Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2021, 09:27 PM   #411
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

OOC:

As Pacifica shift closes to an end, she tells Nejora about a new chill-out place (Hua’s window). She tells her she would like to go there sometime around their off-hours, expressing her high expectations. During lunch Pacifica talks with her lunch-friends and checks whether or not they have collected any interesting rumors.

Pacifica's acting (talking to Nejora):
3d6 <= 15
2 + 6 + 3 = 11 ... success

Pacifica's fast talk (talking to lunch-friends):
3d6 <= 13
2 + 4 + 1 = 7 ... success

BTW Erick, did somebody (lunch-friends) make suggestions to improve Pacifica’s plan? It’s the input for this post.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:28 AM   #412
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"I've got an idea to get my buddy and you in the same place non-suspicious like. I go up one floor hang out with my buddy, then shortly after decide to return to our bunkroom. You go up one floor, and just when we're waiting for an elevator, you come out, accidental contact, and you make the adjustments."
"Okay, we can do that. Just let me know the timing. I probably should bring Pothi just so that it doesn't look suspicious why I'm out on my own."
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #413
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
"Okay, we can do that. Just let me know the timing. I probably should bring Pothi just so that it doesn't look suspicious why I'm out on my own."
OK, making another IQ roll in case fetching Pothi makes the timing harder (I think it will):
Quote:
[276] 21-01-30 16:51:50 CET
IQ
3d6 <= 14 : 1 + 1 + 2 = 4 ... success
OK, guess it's time to proceed.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:34 AM   #414
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
OK, making another IQ roll in case fetching Pothi makes the timing harder (I think it will):


OK, guess it's time to proceed.
Given that you rolled a critical...

Daymar happened to leave Pothi quite close to Hua and Thibi's return route to their mess. All he has to do is leave first and watch for them to pass.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #415
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
OOC:

As Pacifica shift closes to an end, she tells Nejora about a new chill-out place (Hua’s window). She tells her she would like to go there sometime around their off-hours, expressing her high expectations. During lunch Pacifica talks with her lunch-friends and checks whether or not they have collected any interesting rumors.
The roll for Nejora should be fast-talk. She is reluctantly willing to go to the window. She claims its because she has nowhere better to be.



The rumors are mostly repetitions of this:

Quote:
On the morning of day 15 (the leading edge of the story, when Hua is released), Pacifica arrives at her duty station to find the entire area buzzing with rumors. Several arrests had been made, a man had been shot fleeing security, and they thought they might have a dreadstormer in custody. Maybe. Rumor had it two different firefights had occurred yesterday, and they caught someone trying to start a fire.

The news on this has slowly solidified. Six arrests were made, with at least one release. One arrest was two members of security, and they think they caught the arson. The suspicion is that there is a mind controller aboard.



Quote:
BTW Erick, did somebody (lunch-friends) make suggestions to improve Pacifica’s plan? It’s the input for this post.
They came up with a secret code-word to indicate they thought a dreadstormer was around. They focused on what to do in the mess. The general procedure is to lure them into a room and bolt the door. Pacifica comes up with a scheme to wire the door to electrocute the dreadstormer. The group descends into fine details, like who should be the bait, who is the best electrician, and what do do if they run into a precog who can undo the trap. (The thought that they might be facing ergokinetics doesn't cross their minds)
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:10 PM   #416
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The roll for Nejora should be fast-talk. She is reluctantly willing to go to the window. She claims its because she has nowhere better to be (...)
Alright, please let me know the result:

Pacifica's fast-talk (Nejora)
3d6 <= 13
4 + 4 + 5 = 13 ... success

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The rumors (...) slowly solidified (...) with at least one release (...) The suspicion is that there is a mind controller aboard (...) They came up with a secret code-word to indicate they thought a dreadstormer was around. (...) (The thought that they might be facing ergokinetics doesn't cross their minds)
Thanks! As Pacifica listens to her friends, she concludes the following:

It is only a matter of time until Daymar is found…

They already have an idea about his powers, and since Daymar said his section is hot, it will be easy to make him take the bait by having him repeat his strategy over and over… In other words, if they know someone has already bypassed the food’s psi-suppressants (hence the availability of his powers), all they have to do is wait until they find the same oddity.

Now, if Hua sent the “schedule change” note, she should have been the person that was caught and then released. So, she must have a new buddy…. Or better said, a watcher. And who knows... Perhaps there are more guys behind her...


As these thoughts cross her mind, Pacifica wonders about the plan... The other day they mentioned the possibility of flushing oxygen away, how easy is that? And how easily can you bolt the door?

Pacifica's Savoir Faire (Military, for the purpose of Pacifica's questions)
3d6 <= 14
3 + 2 + 3 = 8 ... success
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:24 PM   #417
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Given that you rolled a critical...

Daymar happened to leave Pothi quite close to Hua and Thibi's return route to their mess. All he has to do is leave first and watch for them to pass.
Daymar "bumps" into Thibi, making skin contact. It's not his most convincing performance, but he uses the opportunity to perform Mental Surgery on her.

[280] 21-02-02 22:23:18 CET

Mental Surgery on Thibi (10 points of delusions related to Hua's innocence/being above suspicion)

3d6 <= 16
1 + 6 + 4 = 11 ... success

[279] 21-02-02 22:21:49 CET

Acting (to make bumping into Thibi seem like an accident)

3d6 <= 14
6 + 5 + 3 = 14 ... success
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #418
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Daymar "bumps" into Thibi, making skin contact. It's not his most convincing performance, but he uses the opportunity to perform Mental Surgery on her.

Thibi takes the alterations: She will assume Hua is above reproach, and will ignore the buddy rule for Hua.



Thibi apologizes for bumping into Daymar, insisting that it was her fault.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post

It is only a matter of time until Daymar is found…

They already have an idea about his powers, and since Daymar said his section is hot, it will be easy to make him take the bait by having him repeat his strategy over and over… In other words, if they know someone has already bypassed the food’s psi-suppressants (hence the availability of his powers), all they have to do is wait until they find the same oddity.

Now, if Hua sent the “schedule change” note, she should have been the person that was caught and then released. So, she must have a new buddy…. Or better said, a watcher. And who knows... Perhaps there are more guys behind her...


Is this directed at Daymar? it might be a good idea to pass this information on to him.



Quote:
As these thoughts cross her mind, Pacifica wonders about the plan... The other day they mentioned the possibility of flushing oxygen away, how easy is that? And how easily can you bolt the door?

Pacifica's Savoir Faire (Military, for the purpose of Pacifica's questions)
3d6 <= 14
3 + 2 + 3 = 8 ... success
Soldier or spacer would be more appropriate, but you've already rolled well, and your conversation with your mess table would have already brought this up.



Every compartment door or hatch can be sealed. This is done with a large and sturdy lever on the door. Both sides have the lever. it takes one second to seal the door with the lever, two seconds if you fail your DX roll. The other side can open up the lever, of course, but once in place there is a certain resistance to moving it, and its easier to win a lever wrestle with a dread stormer than an actual wrestling match. Officers, security, and some noncomissioned officers have access to padlocks you can put on these levers.



These sealing doors are also on the hydrogen brick compartments.



Altering the gasses in a compartment is a simple spacer roll. You need a source of gas*, access to the controls, and enough time for the gas to exchange in the way you want it, which can take a minute or so. Sucking out the oxygen is hard, but denying any more is easy.


* pipes for such things run throughout the ship. There is usually one in each compartment, along with hoses stored elsewhere to transfer the gasses.

Hua and Pacifica (the girls) can now have their meeting on deck 5, once they make the rolls to get there. (middle of the night for Hua, off hours for pacifica)
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #419
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Hua and Pacifica (the girls) can now have their meeting on deck 5, once they make the rolls to get there. (middle of the night for Hua, off hours for pacifica)
Is there a roundabout route to deck 5 that will avoid high traffic or am I going to have to bank on Acting to avoid "where's your buddy?" questions.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:04 PM   #420
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Is there a roundabout route to deck 5 that will avoid high traffic or am I going to have to bank on Acting to avoid "where's your buddy?" questions.

Yes. The ship is virtually a labyrinth. I was going to make a quip about climbing 10 floors of ladders to avoid the elevators, which are chokepoints, but you sleep on the top of the ship, on deck 2, so you've only got about 3 floors to go down.



You do need stealth to leave the bunk room.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.