Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #71
KarlKost

Default Re: Naruto like campaign, beginner needs help

You have asked about having auras of power, have you not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Ups 4 Enhancements pags 4-5
AURAS OF POWER
This is a new special enhancement for Affliction; it must be combined with one or more of Advantage, Attribute Penalty, Disadvantage, Incapacitation, Irritant, or Negated Advantage. Aura of Power is a meta-enhancement that turns the Affliction into a two-yard area effect, centered on the adventurer, that affects any targets he wishes.

[I]Aura of Power (+175%): Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Aura, +80%; Malediction 1, +100%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Reduced Duration, 1/60, Only after the target leaves the area, -30%; Requires Will Roll*, -5%; Selective Area, +20%; Takes Extra Time, -10%.
* A limitation from Powers. Your switchable ability requires a Will roll to activate, and a further Will roll every minute to maintain. If this roll fails, you can try again, but each repeated attempt costs 1 FP unless you wait five minutes. The user must take a Concentrate maneuver and make a Will roll to bring up the aura. If he fails, he may try again on later turns, but each successive attempt costs 1 FP. If successful, then the aura is active for the next minute.

For a beneficial Affliction, the user may roll Will (as a free action) when someone he wants to bless enters his area of effect. Success means that person is blessed; note the margin of success. On a failure, he may continue to roll once per second (again, as a free action) with no penalty or cost, until successful in blessing that subject. Those blessed stay that way until they leave the area or the aura ends, in which case the effects of the aura linger for seconds equal to the user’s original margin of success for that person.

For a hostile Affliction, the user may attempt to curse anyone entering the area of effect. This works the same as blessings, but is treated as a Quick Contest of the user’s Will versus the target’s HT. The victim suffers the effects for seconds equal to the user’s margin of victory. The user must make a new Will roll each minute to keep his aura up. If he fails, the aura drops; on any subsequent turn, he may pay 1 FP, take a Concentrate maneuver, and make a Will roll to bring it back up. He may also turn it off voluntarily at the beginning of his turn (as a free action); if so, there is no FP cost to switch it back on.

The adventurer must decide how the aura acts against targets of which he is not aware. He can choose (when buying the ability) whether to affect all unknown targets. Either option is balanced; the decision depends on whether the user would rather risk targeting someone who shouldn’t have been or risk not noticing a potential (but unseen) target until it’s too late.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #72
InLaNoche

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Skills are NOT integral to abilities.

For example: DR. DR is automatic always on. Make it "requires attribute roll - HT", and give it a skill - Skill Skin of Stone (HT/H). You can increase your DR as much as you like. Your skill Skin of Stone is bought separetly. For example, lets say you have HT 15. You buy 10 levels of the ability "Skin of Stone", giving you DR 10. If you dont put ANY points on the SKILL (not the ability) Skin of Stone, your activation roll will be at default - for a hard skill, that's 9. If you put at least 1 single point on the skill, you'll roll at 13.

Now, if instead you only buy DR 1, thats how much you'll have. Only DR 1. If you buy your skill "Skin of Stone" to be as high as HT+5 (for 24 pts), you'll roll with skill level 20 to activate your DR 1. Got it now?
So you are saying that as the GM of the game, I cannot allow someone to upgrade both the skill and the power? For instance, they could buy HT +4, and still upgrade the power to DR 2. My idea is to make the base setup (school templates) simple for the girls playing it to no overwhelm them. They will pick the skills they want, and advance them how they want, but the skills they can have will be set. I'll allow for some characterizing skills like artist, or stuff like that, but I'm going to scale it down quite a bit. The point is I want it to be simplified for the players (at great expense for me....)
InLaNoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:09 PM   #73
MrTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLaNoche View Post
So you are saying that as the GM of the game, I cannot allow someone to upgrade both the skill and the power?
Quite the opposite. Except for very specific cases like Karate or Brawling, the skill to use an ability is completely separate from the amount of ability you can use, and it's very difficult to get GURPS to work any other way. If an ability requires a skill to use, making the ability increase at the same time as the skill is pretty much only possible by arbitrarily saying things like "every time you raise your Heat Wave skill, you must buy another level of the Heat Wave ability."

Edit: So, for instance, you could have someone with Heat Wave at HT+2 and one level of the Heat Wave ability, a second with Heat Wave at HT-2 and ten levels of the Heat Wave ability, and a third with Heat Wave at HT and twenty levels of the Heat Wave ability. The first is pretty good at activating/using the ability but not very powerful, the second is really bad at activating/using the ability but powerful, and the third is insanely powerful and pretty good at activating and using it. Skill usually costs more than the ability, so the first character has probably spent a lot fewer points on Heat Wave than the other two.

Last edited by MrTim; 04-14-2017 at 10:13 PM.
MrTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:49 AM   #74
KarlKost

Quote:
So you are saying that as the GM of the game, I cannot allow someone to upgrade both the skill and the power? For instance, they could buy HT +4, and still upgrade the power to DR 2. My idea is to make the base setup (school templates) simple for the girls playing it to no overwhelm them. They will pick the skills they want, and advance them how they want, but the skills they can have will be set. I'll allow for some characterizing skills like artist, or stuff like that, but I'm going to scale it down quite a bit. The point is I want it to be simplified for the players (at great expense for me....)
Of course you do! GURPS is just a guide, you take what you need! Just do it in the better way that it is to you. If that's how you wanna, go for it, by no means feel that you need to keep "by the scriptures". Just attach to cost to raise the skill - 1, 2, 4, 8, +4 - to the costs of the "levels" of any power... Or you can even forget about the costs of the skills alltogether if you prefer! Just give Attribute-2 for (in the example of DR) DR 1, Atribute -1 for DR 2 and so forth, no problem about it. If you do that however, maybe you'll like to set a limit (perhaps atribute +3) as a way to avoid it being too much
Old 04-15-2017, 05:58 AM   #75
InLaNoche

I see what you both are saying. I guess in the end what I want is a levelling system that is easier to grasp, as well as not too costly that it's difficult to upgrade.

So I will split out the effect and the skill. Players can chose to train ether proficiency or power, or both as they progress. I guess the arms of stone worked out a bit too smoothly...

Hopefully my next post will be the earth school template. I think I'm ready to draft that.

Wait, one last question (for now). An innate attack cost 6 pts. Therefore to add +1 dmg, it would cost (0.3*6) 2 pts. At this point the skill is now valued at 8 pts. If I were to later add another +1 dmg, or prior to this, buy off a limitation, does this alter the cost for future upgrades? Or do you stick with the base cost that the ability was bought at?

Last edited by InLaNoche; 04-15-2017 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Follow up question
Old 04-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #76
KarlKost

Quote:
I see what you both are saying. I guess in the end what I want is a levelling system that is easier to grasp, as well as not too costly that it's difficult to upgrade.

So I will split out the effect and the skill. Players can chose to train ether proficiency or power, or both as they progress. I guess the arms of stone worked out a bit too smoothly...

Hopefully my next post will be the earth school template. I think I'm ready to draft that.

Wait, one last question (for now). An innate attack cost 6 pts. Therefore to add +1 dmg, it would cost (0.3*6) 2 pts. At this point the skill is now valued at 8 pts. If I were to later add another +1 dmg, or prior to this, buy off a limitation, does this alter the cost for future upgrades? Or do you stick with the base cost that the ability was bought at?
Always stick with the base cost.

For Example: Warp (100). Lets say that I put for example "Costs FP 10 (-50%)". That will change my warp to 50 points. If I want to put some Enhancement, it is based on the 100 cost.

So, adding levels of Reliable +5%, for example, will cost 5 pts each. So, warp, 10 FP, with reliable 1, 55 pts. To improve to reliable 2, extra 5 pts, 60 in total. And, if you wanna reduce the amount of FP required, that's also 5 pts for each FP reduced from the limitation. So, improving from FP 10 to 9 will make the total be 55, 9 to 8 is another 5 pts, making the total 60 and so on.

Always use the base cost of the advantage for any Enhancement or limitation that you use
Old 04-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #77
KarlKost

Now, about difficulty of upgranding, if you think that it is too slow, just award extra points to your players... Instead of giving 5 each session, just give 10 or even more. If it is fun to have them increasing their powers very fast, just go for it! Remember, the system exist for you, not you for the system
Old 04-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #78
InLaNoche

Thanks for clearing that up, I had some math wrong. As to levelling, the time between the first and second chapter will be enough for a bit of advancement. At that point I will scale it as we go to let them feel they are achieving something without getting too over powered.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #79
mikeejimbo

Just to echo what others are saying: given that you are the GM, it is perfectly reasonable for you to build what you might call 'skill templates' that include a level of the skill and a level of the ability, if you want to make leveling easy for the players. That way they can just say "I want to upgrade Substitution Jitsu!" and get both.

However, it's very in-genre to have characters who are powerful, but untrained. So either way you want to do it works. I'm sure once you explain that it's possible to be powerful but not control it as easily, your players will come up with far more examples from fiction than I can give right now.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #80
InLaNoche

was hoping to have the Earth template done by now, but a sinus infection has rendered me useless for the past couple of days...

With catching up on work and stuff, I hope to have something by the weekend

Tags
ghostly movement