Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Naruto like campaign, beginner needs help

Note that there is also a thing called a Power Block, found in GURPS Powers. It requires a roll vs. 3 + (Will + Power Talent)/2. If you make the roll, you can do one of two things:

* If you have an ability based on DR, it doubles the DR for the attack you're blocking.

* If you have an ability based on Control or Obscure, each level of the ability counts as DR 1 against any attack of a suitable kind.

That latter sounds like it might fit the special effects you're looking at, though the cost might prove excessive. One level of Control Earth (Chi, -10%; Elemental, -10%) would cost the character 16 points and give DR 1.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #12
mikeejimbo

Ooh I didn't realize that use of Power Block. I would go with that. Control might make a good "base" power.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #13
InLaNoche

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Note that there is also a thing called a Power Block, found in GURPS Powers. It requires a roll vs. 3 + (Will + Power Talent)/2. If you make the roll, you can do one of two things:

* If you have an ability based on DR, it doubles the DR for the attack you're blocking.

* If you have an ability based on Control or Obscure, each level of the ability counts as DR 1 against any attack of a suitable kind.

That latter sounds like it might fit the special effects you're looking at, though the cost might prove excessive. One level of Control Earth (Chi, -10%; Elemental, -10%) would cost the character 16 points and give DR 1.
Hmmm. that sounds like it's getting a bit to complicated. Was just reading over Damage Resistance, and it seems like I should just have a straight DR value to the block, closer to what mikeejimbo suggested. Thank you though for the insight on other ways. This might work better for a stone wall shield for higher levels.

I was looking at the divisors (specifically the fractions) but that seems to be specified by the attack. I also looked at the Flexible Armor rules, and like the idea of (from Star Fleet Battles) splash damage that penetrates, and may re-work that idea a bit. Though I have to play out a bit of combat with powers in play, not sure how fast/slow I want combat to end. This is anime style-ish, so I am shifting away from realism.
InLaNoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #14
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I wanna know the mechanics of Sakura's using kunai impalement on right arm, bite on left arm to grapple during the chuunin exam. I figure technical grappling required since it covers partial control.
Grappling with a bite is discussed a little in Martial Arts. Much of the rest might be covered by a failed Fright Check.

Being bitten by a girl with pink hair who shows no regard for her own safety and who just wants to do damage to you somehow, some way is probably enough to make even a ninja roll for a Fright Check.

The result just ends up as a customized "flail ineffectually" rather than a simple Mental Stun.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #15
InLaNoche

still working out powers, and looking at the push skill. Is it possible to to add afflictions to a skill, or should I create an air based innate attack?

Also looking at the way things are layer out, would probably go innate attack melee for the water whip, possible adding an FP drain to it, as an alternate attack mod (at 1/5 cost added). If I understand it right, this should be like the whip is created for the attack turn, and disappears? Or does it stay around? If the former, how would it be used to parry as the rules state it can?
Old 04-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #16
MrTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLaNoche View Post
still working out powers, and looking at the push skill. Is it possible to to add afflictions to a skill, or should I create an air based innate attack?
You wouldn't add it to the skill, but if you want it to use your power skill instead of an Innate Attack skill that seems like a reasonable 0% modifier.

Quote:
Also looking at the way things are layer out, would probably go innate attack melee for the water whip, possible adding an FP drain to it, as an alternate attack mod (at 1/5 cost added). If I understand it right, this should be like the whip is created for the attack turn, and disappears? Or does it stay around? If the former, how would it be used to parry as the rules state it can?
That's . . . actually kind of an edge case. Personally I would allow it to last for a full second for one point of Fatigue per -5% modifier, but I can see the argument for insisting that it's instantaneous.
MrTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #17
KarlKost

Quote:
I like this. Thanks! I think I would go the Active Defense route. I would prefer that the player has to actively initiate the block. The only issue is how Block functions. How would the damage side of things work? I'm guessing (and from what I read so far) there is no mod that divides damage?

Also, I was looking through the powers book, and don't see anything that will get me the water lash. Unless maybe create? how would damage be managed? Would I then treat it like a whip melee weapon?

I will definitely keep logs, most likely taken from audio recordings of the sessions, and will gladly share them once things are underway. I do see this being about a month down the road at the most, but I'll see how quickly I can get through this. My problem right now is having the time to read the BS front to back, which I think I should. I have been just browsing the sections I was concentrating on at the moment...
No, no need for Create. The water is just "special effects"; you could simply do it with an innate attack and the meele limitation (probably for reach 4). The water is just the aesthetics that you put into it (but it can still have relevant meaning - for example, it could counter and be countered by fire effects)
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #18
KarlKost

Quote:

You can make an affliction with the meele C limitation, maybe even with skin contact, that way you could use it toghether with a skill (like a punch, pressure points, etc).

For the whip, it could remain for more than a turn and be used for parrying, just gimme a sec to check

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Powers pag 166-167
Power Parry
An Innate Attack can sometimes
knock aside or “shoot down” another
Innate Attack, much as one melee
weapon can parry another. This is a
Power Parry. It’s normally only possi-
ble in two situations:
1. If the defending and attacking
powers share a focus, the defender
can exploit his control over the focus
to weaken the attack. This is regard-
less of source. For instance, two oppo-
nents with Heat/Fire power can use
their attack abilities to defend against
one another . . . even if one is a priest
with a Divine power and the other is a
wizard with a Magical power.
POWERS IN ACTION
2. If the defending and attacking
powers are opposed (see Opposed
Powers, p. 21), the defender can par-
tially cancel out the attack by brute
force. Again, source doesn’t matter.
For example, a super with the Cold/Ice
power and another with the Heat/Fire
power could attack and parry with
their icy and fiery bolts.
In games that obey traditional
comic-book physics, the GM should
ignore all this and let any attack parry
any other!
The only other requirements are
that the parrying ability be currently
accessible and have no limitation that
prevents immediate activation, such
as Takes Extra Time. Neither its other
modifiers nor its damage type are
important. For instance, an expanding
ring of frost bought as a Fatigue
Attack with Emanation and Freezing
can parry a fireball bought as a
straight-up Burning Attack. In all
cases, the GM’s word is final.
Calculate Power Parry as follows:
Power Parry = 3 + (Innate Attack
skill + Talent)/2
Drop all fractions. For abilities that
don’t use Innate Attack skill (e.g.,
Emanations), use the formula under
Power Block (below) instead. Standard
Parry modifiers apply, with a few
exceptions: there’s no penalty to parry
a ranged attack; shield DB only adds if
the attacking ability has the Blockable
or Melee Attack limitation; and modi-
fiers for bad footing, posture, and rel-
ative height only apply if the parrying
ability has Melee Attack.
On a success, each fighter rolls his
damage. The defender subtracts his
damage from that of the attacker.
(Exception: If the parrying ability has
Wall, subtract its DR.) If the defender
rolls less damage than his attacker, the
residual damage affects him normally
– but if he took All-Out Defense
(Double Defense), he can try to dodge
this. If his damage equals or exceeds
that of his attacker, he’s unharmed; he
doesn’t damage his foe.

Last edited by KarlKost; 04-09-2017 at 08:42 PM.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #19
InLaNoche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Zaku Abumi definitely got feinted which allowed Sakura to score her initial kunai hit (both hands. Guess for extra dmg. Normally one handed weapon) on his right arm and then bite his left hand.

I think this was more simply to keep him grappled so he couldn't use his arms (primary weapon) to murder Naruto/Sasuke though. To hold him in desperate hope one might wake up, Rock Lee might recover from Dosu's attack, or other help might come.

Zaku seemed more surprised than scared though. He mostly seemed annoyed that someone weaker was able to immobilize him.

Aside from.the ST penalty introduced in MA and affirmed in TG, wondering if reduced damage from the skull punches might alsonbe explained by Defensive Attack.

Could the bonus to a defence roll of choice that DA gives be a grapple escape? Even though you do it in place of an attack since MA? If so maybe he was doing rapid strike: punch+escape? This way he could get some shock penalties from the punch t try and make it easier to escape the bite.
Please don't take offense, but though this tread has 'Naruto' in the title, it is not truly a Naruto thread, unless of course you would like to show some conversion of character powers to Gurps (any examples would help)

That aside, I now better understand parrying with the whip, as the player would activate it again to parry (if that was the intention), and it would again last for that 1 sec. turn.

So on the 2 powers in question, I came up with something like this:

Gust(Kaze No Kisu) Innate attack at 1d/level crushing base 5pts/level
- No Wounding at -50%
- Costs CHI/FP -5%/CHI/FP cost
- Stunning +10% (from afflictions, can I add this here?)

Water Whip(Mizu no shita) Innate attack at 1d/level crushing base 5pts/level
- Melee Attach(reach 1-4 whip) -15%
- Cost CHI/FP -5%/CHI/FP cost
- Alternate damage type : fatigue at 1/5 cost of 10pts/level = +2pts/level

So for each level of Kaze No Kisu, costing 1 CHI/FP to use would cost (5 -45%) 3 CP and for Mizu No Shita costing 1CHI/FP to use would cost (5+2 -20%) 5 CP?

Just checking to see if I am doing the math right. If I'm doing this right, I will try and go through the rest that I outline earlier (though I am not sure about the Palm Waves - each consecutive hit increases damage) and post what I have worked out. Once this is done I can finalize the 4 school templates and try and balance them out.

Last edited by InLaNoche; 04-10-2017 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Did the math wrong...
Old 04-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #20
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
Just for an example, I might build Stone Block like this:

Damage Resistance 2 (Reflexive +40%, Arms Only -20%, Costs 2 Chi -10%, Link (Enhanced Block) +10%) [8]
Enhanced Block 2 (Link (Damage Resistance) +10%) [11]
I've got to disagree on this build. I don't think it really does what InLaNoche has described. First of all, Reflexive is only necessary on advantages that already require a turn to activate, which DR doesn't. Second, Arms Only means it will only help against attacks against the arms, where this is suppose to protect the whole body, if I'm not mistaken. Finally, Link is only necessary when you're dealing with an advantage that requires activation by default, which neither DR nor Enhanced Block do.

Here's how I'd build this instead.

Stone Arms
Levels 1-4, 6-9, etc. {X}multiplied by 2.5 */level, level 5, 10, etc. {X} multiplied by 2.5*+5 points

By focusing some earth chi into your arms, you briefly turn them to stone, allowing you to block many attacks that would be dangerous or deadly for mere flesh to stop.
The first time you activate Stone Arms in a fight, you must spend 2 Chi, after which it lasts for a minute, and you must spend 1 additional Chi to maintain it. To use Stone Arms to block an attack, you must make a roll of ((DX/2)+3), with an additional +1 if you have Combat Reflexes, but at -4 if you are stunned, and an additional -4 for every block on the same turn after the first. If you succeed, you gain {X}* DR against the attack.
For every 5 levels you have in Stone Arms, add +1 to your roll to activate the power.

Statistics: DR {X}* (Active Defense, -40%; Costs Chi, -10%) [({X}X2.5)/level]*. At level 5, 10, 15, etc., add one level of Enhanced Block (Stone Arms) [5/level].

* I've left the actual level of DR per level as a variable, because how much is appropriate will depend on your campaign assumptions. If the typical character is throwing around more-or-less mundane weapons, and one level of Stone Arms is enough to mitigate but not completely stop damage from such an attack, 1 or 2 DR per level is fine. If an average opponent is throwing around fireballs that do 3d, you'll need substantially more. I'd recommend estimating the average damage for an attack (3.5 per die of damage rolled, basically), and setting the DR level to that. That way, one level of Stone Arms will stop an average attack, with an above-average roll on a typical attack getting through, and higher levels of Stone Arms being required to stop more potent hits.

Two other game concepts that I strongly suggest you use to make your game feel more Naruto-esque are power modifiers, and skill-based abilities.

A power modifier is a modifier that applies to all abilities within a power - a set of advantages that all share certain common behaviors. It's a way of tying a bunch of advantages together and making them feel like a unified set of abilities, and usually giving characters a bit of a discount on all of them because they all share certain weaknesses. (Power modifiers are briefly explained on pp. B254-255, but they're greatly expanded on in GURPS Powers. That book is really worthwhile for this sort of campaign, I highly recommend it.)

For a Naruto-inspired campaign, I'd suggest setting the power modifier at -15%. Using the guidelines in Powers, this is calculated at -5% because "anti-powers" exist (things like "chi-blocking" attacks), -5% because countermeasures to the powers that require special skills to produce, but anyone can use, exist (stuff like drugs or herbs that block chi use), and -5% because all the powers cost at least 1 FP.

The other suggestion, skill-based abilities, means that each ability has a skill to roll against when using it. This helps makes each ability feel more like an actual thing the character is learning, rather than just a random trait they've suddenly developed. When building abilities, it means that if the advantage you're using doesn't require some kind of activation roll, you should add one, usually with a limitation like Requires (Attribute) Roll (this limitation appears in Powers and Power-Ups 8: Limitations). Making it require a skill roll (usually a Hard skill) instead of a straight-up attribute roll is basically a 0% modifier - it starts out as harder to use than the attribute, but is cheaper to buy up to high levels, so it's basically a wash.

So, putting these suggestions together, here's how this would change the Stone Arms build I suggested above:

Stone Arms
Levels 1-4, 6-9, etc. {X} multiplied by 2*/level, level 5, 10, etc. {X} multiplied by 2*+5 points

Skill: Stone Arms (DX/H)

By focusing some earth chi into your arms, you briefly turn them to stone, allowing you to block many attacks that would be dangerous or deadly for mere flesh to stop.
The first time you activate Stone Arms in a fight, you must spend 2 Chi, after which it lasts for a minute, and you must spend 1 additional Chi to maintain it. To use Stone Arms to block an attack, you must make a roll of ((Stone Arms skill/3)+3), with an additional +1 if you have Combat Reflexes, but at -4 if you are stunned, and an additional -4 for every block on the same turn after the first. If you succeed, you gain {X}* DR against the attack.
For every 5 levels you have in Stone Arms, add +1 to your roll to activate the power.

Statistics: DR {X}* (Active Defense, -40%; Costs Chi, -5%, Earth Chi, -15%) [({X} multiplied by 2)/level]*. At level 5, 10, 15, etc., add one level of Enhanced Block (Stone Arms) [5/level].

"Earth Chi" is what I named the power modifier here (for Fire abilities, it would be "Fire Chi", for Water "Water Chi", and so on). I reduced the Costs Chi limitation to -5% because the Earth Chi limitation already includes one level of it by default, so this still costs 2 Chi to activate.

The roll to activate the power is now based on the skill, rather than straight DX.

Normally, in builds like this where there are a couple of advantages tied together, I'd put the power modifier on both of them. However, in this case I didn't do that on Enhanced Block because, first of all, it would mean using it would cost an additional FP/Chi point, and second, because this Enhanced Block only adds to Stone Arms, I didn't think it was a meaningful limitation to say that the other parts of the Earth Chi limitation (being able to be cancelled by other abilities or countermeasures) applied to it - anything that cancelled Enhanced Block would already have made it useless by cancelling the Damage Resistance anyway.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement