Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-29-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
Kallatari

Default [IW] What does the world of Cyrano look like?

In my Infinite Worlds campaign, I'm having a hard time determining what the worldline of Cyrano "looks" like, as in what the technology looks like, the architecture, the clothing, etc. Do they have television? computers? I'm therefore looking for ideas, evidence, or even just opinions or suggestions. Note that this is solely about "the life of a Cyrano native", and nothing to do with the geopolitics and religion of the setting (other than the Jansenists might control some of the tech). My PCs are visiting Cyrano, so what do they see? what do they interact with?

Obviously, the primary guidance is the TL rating of TL 5+4 (with TL4^ space travel), and the year is 1956. And here are a couple of quotes from the worldline description that may be useful:
Occasionally, a Jansenist scholar, with the approval of his Father Superior, would reveal such a mystery to the laity, bound into crystal-and-metal devices of wondrous import.

A web of crystalwave communicators and Carnot routes linked the French Indies and New France to the court at Versailles. The steam engines unveiled in the 1770s cut travel time even more, built into voltigeurs – the “jump boats” that hung in the air like ever-falling feathers, and flew like hawks far and straight. Finally, the Pascal Drive unlocked the heavens themselves
So, clearly, it's a form a crystal-based psi-tech, that's tightly controlled by the Jansenist (Christian psis). But how widespread is this tech? The quotes suggest the Church shares the tech as needed. I get the impression they shared the crystalwave communicators to the world, but it sounds like the secrets of the force sword remain in their hands (only the Royal Guards trained by Jansenists were allowed the force sword).

The nations and armies have ships, submersible, and spaceships...what do these look like? Flight took the "voltigeur" path. What does those look like? Are they flying boats? So do we assume that the typical plane would look like a 1950's boat except that it happens to float in the air thanks to the crystal psi-tech? Or would their planes have wings just like on our world? I think it's obvious they have some sort of crystal-powered reactionless thrust, but again that's an assumption. The TL4^ for space travel almost suggest it is a boat. (And does that mean that outer space, like the moon, Mars, and Venus, has oxygen?.. would allow for sound effects ;) )

I think one easy change is that their batteries/generators are crystal-derived, and maybe give the equivalent to TL9 power cells and generators. But then what uses that tech? Would that mean they never went down the path of nuclear reactions and weapons? (although they could have a psi-crystal equivalent).

TL9 gives access to laser weapons. Do they have psi-tech lasers? And if they have force swords (normally TL10^), does that not mean they could reasonably have any level TL gear available (powered by psi!), and that TL9 is just the world average? Should force fields not be available if force swords are? Would those be massed-produced and available to everyone, or something rare available to the top armies; in which case, does everyone else use normal TL7 firearms and bullets?

The TL4^ space travel annotation is weird. I would almost assume that there's no concept of astrogation computers to plot courses, etc. So they travel by sight... find mars in a telescope, then head towards it. Guess it's one way to explain why they haven't left the solar system. So perhaps TL9 in terms of space travel capabilities (i.e., speeds), but no actual "science" behind it.

I had at first thought some sort of steamtech (normally TL5+1) where the steamtech was really advanced (to get to TL5+4), but those aren't normally set in the 1950s. And it just doesn't feel right, as Cyrano sounds more "swashbuckler" in style. In fact, it sounds very Star Wars in style, just not as high tech (and that's certainly debatable when you think that they have force swords). Do I just assume a 1950s visuals with some added Star Wars visuals (or all Star Wars visuals)? It's future, but we still wear robes, have monarchies, and wear the colors of our nation? Ships and buildings look cool and practical functionality doesn't matter? I do know it's not supposed to look "futuristic", as that's the role of Gernsback

Anyway, I would love to hear other people's thoughts on how to describe living on Cyrano
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
Tyneras

Default Re: [IW] What does the world of Cyrano look like?

As far as space travel, it sounds like it's TL4 sailing, just in space with psi-crystals. Since they don't seem to have to deal with Delta-V and other such headaches, then just aiming your ship where you expect the planet to be and correcting as you go works fine. Sailors had to deal with all sorts of navigational oddities thanks to ocean currents, intercepting other moving ships (that don't want to be intercepted) that dealing with moving planets and asteroids isn't much of a stretch if realistic rocketry is removed.

As for the world in general, I get a very Flash Gordon vibe to it. Mainframes and communicators, not personal computers. Tremendously powerful machines but a noticeable lack of automation. I'd expect homes to have a crystalwave communicator, combination home theater and 2-way video (holographic?) phone, but books and paperwork filled out by hand.

Energy weapons certainly, but not lasers as we understand them.

Memetic ghosts and the "Spiral Principal" make me think that TV style hypnotism and mind control are available. The sort of stuff that works well but can be broken with a good slap and a swig of brandy.

Edit: I don't view "TL5+4" as hyper advanced steam tech, so much as steam tech was that last time reality and Cyrano had identical technology.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallatari View Post
I? It's future, but we still wear robes, have monarchies, and wear the colors of our nation? Ships and buildings look cool and practical functionality doesn't matter? I do know it's not supposed to look "futuristic", as that's the role of Gernsback

Anyway, I would love to hear other people's thoughts on how to describe living on Cyrano
Besides the words in Louis' description you have his ilustration. So he wears a 19th century dress military uniform (though the basket hilt for his force sword is earlier than that).

You can probably take the place as being TL5 for style and TL9 for performance.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
thrash

The descriptions of Cyrano are couched in un-apologetically purple prose, like a pulp novel from the 30's. It's not just the tech that's TL5+4 -- the cosmology is Lowellian at best, with breathable atmospheres on Mars, Venus, and (apparently) caverns on the Moon. Coupled with the obvious nods to Star Wars and Buck Rogers, I would say this is the world of Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and early Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Besides these sources, you might try the Harry Turtledove short stories, "The Road Not Taken" and "Herbig-Haro" for inspiration on alt-tech space travel.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:35 AM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Besides the words in Louis' description you have his ilustration. So he wears a 19th century dress military uniform (though the basket hilt for his force sword is earlier than that).

TL 5 for clothes and architecture but I'm sure they have Flash Gordon zap guns and jet packs. They definitely use energy weapons. The Han fliers are described as using some kind of energy cannon. Probably a low rate of fire though.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
The nations and armies have ships, submersible, and spaceships...what do these look like?
I suspect they look like steampunk boats. Going steampunk on every aesthetic is probably wrong for Cyrano, but it feels correct for boats.

Quote:
Flight took the "voltigeur" path. What does those look like? Are they flying boats? So do we assume that the typical plane would look like a 1950's boat except that it happens to float in the air thanks to the crystal psi-tech? Or would their planes have wings just like on our world?
I'd guess they look like steampunk boats, perhaps with more streamlined hulls. I wouldn't be too surprised to see flapping wings on the world "voltigeur" is a real one: it means acrobat. Though given that floating whale isles are within the reach of the dutch, the wings probably aren't needed.

Quote:
I think it's obvious they have some sort of crystal-powered reactionless thrust, but again that's an assumption. The TL4^ for space travel almost suggest it is a boat. (And does that mean that outer space, like the moon, Mars, and Venus, has oxygen?.. would allow for sound effects ;) )
Venus and mars almost certainly have oxygen. Space probably has ether, which may or may not be breathable.

Quote:
I think one easy change is that their batteries/generators are crystal-derived, and maybe give the equivalent to TL9 power cells and generators. But then what uses that tech? Would that mean they never went down the path of nuclear reactions and weapons? (although they could have a psi-crystal equivalent).
I would expect crystal energy weapons. Nuclear Weapons and reactors feel very wrong in the setting. I'm not sure that city-leveling bombs powered by psi-crystals feels right either, but I'm not sure.

I'm struggling to reconcile the extreme high tech level with the control the Jansenites have over technology. Its hard to put a crystal powered lamp in every house if they all have to be made by one religious order. And I'm not sure that giving them a simple TL5 existence with a layer of marvelous tech on top works either... though I am starting to lean that way.

Quote:
TL9 gives access to laser weapons. Do they have psi-tech lasers? And if they have force swords (normally TL10^), does that not mean they could reasonably have any level TL gear available (powered by psi!), and that TL9 is just the world average? Should force fields not be available if force swords are? Would those be massed-produced and available to everyone, or something rare available to the top armies; in which case, does everyone else use normal TL7 firearms and bullets?
I'd give them TL10^ weapons, no problem. Force-fields don't feel out of place. I can't decide if they should be used to allow battles to continue to be fought at melee ranges, or if they should be limited to large installations.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:40 PM   #7
Kallatari

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
The descriptions of Cyrano are couched in un-apologetically purple prose, like a pulp novel from the 30's. It's not just the tech that's TL5+4 -- the cosmology is Lowellian at best, with breathable atmospheres on Mars, Venus, and (apparently) caverns on the Moon. Coupled with the obvious nods to Star Wars and Buck Rogers, I would say this is the world of Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and early Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Besides these sources, you might try the Harry Turtledove short stories, "The Road Not Taken" and "Herbig-Haro" for inspiration on alt-tech space travel.
I had originally considered Jules Vernes and H.G. Wells to some extent, but then for some reason turned away from them thinking more Star Wars. But may be worth a check again. I'll also look into the other names you provided as well. Thanks.

Now part of me wonders if I should also be looking into the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen with respect to style.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #8
Kallatari

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
TL 5 for clothes and architecture but I'm sure they have Flash Gordon zap guns and jet packs. They definitely use energy weapons. The Han fliers are described as using some kind of energy cannon. Probably a low rate of fire though.
I didn't even consider Flash Gordon because the clothing style just felt completely wrong. But if you ignore the clothing, and only look at the spaceship and beam weapon tech, that might be worth looking into. I certainly can envision the spaceships fitting in, but I'd probably put slightly more "steampunk" to them.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:53 PM   #9
Kallatari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I agree, which means it does seem to go well with a Jules Vernes interpretation of the future. I'm just trying to picture what a TL5 spaceship looks like.

I guess my current approach is: a) start with TL5 design; b) add some steampunk mods to get higher TL functionality; then c) upgrade appearance of steampunk mods to TL9^ crystal-tech mods (whatever that might be)

But certainly still looking for inspiration for those.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #10
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm struggling to reconcile the extreme high tech level with the control the Jansenites have over technology. Its hard to put a crystal powered lamp in every house if they all have to be made by one religious order. And I'm not sure that giving them a simple TL5 existence with a layer of marvelous tech on top works either... though I am starting to lean that way.
A TL5+4 setting should have the same Starting Wealth (and, by implication, per-capita GDP), life expectancy, game-mechanical medical effects, etc., as a TL9 setting. That might be a place to start.

Quote:
I agree, which means it does seem to go well with a Jules Vernes interpretation of the future. I'm just trying to picture what a TL5 spaceship looks like.
I present HMAS Dauntless, although that's more TL5+5^ than TL4^. You might also consider Space 1889.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote