Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #21
VIVIT

Default Re: Banestorm language question - english?

Here's an example of someone speaking it instead of singing it. Put on the subtitles and tell me you aren't hearing words popping out you.
VIVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:32 PM   #22
Dencat

Anyones understanding of anglish can vary.. Anglish was establilshed before Tea in current English.

US game writers seem to have a pronounced failing in understanding of how languages develope.. Understandable, as Yrth is both size and shape of Continental US.
Dencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #23
Dencat

Eastern and Western Megalan Anglish should default at -1 spoken without penalty for written, as change is in sounds, not languages itself. Literacy, however shouldn't be as common..
Especially in Yiboraak and Shojoor Goblin should be available at least in broken level .
Dencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #24
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVIT View Post
Here's an example of someone speaking it instead of singing it. Put on the subtitles and tell me you aren't hearing words popping out you.
He's obviously using a modern accent which makes it easier for me. But even then, yeah, I guess I could say I barely have broken with that.
I won't use subtitles, as that would be cheating, IMO, as most in game would rely on speech not writing.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #25
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dencat View Post
US game writers seem to have a pronounced failing in understanding of how languages develope.. Understandable, as Yrth is both size and shape of Continental US.

Sometimes I morn being a monolingual speaker of bizarrely mutant and orphaned tongue. Then I remember that the language is thankfully widely spoken, and that learning new languages is hard.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #26
Alden Loveshade

For me personally, there's a big difference between different spoken languages and different written languages.

I can often pick out words and even general meaning in a Germanic or Romance written language even when I can't pick out anything in the spoken form.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:44 AM   #27
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
French might if you land in just the right place.
The trick is to be a native French speaker to get Broken skill in Aralaise for free, then buy that up to native, and then you get Accented skill in Anglish for free, then can buy that up.

No idea how Niall managed things. B25 says 4x as hard without a teacher. Not sure if that modifies B292 from "2 in 1 out" for Self-Teaching up to 4:1 (4x harder than being taught) or up to 8:1 (4x harder than self-teaching)

... ah Blake used magic! so he had a teacher, lucky.

It's weird how they don't list all the defaults. Niall should have "Aralaise (Accented; Free from Anglish) [0];" just like the Baron (BS145) but doesn't... and neither of them have "Northland (Broken; Free from Anglish) [0] (ie worth 2 perks: 1 for speak 1 for read) either

BS172 Blind Lars also seems kinda mispriced... his Native skill in speaking Northland illiterately should mean a default "Broken" use in yet he pays the full price for speaking Anglish illiterately: 3 points! Since broken is free I think he should only pay 2 points to buy it up, they forgot his perks!
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #28
DaibhidC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
But what I like to think about Yrth (and also Discworld) is that they’re not speaking English, but they’re speaking an oddly similar language with very similar grammatical structures and in the case of Yrth, a lot of the same word roots. So although it’s technically a different language, English-speaking out-timers can learn to communicate with locals reasonably quickly, and every time a rhyme or a pun happens to work the same in both languages, well, that’s just a plausible coincidence.
I remember once having a theory that the signs in Science of Discworld that said things like "Maentnans" and "Emerjansi" didn't mean Roundworld had undergone some kind of spelling reform between the present day and the evacuation, but were simply representing what modern English looked like to someone who spoke Morporkian.
DaibhidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:27 AM   #29
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Sometimes I morn being a monolingual speaker of bizarrely mutant and orphaned tongue. Then I remember that the language is thankfully widely spoken, and that learning new languages is hard.
One thing to keep in mind: English is an extremely varied language. Norwegian and Danish are more similar than Cockney and Hoi Toider, despite the former pair being considered two separate languages and the latter being considered accents or dialects of English. I would imagine if you put somebody from London and somebody from Okracoke in a room, it would be a while before either of them realized the other was even speaking English.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:32 AM   #30
LoneWolf23k

So, my personal take on anglish is that it's basically "Common" from D&D; the trade tongue/patois that every commoner in Megalos and Caithness uses to talk across the Empire.

Mostly because of English's tendency to "chase other languages down dark alleys to mug them for vocabulary," my interpretation of anglish has a lot more french and german loanwords.

I also figured the Nobility (of Megalos, at least) probably speaks a more Romance-based language derived from a mix of Latin with French and Italian, which is considered the language of Nobles, Bureaucracy and Poetry.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anglish, banestorm, banestorm yrth, english, yrth