant collections of these for other gaming systems.

Now if only we could get either a Kickstarter for metal minis or persuade SJG to co operate with Reaper to make Octopi, Uncle Teeth, various slimes, and what is sure to be a worst seller. Prootwaddles.
aebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Miniatures for TFT

I actually prefer counters, since they keep things more abstract, allowing imagination to fill in the details.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
Venomous Filigree

I plan on using Okumarts Darkfast Classic Fantasy paper minis
Venomous Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aebrain View Post
There are 4 basic options;

1) Use the counters provided. This has the great advantage of zero cost and complete compatibility. With luck, such difficult to source critters as Octopi and Uncle Teeth will be available too. Disadvantages - flat, aesthetically not very pleasing.

2) Cardboard Heroes - low cost, aesthetically marginally better than the counters, and likely to have some support in future for the aforementioned hard to source critters.

3) 15mm - this was the scale of the long lost official TFT minis put out by Martian Metals ,before their factory burnt down. See https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/ma...tasy-trip.html . I have some, and while the human figures were good and had some charm, the monsters were mediocre, rather spindly, and have not rated well, so if you don't have any, you haven't lost much. There are now many manufacturers of 15mm fantasy figures, some of which are streets ahead in quality. My personal favourites are by Splintered Light miniatures, http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/1518mmfantasy.html but again, sourcing Octopi or the smaller Dragons is problematic. There is also the disadvantage of having to paint them. They fit well on the original Melee and Wizard maps, and by shopping around there are literally dozens of manufacturers so you can get nearly everything.

4) 25 or 28mm Heroic - Older figures are 25mm and look somewhat small compared to the De Facto 28mm standard in use today. For these, you really can't go past Reaper Bones, which are half the cost of metal minis, just as easy to paint, and have only slightly inferior detail compared to the very best metal minis, and better than average. But again, getting the smaller Dragons is difficult, and as for Octopi, I suggest 3D printing one of the freeware 3D models after suitable file conversion, resizing, and adding weapons. These look the best, and are compatible with the new 1.5" hex mats but again require painting. Many gamers will already have significant collections of these for other gaming systems.

Now if only we could get either a Kickstarter for metal minis or persuade SJG to co operate with Reaper to make Octopi, Uncle Teeth, various slimes, and what is sure to be a worst seller. Prootwaddles.
There is a fifth option. Digital... for those who play via the computer. Any company make these "Chits" in digital form to be ported to internet/computer gaming?
Steve, how about making them available as a digital file?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
Chris Rice

I like the pre-painted, D&D and Pathfinder miniatures. They can be expensive to pick up as singles (although you can buy exactly what you like) but if you keep your eye out for a lot, you will often end up paying £1 a piece, which is good value.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Nebless

For myself, I mix them when I play solo. My hero's are 25mm figures and I use the provided counters for all the NPC's.
Nebless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #7
tbeard1999

I'm a huge miniature wargaming fan, so I naturally gravitate towards miniatures. However, as Shotak points out, counters have their advantages. I'd add portability as an advantage.

Personally, I can't say enough good things about the Pathfinder pawns. They are die cut cardboard heroes, printed on thick cardstock (maybe a little thicker than good quality board wargame counters), that easily slot into plastic bases and can easily be removed. This makes them as portable as counters. Oh, and they're absurdly cheap. In the Bestiary 1 box, for instance, you get ~300 minis and an assortment of bases in 4 different sizes for around $38.

The design of the original Cardboard Heroes was driven by early 1980s printing limitations. Diecutting was very expensive (still is, I suspect), so budget game companies (which SJG was in its early years) had no choice but to print counters (one-sided) on thin cardstock so that they could be cut with scissors.

That compromise made them less than optimum, but for a generation of impoverished roleplayers, they were a godsend.

The Pathfinder pawns show just how good cardboard minis can be. I haven't seen the Dungeon Fantasy Cardboard Heroes, but I suspect they're very similar.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
The Wyzard

Flat Plastic Miniatures: http://arcknight.squarespace.com/shop/

Pricey compared to cardboard, but you can put them on a hex base and they're *pretty.*

Pathfinder Pawns: http://paizo.com/store/pathfinder/ac...niatures/pawns

Somewhat pretty, very cheap on a per-unit basis.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #9
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wyzard View Post
Flat Plastic Miniatures: http://arcknight.squarespace.com/shop/

Pricey compared to cardboard, but you can put them on a hex base and they're *pretty.*
Man, those are good-looking. But as you say pricey.

<sigh> Just when I broke my Pathfinder pawn addiction, you show me these.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #10
CardDiceian

I fell in love with the 1/72 scale Fantasy collection from Caesar Miniatures about 10 years or so back. Really lovely dwarves / orcs / goblins / elves and skeletons - For humans I bought packs from Zvezda / Italeri and others who do good period figures - But very few offered fantasy races.

All are based on British pennies - (about the same size as 1c coin) - So fit very well on the 1' hexes I was used to.
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martian metals, miniatures