Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
Sombreiro

Default [HELP] Custom Spell: Forge Aura

I'm building some spells that dwell in Soul School, a custom school that me and my friends are designing.

We used the Detect Aura from Psionics, and from that used Obscure(Detect Aura), so that one can hide his aura from third party detection. BUT. We are now trying to formulate a Forge Aura spell, which would not only hide your own Aura, but give a FALSE RESULT to the reader.

BG: Wizards are being hunted by the Church and some Warlocks. Both track them down using Detect Aura versions. Thus, Wizards need to create a way to hide their info from enemies. Completely hiding it is not enough, unless in a crowd of summons(we settled that summons/Constructs have no Aura).

Do you guys have any idea? I thought of using Shapeshifting(Aura only -80%), or maybe Illusion with this same modifier, but I'm not sure this is the right path.

EDIT: Well, forgot to put a name on the Thread, lol. Sorry about that

Last edited by Sombreiro; 09-06-2016 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to put a name on Thread.
Sombreiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [HELP] Custom Spell: Forge Aura

I am guessing from context this for a magical power (maybe Sorcery?)? Or is it a difference magic system?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Imion

I think that Illusion is the way to go here.

Based on Extended being +20%, -80% for Aura Only doesn't sound too wrong and a resulting cost of [5] seems appropriate, too.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
Sombreiro

I'm using this "pattern" for spells:
Can be Countered -5%
Hand Gestures -10%
Requires Speech -10%
IQ/H or IQ-6 -10%
Cast Time of -X%
Costs FP X%
Mana Sensitive -10%
Variable +5%

And we've called this "Arcane Casting", as it depends on the level of mana.
We slap lots of modifiers, and call them that. We use a scaling system, in which Magery(in CP)+Skills points(CP too)= the advantage of this same CP.
For example: Forge Aura would be Magery 0 as pre requisite, and Detect Magic, Detect Aura, Hide Aura as chain. Thus, it would be a 9 points advantage. We are thinking of nerfing this later, as this is exponential growth, maybe making it this exact formula but halved? making it a 4-5 points advantage, actually?

Still, we are, for now, using this magic system, as it is still beginning at the campaign. Mana has been restored 8 years in the past, so people are still creating spells and stuff
Sombreiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, custom spell, power