Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Corporate or Theocracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
That depends. If you use GURPS Realm Management, then there is, definitely.
If that's what the OP is doing he should choose the label that has the game mechanics he belives best fit the situation.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #12
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
That depends. If you use GURPS Realm Management, then there is, definitely.
I haven't read that, so I wouldn't know what they are. For the last 16 years, what I said would have been true, and it remains true for anyone not using GURPS Realm Management. I don't know if the original poster is.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:41 PM   #13
Ramidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Suppose you have a world colonized by a group that started out as a "personal development company". They recruited members using MLM techniques, promising to teach them how to succeed in life, and after a certain point, moving on to using mind probe technology to remove memories that were "hampering their ability to make the most of themselves". Eventually things got a little hot for them on their original planet, so they bought a marginally habitable planet and colonized it before people's tolerance was entirely used up.

Here's the question, are they going to be classified as a corporate state, or a theocracy?
My answer would depend on the form that the colony's government ultimately took.

-Is it still run by the company for the profit of its owners? If so, corporate.
-Is the government's legitimacy or power built on dogmatic adherence to the MLM scheme? If so, it's a theocracy.

If both are the answer, then the answer is probably "both." For example, people are expected to pay upstairs for the life hacks and trainings that will help them succeed and advance in life, which are rigidifying into rituals and tithes. Those who don't spend a portion of their money on Scheme seminars and mind cleanses, or who succeed without using the Scheme's methods, threaten the social order...

Last edited by Ramidel; 05-04-2021 at 08:49 PM.
Ramidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #14
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramidel View Post
My answer would depend on the form that the colony's government ultimately took.

-Is it still run by the company for the profit of its owners? If so, corporate.
-Is the government's legitimacy or power built on dogmatic adherence to the MLM scheme? If so, it's a theocracy.

If both are the answer, then the answer is probably "both." For example, people are expected to pay upstairs for the life hacks and trainings that will help them succeed and advance in life, which are rigidifying into rituals and tithes. Those who don't spend a portion of their money on Scheme seminars and mind cleanses, or who succeed without using the Scheme's methods, threaten the social order...
This actually makes a lot of sense to me. I'd go with this.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote