Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 04-24-2021, 08:28 PM   #1
DAT

Default Abilities (Advantages) a Ghost Mind Emulation Can Develop

The standard Ghost Mind Emulation template (p.TS120, p.CT53) is pretty sparce with advantages (Absolute Timing, Digital Mind, Extra Life, Possession, and Unaging; most with various limitations). I was thinking that with longer exposure/experience running on a complex computer, a Ghost should be able to learn more “digital intelligence” abilities, and maybe develop new hybrid abilities. So I started developing a list of potential Advantages a PC Ghost might be able to buy, in a non-cinematic THS game.

What are folks’ thoughts about the following List?

Altered Time Rate (mental) – Reflecting better mental speed beyond Enhanced Time Sense, but maybe only on higher complexity computers (8+).

Compartmentalized Mind – Reflecting an ability to write subprograms to run specific tasks (Driving the vehicle, running the sensors, answer emails, wait on the phone for customer service, etc.) while the main mind thinks up plans etc.

Duplication (Digital) – Reflecting an ability to write subprograms to run specific tasks. This borders on XOXing, and maybe overlaps with the Compartmentalize Mind idea.

Eidetic Memory – Reflecting use of better computer search algorithms to recall old memories, and record new memories.

Enhanced Defenses - Reflecting increased speed of thoughts to direct defenses.

Enhanced Time Sense - Reflecting increased speed of thoughts.

Enhanced Tracking – Reflect better ability to multitask, but may require hardware

Extra Attack – Reflecting increased speed of thoughts to direct attacks.

Fearlessness – Reflecting the ability to turn off biological responses with a software routine.

Indomitable - Reflecting the ability to turn off biological/emotional responses with a software routine.

Lighting Calculator – Reflecting ability to utilize the computer processor.

Cybernetic Only versions of Mind Control/Mind Probe/Mind Reading – Reflecting an increased understanding to interface and “Hack” computer systems.

Mind Shield (Cybernetic) – Reflecting an increased understand on defending against “Hacking” of their system.

Modular Abilities (Computer Programs) – Reflecting ability to integrate skills, probably not much different that the “Chip Slot” version a biological character can have.

Single-Minded – Reflecting ability to develop software filters to filter out distracting sensory input

Unfazeable - Reflecting the ability to turn off biological/emotional responses with a software routine.

Visualization – Reflecting ability to develop/run internal simulations of tasks preparing to attempt.

Any others I missed that you think are reasonable?
-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
Phil Masters

Default Re: Abilities (Advantages) a Ghost Mind Emulation Can Develop

The basic idea with a Ghost is that it's a black box literal emulation of an organic brain, so you can't just edit stuff into it the way you can an AI. However, that does mean that anything that can be added to a living human's brain by use of nanomods, implants, or surgery should be emulatable by simply emulating the physical modification -- which covers several of your suggestions.

Beyond that, well, you could emulate very tight interfaces between an organic brain and external systems, so I could see experiments in various sorts of enhancement that way. Having access to a calculator function or a searchable database at the "speed of thought" might certainly look a lot like Lightning Calculator or Eidetic Memory to an outside observer. But then, a lot of people with VIIs will be getting similar benefits.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:35 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Half of the list seems doable by by combining the upload with a SAI and running the combination as a Shadow. Since that gives access to the usual AI goodies like Visualisation and Modular Abilities. But this will up the Complexity to 8 unless you settle for a LAI on the AI side.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:10 AM   #4
Phil Masters

Of course, a Shadow gets Partial Amnesia with shallow memories and a Delusion, which all adds up to a license to the GM to ... have fun.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:37 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Usual Shadows, ones made from low-res scans. This one would not be made from such a flawed source.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:39 AM   #6
Phil Masters

That's pretty much the definition of a Shadow. You're kludging a bunch of date about a biological brain into an AI data structure. If it's made from a high-res scan, with all the original brain's capabilities and memory structures, that's a Ghost.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
That's pretty much the definition of a Shadow. You're kludging a bunch of date about a biological brain into an AI data structure. If it's made from a high-res scan, with all the original brain's capabilities and memory structures, that's a Ghost.
Well the idea is to do a SAI merger . . . but use a high-res mind image. Instead of either no-AI high res mind (Ghost), and instead of the yes-AI but low-res mind (Shadow). Combine the best of both worlds of AIs (like ETS and Modular Abilities) and full-resolution Ghosts (so full memory).
Old 05-04-2021, 09:40 AM   #8
TGLS

But would it legally be a ghost or a shadow?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:02 AM   #9
Anthony

I wouldn't generally allow a ghost mind to spontaneously develop any of those things, as doing so would require breaking out of the sandbox it's running in, but it could be upgraded for advantages.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:47 PM   #10
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Well the idea is to do a SAI merger . . . but use a high-res mind image. Instead of either no-AI high res mind (Ghost), and instead of the yes-AI but low-res mind (Shadow). Combine the best of both worlds of AIs (like ETS and Modular Abilities) and full-resolution Ghosts (so full memory).
That’s the virtual equivalent of physically merging an organic brain with a digital computer, giving it instant, intuitive access to all the capabilities of the computer without compromising any of its own functions. Okay, so there’s less messing with squidgy grey stuff involved than in reality, but it’s no less complex a task. And I seem to recall that’s canonically impossible in TS.

(And I mean, if it was possible, why would anybody bother with a mere standard Ghost?)