Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
Henchmyn

Default Telescopic Weapon Perk

I have a character with the Imbue advantage and Telescopic Weapon skill. The skill description states that the reach change is temporary, but I wanted to propose a perk that allowed my character to maintain the weapon's altered size permanently while it is in contact with her.

She uses a naginata as her primary weapon, so this would allow her to shrink it to dagger size and carry it in a pocket when not in use. Does a perk sound like an appropriate cost for the convenience and concealment ability? I would still use its full weight for encumbrance.
Henchmyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
talonthehand

Default Re: Telescopic Weapon Perk

Kneejerk reaction says this is fine. It's not being used as a combat advantage or anything. Maybe have a prerequisite of Telescopic Weapon being level 15?
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
Celjabba

If you restrict it to a single specific weapon, my immediate reaction would be to say ok.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
If you restrict it to a single specific weapon, my immediate reaction would be to say ok.
I'd allow this (possibly with Weapon Bond for the weapon being a prerequisite), or I'd allow another version that worked with any weapon of a given type, but while it's active, it counts as an active ability that inflicts long-term fatigue - so you can't recover FP while using it, and it costs 1 FP per hour.
Kelly Pedersen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
malloyd

Feels Ok to me too.

Though I suppose if you could argue for with Payload (Cosmic: Extradimensional +50%, Specific: one item -80%). For ST 10, you'd need Payload 3, for 2.1 points, rounds up to 3, to carry a specific 6 lb. item like a Naginata that way.

I suppose Imbue also comes with a Power Modifier (assuming there are countermeasures), and potentially Requires Skill Roll too. Anyway somewhere between 1 and 3 points, seems reasonable enough to just set it as a perk.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
Henchmyn

Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of making Weapon Bond a prerequisite. That also fits the concept of a martial artist trained in an esoteric fighting style.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #7
Henchmyn

Interesting use of Payload, but this would not reduce encumbrance. She's still got to lug around a 6-lb. knife! I guess I mostly like the visual of pulling it out and having it grow to a six-foot polearm over two seconds.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Payload negates its encumbering effects. When in "hammer-space" or in this case "naginata-space", the weight doesn't count like that.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchmyn View Post
Interesting use of Payload, but this would not reduce encumbrance. She's still got to lug around a 6-lb. knife! I guess I mostly like the visual of pulling it out and having it grow to a six-foot polearm over two seconds.
I've used -50% for External on Payload, which means you just negate the weight but don't actually store it anywhere inside the body (this is useful for, say, flying creatures being used as mounts). -50% to do the opposite - store it away (by default inside of you, but with Cosmic: Extradimensional it would be stored in your pocket dimension) without negating the weight, would be appropriate. Payload (Cosmic: Extradimensional +50%, Full Weight -50%, Specific Item Only -80%) would work for a weapon weighing up to BL/2 per [1], so a Perk should be perfectly fine here.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #10
Henchmyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Payload negates its encumbering effects. When in "hammer-space" or in this case "naginata-space", the weight doesn't count like that.
Oh, I just mean I don't want that effect. I want the encumbrance to count.