Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-14-2005, 06:33 AM   #1
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Submit Errata, for e23 In Nomine products, here

I want to create a thread for errata for the e23 In Nomine products. (NOT for the dead trees versions. Those should have their own submission process on the webpage.) That way, instead of dribbling and drabbing it in, I can bundle up a goodly selection every now and then.

Posts to this thread will, ideally, get read by me, the errata incorporated into 1-3 posts at the top, and then deleted, so it doesn't get unwieldy to grovel through. Then, ideally, when a new version goes up, I'll check through and delete fixed errata.

Possible-errata notes are for things that don't have a fast fix, but I want to remember them, and consider how to tweak/add (and where) without spawning a full re-layout and Scott putting a price on my head.

NOTE! Errata for the print versions of the core rules still go to the print errata pages

Core Rules (Third Printing) errata:
Errata which is now at this page will not be on the forum post. I will be keeping page numbers for minor typos here, for my own evil purposes.

p. 1: No version number showing -- this is now copy 1.1? (Because I could have sworn that the "restricted" notations weren't there before!)
p. 14: ((Must still do this part:)) I'll figure out a rephrasing when the kid isn't asking me if someday we can go to Disneyworld.
p. 24: "a Malakim" should be "a Malakite" (would you say a Mercurians hit squad?)
p. 28: "a point of Essence" -- change to "1 Essence"
p. 29: "a point of Essence" -- change to "1 Essence"
p. 43: "a point of Essence" -- change to "1 Essence"
p. 46, box: "Every point of Essence" should be "Every Essence" or "Every 1 Essence"
p. 46, box: "Cherubs" should be "Cherubim" -- or possibly Seraphim, or just plain angels.
p. 46, box: "3 points of Essence" should be "3 Essence"
p. 49: "a point of Essence" -- change to "1 Essence"
p. 50: "a special rite" -- change to "a special Rite"
p. 50: "an extra point of Essence" -- change to "an extra Essence" or "an extra 1 Essence". This usage (and change) occurs twice in the last paragraph of the first column!
p. 50, Essence (2nd column): "9 points of Essence" -- change to "9 Essence"
p. 50, Regaining Essence section: three errata of "a point of Essence" -- change to "1 Essence" in each case
p. 51, Core Rules - Dominic is the Archangel of Judgement, not Justice.
p. 54: "a point of Essence" -- change to "1 Essence" (2 instances in text)
p. 54: D-HEAD "Spending Essence" -- delete "point of"
p. 56: "in addition to the number of points of Essence spent" should be "in addition to the amount of Essence spent"
p. 59, box: "two Essence" -- change to "2 Essence"
p. 59: "10 points of Essence" -- change to "10 Essence"
p. 71, Fiery Sword: "1 point of Essence" -- change to "1 Essence"
p. 79: "each extra point of Essence" -- change to "every extra Essence"
p. 83: "a Shedim" should be "a Shedite"
p. 85: "an additional point of Essence" -- change to "an additional 1 Essence"
p. 101, box: "a Malakim" should be "a Malakite"
p. 109: "one point of Essence" -- change to "1 Essence"
p. 117, Elohim: "every point of Essence" -- change to "every 1 Essence" or "every Essence." (Unless we want to use "measures" of Essence, in which case there are likely to be a lot of revisions...)
p. 117, Transub: "each point of Essence" -- change to "each Essence" or "every Essence"
p. 152: "a Shedim" should be "a Shedite"
p. 154: "as many points of Essence" -- change to "as much Essence"
p. 157: "one point of Essence" -- change to "1 Essence"
p. 161, Basic Rites: "2 points of Essence" -- change to "2 Essence"
p. 163, Art of Combat: "every point of Essence" -- change to "every 1 Essence" or "every Essence"
p. 163, State of Ophis: "2 points of Essence" -- change to "2 Essence"
p. 171, Shedim: "also regenerate a point of Essence" -- change to "they also get 1 Essence"
p. 173, Shedim: "a Shedim" should be "a Shedite"
p. 173, Captain: "one Essence" --> "1 Essence" and "two Essence" --> "2 Essence"
p. 176: Spurious double periods at the end of the Calabim entry.
p. 176: "Habbalites of the Media" should be "Habbalah of the Media" or "Punishers of the Media"
p. 182: "a Habbalah" should be "a Habbalite"
p. 183: "each point of Essence" --> "every Essence" or "each Essence"
p. 193, Mummies: "1 point of Essence" --> "1 Essence"

Lilith errata:
Most clear errata has been given its own page now. Typos are not included on that page, so I'm leaving them here for my own purposes.

p. 26 - replace picture with the box (boxtext is now on errata page)
p. 33 - "(see below)" should be "(see box)"
p. 37 - 2nd column, missing ")" after "be as such"
p. 42 - Romancing the Throne -- geas-hooks should be Geas-hooks.
Possible Lilith errata: No Superior sigil. Information about Word-bound Free Lilim has not been pulled from the GMG, p. 23. Lilith as the glass ceiling of Lilim not pulled from the IPG (p. 49, "Some Famous Lilim"). Possible comment about Orphaned (ex-)Bound Lilim. Unclarity about what kinds of job-gossip are permitted, on pages 24 and 33; change p. 33 "jobs" to "missions"? Perhaps change "Sample Servitors" to "Sample Lilim"?

Liber Umbrarum errata:

Strange Bedfellows errata:

City on Fire errata:

A Very Nybbas Christmas errata:

Feast of Blades errata:

The Rats' Revenge errata:

In Nomine Lite: The Sorcerer's Impediments:
p. 2: Angels prefer selflessness, thinking of the group above the individual. (Not the whole. Oop.).
p. 2: Ranged Weapons skill should be Ranged Weapon skill.
p. 2: Kris' Ranged Weapon skill on p. 4 is 4, not 2.
p. 2, Essence paragraph: "use songs" should be "use Songs"
p. 3, Combat section: "use a song" should be "use a Song"
p. 4: Merari's Song of Thunder target number is not given in the text.
p. 5: Local History box: Replace "check" with "roll." In Nomine has one make rolls, not checks.
p. 6, 6th paragraph: "such as might wreathe a certain Malakite's hands" -- insert the missing a.
p. 6, 8th paragraph: replace "unsummoning ritual" with "banishing ritual"; ditto the top paragraph of the second column.
p. 6, 8th paragraph: replace "Intelligence check" with "Intelligence roll".
p. 6, 8th paragraph: replace "Knowledge (literature)" with "Knowledge (Literature)".
p. 7, Who's Where?: Replace "Perception check" with "Perception roll".
p. 7, Who's Where?" Replace "the check is at" with "the roll is at".
p. 7: replace the loathsome "loathe" with "loath."
p. 8: In Ummah's Celestial Song of Entropy description, "then you are unaffected by this song" should capitalize "Song."
p, 8: In Ummah's description of her powers, "you are unaffected by this song." should be "you are unaffected." (It's her resonance, not a Song.)
p. 8, Demonic Power: Lowercase "entropy," yes.
p. 8, Ummah's Combat Tactics: "Songs of Entropy" -- strike "of Entropy" or make "Song" singular.

Possible INLite: TSI errata: p. 2, Essence paragraph: "point of Essence" should strike "point of" -- since Exalted stole the cool use of "mote" before I thought of it, Essence has no units.
p. 8: "1 to 3 points of Essence" should "1 to 3 Essence" -- since Exalted stole the good use of "motes" before I thought of it, Essence has no units.
p. 2: Note explicitly that these are stripped-down rules, sometimes keeping the spirit but not the details of the mechanics? A box on Interventions? ("Sometimes, there is a 666, and a 111 -- numbers with Beastly or Trinity implications. No matter who rolls them, the GM may decide to work a divine or infernal miracle, and do whatever will be most dramatic. Demons usually like a 666 result. Angels cheer for a 111. Have fun.") Choir/Band concepts? Word/Superior concepts? Vessels & non-permanence of dying? Put motivations on the PC angels? Strike the "as a Seraph of Destiny is likely to discover" from Alex's write-up? Allude to Dissonance Conditions (if not by name)?

Eli:
Errata which is at this page is not on the forum post here.
p. 7: "cookery classes" -- "Cookery" is a British-ism, and we'll probably change it for that reason (we usually American-ize our text, and this slipped through). However, it is the correct word, and Italian cooking schools do use it in their English sales materials.
p. 14: "per cent" should be "percent"
p. 26, top of second column, missing hyphen in the line-break in the word "relaxation." (It is "rel<linebreak>axation" at the moment.)
p. 31, box: Lack of italics in the opening blurb, and "My Love, My Jaffa" should be bold; it's a book.

Possible Eli errata: p. 32, box: ST, DX, IQ, and HT should be in Bold? p. 34, box: ST, DX, IQ, and HT should be in Bold? No Eli sigil, alas.

Last edited by Archangel Beth; 06-22-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Archangel Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Sagitta

Default Re: Submit Errata for e23 In Nomine products

Sorceror's Impediments
Sorry to look a free horse in the mouth, but where else am I going to find nits?
(This post contains very minor spoilers for anyone intending to play the adventure.)

p2
Angels prefer selflessness, thinking of the group above the whole.
The group above the individual?
To use a skill, add its number to an appropriate characteristic to determine the target number required for success. If Kris wants to fire a gun, for instance, she adds her Ranged Weapons (Pistol) skill of 2 to her Agility of 4 for a target number of 6.
  • There is no longer a single base characteristic for a skill - is this deliberate? If not, the target numbers could be precalculated for simplicity.
  • In IN hevvy, the characteristic for Ranged Weapon is Precision.
  • The skill is Ranged Weapon (singular)
  • Kris's Ranged Weapon (Pistol) skill is 4, and her Agility is 5. (Her Precision is 4 though.)

p6
Breaking open the desk with fire (such as might wreathe certain Malakite’s hands)...
I'm not sure whether this is meant to be 'a certain Malakite’s hands', or (if IN Lite uses more English plurals) 'certain Malakites’ hands'.

p7
Ummah would be loathe to lose her pet...
The adjective is 'loath' or 'loth'.

p8
Alexandre Darkmoon (formerly Alexander Smith, as a Seraph of Destiny is likely to discover).
Perhaps, but I'd expect him to truthfully call himself 'Alexandre Darkmoon', and refuse to give his former name. Jonathan lite does not have the Seraph of Destiny Attunement.
a seductresses’ vessel
a seductress’s vessel

The following concepts and background facts may not be clear to newcomers:
  • divine intervention (probably wasn't meant to be mentioned at all)
  • fledge
  • vessel
  • Word
  • Seraph of Destiny means 'one of many Seraphim in the service of the Archangel of Destiny', as compared with Demon of Sorcery.
  • corporeal death is only temporary for angels
  • the significance of the missing doors (but that's probably deliberate)

The NPCs' motives are discussed, but not those of the PCs. Some players might think they're obliged to kill Alex.
Sagitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

EDIT: I may sound crotchety here and there, but I do want to thank you for submitting the errata. It's good when people read something that closely. O:>

Note: Chris (now correctly listed as editor, but I may ask Scott to give him co-author credit) is the one who stripped down the complete character sheets I handed him. O:> Jonny-Seraph had Seraph of Destiny when he left my computer...

I'm wondering if I should suggest a companion piece here, or on Pyramid, which has the full character sheets (including the GURPS ones), to show off how point-balanced they were.

The Precision one has been spotted and fixed. I'm going to go through the most recent copy and poke at the rest.

I'm not sure I understand your "not a single base characteristic" errata --explain?

p. 7 -- ...I hate Balseraphs of Technology.

p. 7 also has a "what do we do with them?" section -- though it's true that the players won't be seeing that. Hmm.

Last edited by Archangel Beth; 12-01-2005 at 11:59 AM.
Archangel Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
EDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
I'm not sure I understand your "not a single base characteristic" errata --explain?
As I understand it, Sagitta's comment is based on Kris's use of Agility with Ranged Weapon (which you tell us has been corrected :), plus the Skills paragraph, specifically:

"To use a skill, add its number to an appropriate characteristic to determine the target number required for success."

(Emphasis mine.) The implication is that any appropriate characteristic can be added.

Quote:
Yes, but it's not a verb in context. "Be loath to lose" or "loathe losing" are both correct; "be loathe to lose" uses the verb form when the word is an adjective. ("Ummah would loathe to lose..." is questionably correct - my copy of the AP stylebook inexplicably does not include the word at all - but if I were the editor I would change the infinitive "to lose" to the gerund "losing", because "loathe" almost always takes a gerund in my experience.)

EDIT: I see you beat me to it. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitta
p6
Breaking open the desk with fire (such as might wreathe certain Malakite’s hands)...
I'm not sure whether this is meant to be 'a certain Malakite’s hands', or (if IN Lite uses more English plurals) 'certain Malakites’ hands'.
I would suspect the former, given that there is, in fact, a Malakite of Fire listed as a PC. (The proper plural would be "certain Malakim's", anyway, and I'd rewrite to "the hands of certain Malakim" since the other way is awkward.)

Last edited by EDG; 12-01-2005 at 12:12 PM.
EDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #5
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDG
As I understand it, Sagitta's comment is based on Kris's use of Agility with Ranged Weapon (which you tell us has been corrected :), plus the Skills paragraph, specifically:

"To use a skill, add its number to an appropriate characteristic to determine the target number required for success."

(Emphasis mine.) The implication is that any appropriate characteristic can be added.
Hm. Except that in the core rules (IN Hevvy, heh), there are skills which are based off of "the higher of X or Y," so while the context there had an error in the first version (now corrected to Precision), there are skills which have two appropriate characteristics possible. (And if someone can figure out how to make a Knowledge roll, say, go off of Agility... I wouldn't stand in that person's way. *grin*)

So I could see it go either way.

(Yeah, I was working on the first post before going to pick up the minx from school, and the Balseraphs of the Media were gnawing on what I was reading. O:p I thought about double-checking as I was pulling into her parking lot, and then there was lunch, yadda.)
Old 12-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
EDG

Quote:
Hm. Except that in the core rules (IN Hevvy, heh), there are skills which are based off of "the higher of X or Y," so while the context there had an error in the first version (now corrected to Precision), there are skills which have two appropriate characteristics possible. (And if someone can figure out how to make a Knowledge roll, say, go off of Agility... I wouldn't stand in that person's way. *grin*)

So I could see it go either way.
Makes sense. I still think the wording is a bit unclear, but given your point I can't think of a better way to phrase it that doesn't take more than a few more words.

("My character doesn't have any skill in Climbing, but he's watched that one scene in The Princess Bride, like, a thousand times. Can I substitute Knowledge (The Cliffs of Insanity) for Climbing?")

(I kid.)

Quote:
(Yeah, I was working on the first post before going to pick up the minx from school, and the Balseraphs of the Media were gnawing on what I was reading. O:p I thought about double-checking as I was pulling into her parking lot, and then there was lunch, yadda.)
Understood. *scritch*
Old 12-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #7
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDG
("My character doesn't have any skill in Climbing, but he's watched that one scene in The Princess Bride, like, a thousand times. Can I substitute Knowledge (The Cliffs of Insanity) for Climbing?")
"Sure! At a -12 penalty for not being Wesley."

*evil grin*
Old 12-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #8
Sagitta

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDG
Can I substitute Knowledge (The Cliffs of Insanity) for Climbing?
Inconceivable!

But yes, you correctly interpreted my point about an appropriate characteristic.

And a couple more errata for p8:
Ummah may create a field of Entropy
Should be 'entropy' without a capital, for consistency with the core rules and to avoid confusion with her Song of Entropy.
her Songs of Entropy
She has one Song of Entropy, and one of Light.

By the way, would the demonlings really go to Limbo if killed (p9), or is that just what they fear?
Edit: hmm, I suppose they would, most of them are strays, and no-one will have given them Hearts.

Last edited by Sagitta; 12-01-2005 at 04:20 PM. Reason: answered own question
Sagitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:19 PM   #9
EDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitta
By the way, would the demonlings really go to Limbo if killed (p9), or is that just what they fear?
If they don't have Hearts, they'll go directly to Limbo when their corporeal vessels are killed, yes.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:42 PM   #10
Chris Aylott

In Sorcerer's Impediments, the occasional references to "points of Essence" are intentional, not errata. It's a clarification for beginners.

As noted in another thread, we will not be adding concepts back into this adventure. There are all sorts of things we'd like to add, but the goal of the simplification was to present only the rules that were absolutely necessary for the adventure itself.

best wishes,