Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Jerander

Default [Magic] Mana-enhancing demon?

When thinking about how to permanently raise the mana in an area, I had an idea of using a specific type of demon with Affliction (Mana Enhancer; Permanent).

The general idea is of something big and slow and inactive. The longer it sits in place, the higher the mana in the area becomes and/or the larger the area affected becomes. So, for example, first application of the affliction would increase 1-hex radius +1 (Continuous Mana from Thaumatology). The second application would increase the area to 2-hexes and/or increase the 1-hex radius to +2 (which would be Cumulative on the Affliction, I believe). And so on.

1) How would you build such an ability? Yes, I understand I said "demon" so I can just say, "it works how it works," if it's not intended for PCs. Treat it as an intellectual exercise if that helps.

2) I'd like some sort of drawback for letting this thing sit still for too long. However, I'm not sure what that should be. Some ideas:
a) It gets stronger, tougher, more active the longer it sits.
b) It acquires a dangerous automatic ability if it sits still too longer. Maybe Affliction (Twisted Mana Generator).
c) It summons other demons if the mana level gets too high.

The point being, the longer it sits, the greater the rewards, but also the higher the risk. All ideas/suggestions welcome.

3) How would you control such a thing/keep it moving? There must be some sort of limit on this ability, otherwise those trying to use it would need to keep it moving continuously. Any ideas on how to control it? Maybe it doesn't work in no-mana areas? Maybe it only operates in total darkness? Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Thank you,
Jerander.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Mgellis

Default Re: [Magic] Mana-enhancing demon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
When thinking about how to permanently raise the mana in an area, I had an idea of using a specific type of demon with Affliction (Mana Enhancer; Permanent).

The general idea is of something big and slow and inactive. The longer it sits in place, the higher the mana in the area becomes and/or the larger the area affected becomes. So, for example, first application of the affliction would increase 1-hex radius +1 (Continuous Mana from Thaumatology). The second application would increase the area to 2-hexes and/or increase the 1-hex radius to +2 (which would be Cumulative on the Affliction, I believe). And so on.

1) How would you build such an ability? Yes, I understand I said "demon" so I can just say, "it works how it works," if it's not intended for PCs. Treat it as an intellectual exercise if that helps.

2) I'd like some sort of drawback for letting this thing sit still for too long. However, I'm not sure what that should be. Some ideas:
a) It gets stronger, tougher, more active the longer it sits.
b) It acquires a dangerous automatic ability if it sits still too longer. Maybe Affliction (Twisted Mana Generator).
c) It summons other demons if the mana level gets too high.

The point being, the longer it sits, the greater the rewards, but also the higher the risk. All ideas/suggestions welcome.

3) How would you control such a thing/keep it moving? There must be some sort of limit on this ability, otherwise those trying to use it would need to keep it moving continuously. Any ideas on how to control it? Maybe it doesn't work in no-mana areas? Maybe it only operates in total darkness? Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Thank you,
Jerander.

Hmmm...you could certainly do this but I think the build would be very complicated. A simplified version might use...

* Mana Enhancer, with Area Effect, Persistent, and Dissipation, as the main power <-- each time you use it, the effect remains so that any extra effect will get be stacked (you might need Cosmic, Effects Stack, +50% but I am not sure that's required).

* This can be tweaked with Takes Extra Time and/or Extended Duration

* You can probably use Pact to handle the other effects...a -15% Pact suggests an absolute "vow" not to use the power for longer than a certain amount of time, and if you break that vow there will be significant and serious reprecussions.

I'm not sure what else to suggest. I hope this helps.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote