Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #21
mikeejimbo

Default Re: Naruto like campaign, beginner needs help

Ah I was imagining that the Enhanced Block was only applied when the power was active, thus adding the Link to make it 'off' until the user activated the power. I also had Arms Only because I imagined that the user literally had to block with their arms, and as such they would take damage from the attack, but would be reduced by the arm DR.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #22
InLaNoche

Thanks for that Kelly (fellow Canadian!), that it really detailed, and I will have to go over that a few times before I can say I got a handle on what you are saying. I have BS, Martial Arts and Powers, but I do not have the Power-ups 8: limitations. I'm thinking I will need that as a lot of the work I am doing is based off limitations on the powers...

To get a correction on what I really want, both of you are almost hitting the mark. To give an example, InLaNoche is fighting Lee. the fight is going back and forth. Lee decides to go for a powered up fireball attack. he has gained some distance and is able to perform a concentration/gesture/genjitsu/whatever to boost the power of his fireball attack. InLanoche sees this coming and is in no condition to dodge or close the gap. Instead he decides to use Sutōndifensu (Stone Defense), possible also using a concentration turn to beef it up. On Lee's turn, he uses his fireball and it is on target. InLaNoche crosses his arms in front of him focusing his chi. At that instant, his forarms become like stone and absorb X of the damage. He screams out at the effort, and is pushed back several feet, his feet cutting a line through the earth, the wrappings of his forearms fall to the ground torn to shreds, the earth charred around him, but he still stands...

So it would be a reflex action, and should not have a duration for more than the action/turn (so I would still take the multiple attempts a -4 to each succession). I also agree that is should be a skill test of some type, but that would be to make sure he focused and got his arms up in time. Also, this would not protect from behind, to it is limited to just his arms. A more powerful (higher rank) version will encompass the whole body, and may persist for a minute or 2, but that will be later.

As for damage, I don't want powers to be too over the top, and I want to try and keep HP at about normal. Also having Roll with Blow as a must for all PCs and major NPCs. I am dropping death from the game (remember, kids at the age of 9), and instead going for KOs, and possible comas, crippling and such for things that are extreme, but for the most part, I want it to be like a cartoon to them. Flashy, people being thrown around, and some humor. So with the PCs having maybe a slight boost the the 10 HP (again, newish to this system so room for change is still here) most attacks at 2d will have the chance to hit hard.

Again, may scale this, once I have some characters done up and play test it a bit.

Last edited by InLaNoche; 04-10-2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: incomplete response
InLaNoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #23
mikeejimbo

Thank you for that description! I think Kelly's build is closer to what you want for that, actually.

See, I had envisioned Reflexive so that you wouldn't need to roll to Activate it, just roll Block (likely Karate-based) to interpose your arms.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #24
InLaNoche

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
Ah I was imagining that the Enhanced Block was only applied when the power was active, thus adding the Link to make it 'off' until the user activated the power. I also had Arms Only because I imagined that the user literally had to block with their arms, and as such they would take damage from the attack, but would be reduced by the arm DR.
Don't get me wrong with my other post. I did like this on a first draft. But I like the idea of 'leveling up' the power and getting bonuses at higher ranks (adding +1 to block at levels 5,10,15,etc.) closer to what I want, just did not know how to implement it...

I think I need more books, and time...
Old 04-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #25
InLaNoche

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
Thank you for that description! I think Kelly's build is closer to what you want for that, actually.

See, I had envisioned Reflexive so that you wouldn't need to roll to Activate it, just roll Block (likely Karate-based) to interpose your arms.
Still a work in progress, so I'm not totally sure what the final will be, but you're info got the ball rolling for me on other ideas as well. But if it is based on it's own skill roll, it would show training in that area (different players of the same school may focus more in one area than others), which can give a good diversity to the various students (and future players).
Old 04-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #26
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLaNoche View Post
Thanks for that Kelly (fellow Canadian!),
Excellent, our takeover of the forum proceeds! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLaNoche
that it really detailed, and I will have to go over that a few times before I can say I got a handle on what you are saying.
Feel free to ask questions, of course! Hopefully, we can clear up any confusion.

Quote:
I have BS, Martial Arts and Powers, but I do not have the Power-ups 8: limitations. I'm thinking I will need that as a lot of the work I am doing is based off limitations on the powers...
Well, Powers already covers a lot of those. I would say that Powers is probably the more important one to get. That said, Power-Ups are pretty cheap purchases, so it's probably worth getting it. I'd also recommend Power-Ups 5: Enhancements, which also has a bunch of useful stuff for a project like this.

Quote:
he has gained some distance and is able to perform a concentration/gesture/genjitsu/whatever to boost the power of his fireball attack. [...] Instead he decides to use Sutōndifensu (Stone Defense), possible also using a concentration turn to beef it up.
Allowing these sorts of boosts to abilities is another benefit of using a power modifier - Powers goes into a variety of "switches" a power can have, traits that all the abilities in them share that don't necessarily modify the cost, but do affect play. Allowing extra turns of concentration to boost Chi abilities sounds exactly like such an option.

Quote:
On Lee's turn, he uses his fireball and it is on target. InLaNoche crosses his arms in front of him focusing his chi. At that instant, his forarms become like stone and absorb X of the damage.

So it would be a reflex action, and should not have a duration for more than the action/turn (so I would still take the multiple attempts a -4 to each succession). I also agree that is should be a skill test of some type, but that would be to make sure he focused and got his arms up in time. Also, this would not protect from behind, to it is limited to just his arms.
I think my build does this. The Requires Active Defense limitation means that it requires a roll, just like a block defense, representing the necessity of moving his arms into the way. Not being able to defend against an attack from the rear is already a feature of requiring an active defense, so that's not an additional limitation. It sounds to me like he could use this defense to attempt to defend against any attack coming from his front, not just ones specifically aimed by the attacker at his arms, so Arms Only isn't really a appropriate limitation.

Quote:
A more powerful (higher rank) version will encompass the whole body, and may persist for a minute or 2, but that will be later.
To build that, I'd remove the Active Defense limitation, but leave on the Costs Chi. Putting any sort of cost like costs FP, cost HP, etc. onto a normally always-on ability like Damage Resistance turns it into one that requires a turn to activate. To make it still something you can turn on in response to an attack, that's when you'd add Reflexive.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #27
InLaNoche

Awesome Kelly (and the others as well). I was glancing at that section on powers abilities and talents for the power modifiers. It talks about psionics but I am guessing from what you played out about the earth chi power thing, it can go for any power grouping. I will try and read through that section tonight, and try to finish off drafts of the first 4 skills for the earth school. I will post that and appreciate any feedback. Also, if you have ideas for any of the schools powers (offence, defence, other) I would welcome any ideas. Thanks again all. I am pretty excited about this. When done, I'll post my school templates, story line, and the customized automated character sheets for whom ever would like it
Old 04-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #28
KarlKost

Quote:
Awesome Kelly (and the others as well). I was glancing at that section on powers abilities and talents for the power modifiers. It talks about psionics but I am guessing from what you played out about the earth chi power thing, it can go for any power grouping. I will try and read through that section tonight, and try to finish off drafts of the first 4 skills for the earth school. I will post that and appreciate any feedback. Also, if you have ideas for any of the schools powers (offence, defence, other) I would welcome any ideas. Thanks again all. I am pretty excited about this. When done, I'll post my school templates, story line, and the customized automated character sheets for whom ever would like it
Yes, powers modifiers can be used to ANY source, as long as it is part of a power. Examples:

Magic -10%
Psionic -10%
Chi -10%
Divine -10%
Super -10%
Cosmic +50% (only opposable by other cosmic)

So, just place a -10% limitation for ANY abilities that you create. But, instead of calling all of it as just a boring "Chi" source, call them as that:

Earth -10%
Air -10%
Water -10%
Fire -10%

That also has the effect that, Earth powers can only be disabled by other Earth (or Air, if you'd prefer to go with the elemental opposition), and so foward for all others (Air-Air or Air-Earth, Water-Water or Water-Fire and so on), or mundane ways to disable the powers (drugs, maybe even supersticious "charms" akin to throwing salt over the shoulders - maybe some Buddha icons could cancel some abilities, prayers, incense, etc, but also pressure points too)
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #29
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Yes, powers modifiers can be used to ANY source, as long as it is part of a power. Examples:

Magic -10%
Psionic -10%
Chi -10%
Divine -10%
Super -10%
Cosmic +50% (only opposable by other cosmic)

So, just place a -10% limitation for ANY abilities that you create.
It doesn't have to be -10% or +50%, either, note. A power modifier can really be any value justified by the modifiers common to all advantages within the power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost
That also has the effect that, Earth powers can only be disabled by other Earth (or Air, if you'd prefer to go with the elemental opposition),
This is definitely one way of doing it, yeah. Note it's not required, though. You get -5% for anti-powers being available, no matter how common those are. Every elemental group could have its own anti-power that cancels the others. The Chinese Elemental Powers book has a neat setup where each of the five elements can neutralize two of the others, one by directly overcoming it, and the second by reversing the cycle of creation, where the element created by another can in some measure destroy its creator.

A cycle like that might be a good thing to work out - cancelling others' chi powers is also very in-genre, I'd say, and having a "destructive cycle" gives an interesting tactical dimension to fights, rather than having them just be logical pairs of opposites who end up neutralizing each other.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 PM   #30
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Also, if you have ideas for any of the schools powers (offence, defence, other) I would welcome any ideas.
Hmm. I don't know how much you want to get into mental abilities for the various elements, but in case you do, here's some suggestions.

Water: With knowledge, understanding, and compassion all listed as associations, Empathy definitely sounds like a good fit here. Full-blown Mind Reading or Mind Probe might also work. For combat abilities, consider Enhanced Defenses (that is, a package of Enhanced Block, Dodge, and Parry), limited with "only against someone you have made a successful Empathy roll against".

Air: For the "playfulness" association you have, you could use Rapier Wit - literally weaponized jokes! For an even more potent power, you could use Confusion (a version of Terror with slightly tweaked effects, from Powers) for even more extreme effects of super-wit.

Fire: The "passion" and "strength" associations here make me think of Charisma. Put Cosmic, "applies universally", +50% on it to make it apply to literally everything that can see or hear the person. And Awe, another Terror variant from Powers, is worth looking at here.

Earth: The "order" association makes me think of the Visualization advantage. It encapsulates the "perfect planner" sort of character well. Put several levels of Reduced Time on it so that it only takes a second or two, rather than a minute, to use, and it becomes useful in combat.

Tags
ghostly movement