Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
PseudoFenton

Default Leeching multiple targets as a free action?

Leech states "you must maintain ongoing contact with your victim" and then goes on to stipulate what counts as contact both in and out of combat. However it doesn't say that leech requires an action of any sort, which would infer that its a free action so long as the conditions are met (lengthy contact).

If this is the case does this mean that if you are in contact with two or more "victims" that you can leech all of them at the same time as a free action? If it isn't a free action can you still perform some sort of rapid strike/dual attack so that you can drain multiple victims at once (without adding any enhancements to leech, this is).

Finally, if you can leech multiple victims in this way, do you gain full hp from the sum of the injury dealt, or would it be limited to just one victim at a time?

Sorry if there are answers online to cover this already, I don't really have the time to dredge the forums looking for them right now - so thanks for any answers you can find for me!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Azrael

Default Re: Leeching multiple targets as a free action?

Hmmm ... I guess if you could make multiple pins/grapples you could Leech multiple subjects. I would say you need extra attack to use leech more than once per turn. You would need enough limbs to be able to grapple/pin multiple opponents though. Or I guess it is possible to grapple more than one person using human physiology. Not sure on the exact rules there. But I can imagine someone grappling one person with their arms and another with their legs.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Azrael

Leech is listed in Powers as requiring an attack maneuver. By this logic it should definitely require extra attack to use it more than once.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Leech is listed in Powers as requiring an attack maneuver. By this logic it should definitely require extra attack to use it more than once.
From how I read it in Horror your ability works if you've grappled/pinned your target. I could be wrong but I'd read that section again just to make sure.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Azrael

I found a thread that says leech is carried by a grapple. Kromm is involved so this seems like pretty good evidence. In that case Leech is kind of like a follow-up attack.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=21008
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Azrael

I'm actually really wondering about this now. As written there seems to be nothing saying you can't leech from more than one person. It only says they must be grappled. As it is an attack-like ability I'm leaning toward requiring extra attack to use it on more than one person.

Another thing me and a friend were discussing is the fact that you can grapple with your legs. Can you leech through your legs (or any other body part for that matter).
Old 09-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
I'm actually really wondering about this now. As written there seems to be nothing saying you can't leech from more than one person. It only says they must be grappled. As it is an attack-like ability I'm leaning toward requiring extra attack to use it on more than one person.

Another thing me and a friend were discussing is the fact that you can grapple with your legs. Can you leech through your legs (or any other body part for that matter).
I'd treat Leech like Innate Attack. You can shoot your IA out of any body part but you have to pick one. The hands, the mouth whatever.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Jerander

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I'd treat Leech like Innate Attack. You can shoot your IA out of any body part but you have to pick one. The hands, the mouth whatever.
I always assumed Leech worked like Innate Attack as well, including the number of uses per round. If you want to Leech more than one target at a time, buy multiple abilities (or Rapid Fire or Area Effect or...) and Compartmentalized Mind.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Why compartmentalized mind? Leech isn't that good and it doesn't require concentration.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
LemmingLord

I'd say yes. It just says contact. You don't even have to have them grappled as long as they are defenseless or immobile. Have your ghoul minions tie your leech targets up in a strange configuration where they are roped up and have their bare feet sticking out all towards you the leecher and just sprawl out, draining all of them simultaneously... Muhahahahahaah.

Tags
area effect, aura, leech