Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #11
pgb

Default Re: Powers that Erase Physical Evidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
GURPS Action 3: Furious Fists, pp14-15.
Thanks. That's not where I would have guessed...
Old 05-04-2021, 01:12 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Hi, I'm just asking questions. What are the various Superpowers and/or Magic Abilities that can erase physical evidence (B144).

The idea si that each character has an Advantage / Trait that erases all physical evidence from Muggles, those with the Mundane background. It would be an on-going event. Of course, the PC's and other characters In-The-Know, i.e. with the Illuminated trait (B60).
Those sounds kind of like Zeroed, but with extras. If I were building it as a power I'd likely use Obscure with a new variation:

Quote:
Evidence: Your obscure removes all physical evidence of your passing in an area. This includes hair, fingernails, skin cells, scraps of clothing or fibers, etc. If it can be used to identify you later on by physical means then this version of Obscure covers it.
Next, I'd build it out:

Quote:
Obscure (Evidence; Always On, -50%; Cosmic, Lingering Effect, +100%; Defensive, +50%; Extended, Traces, +20%; No Area Effect, -50%; Stealthy, +100%; Time Spanning, Past and Future, +100%) [7.4/level]
Traces is from Pyramid #4/2: Modern Action (p. 20) and effectively removes paper trails and such from your character's passing. Otherwise, the above build makes it impossible for others to pick up evidence about you. It even removes evidence about you from the past or future making it impossible to use things like Echoes of the Past or Precognition on your character for the purposes of finding evidence with those abilities.

You could go another way of course, but that's probably how I'd do it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #13
whswhs

Try building Affliction (Mundane Background, +10%). I think it may do some of what you want.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #14
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Those sounds kind of like Zeroed, but with extras. If I were building it as a power I'd likely use Obscure with a new variation:

"Evidence: Your obscure removes all physical evidence of your passing in an area. This includes hair, fingernails, skin cells, scraps of clothing or fibers, etc. If it can be used to identify you later on by physical means then this version of Obscure covers it."

Next, I'd build it out:

"Obscure (Evidence; Always On, -50%; Cosmic, Lingering Effect, +100%; Defensive, +50%; Extended, Traces, +20%; No Area Effect, -50%; Stealthy, +100%; Time Spanning, Past and Future, +100%) [7.4/level]"

Traces is from Pyramid #4/2: Modern Action (p. 20) and effectively removes paper trails and such from your character's passing. Otherwise, the above build makes it impossible for others to pick up evidence about you. It even removes evidence about you from the past or future making it impossible to use things like Echoes of the Past or Precognition on your character for the purposes of finding evidence with those abilities.

You could go another way of course, but that's probably how I'd do it.
Wow, that is interesting. The above text does say that Obscure does "remove all physical evidence", so I think that could work. Thanks.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #15
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Try building Affliction (Mundane Background, +10%). I think it may do some of what you want.
That is the most unconventional build suggestion I've ever seen.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:35 AM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Wow, that is interesting. The above text does say that Obscure does "remove all physical evidence", so I think that could work. Thanks.
You might also consider adding Remote Viewing and Divination as extended obscures if those things exist in your setting.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:58 PM   #17
Refplace

Obscure and TK are my preferred methods as both penalize but still allow opposing skills compared to the Zeroed, Affliction (Mundane) or Mind Control with Lingering, Persistent, and Trigger ideas.

Since Obscure was already written up for you, here are my thoughts on TK.
TK with one skill (Forensics) would let you use a contest of skills to see how well you cleaned up the scene but not need tools. I would possibly add No Signature for keeping it hidden from supernatural sources and Reduced Time to be quick about it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:13 PM   #18
Mancini

Bungo Stray Dogs had a version of that. There it perfectly removed all physical evidence of a crime (and no info other than evidence of a crime), to the point that the only ways to solve the crime was pure deduction, or getting the power-user to confess. Since you couldn’t directly contest that with skill, I guess that would be based on Zeroed.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:10 PM   #19
Donny Brook

This sounds bizarre but I'll put it out there -- treat your entire character as one big metatrait and put No Signature 20% on it. For a 250 CP PC it would be [50].
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #20
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
No Signature 20%... [50].
If you're going that route, you might as well save some points and Limit your Enhancement with an Accessibility (Only for criminal actions). Otherwise, everything the character ever does with any ability leaves no signature.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote