Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2006, 06:30 AM   #11
tbone

Default Re: All blades perish ...

A short addendum to the ideas so far:

The ability can be compared with immunity to normal hand weapons (or normal blades, or whatever the affected class of weapons is). In this case, the Witch-King is only *partially* immune to their effect, in that they'll hurt him normally on the first blow, with limited or no follow-up attacks possible after that (exact effects depend on the blade).

So whatever immunity to the weapon class is worth, the Witch-King's power should be worth considerably less than that. Just one check on the cost that can be made.

(Then again, I know little of 4e power building, so...)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:07 AM   #12
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone
they'll hurt him normally on the first blow, with limited or no follow-up attacks possible after that
That would be a given, considering that the blade in question won't survive the first hit :) The immunity part can then be done with DR, possibly with certain Limitations to allow for armor-ignoring magic weapons.

Or had you a Borg-like power in mind, where the Witch-King defenses had to adapt to be effective? I'd do that as an Accessibility, but I'm not sure it fits the concept very well.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:58 AM   #13
zorg
Experimental Subject

In fact, I propose this write-up:

All blades shall perish
Corrosion Attack 1d (Aura +50%; Accessibility: Only vs Inanimate Targets -50%; Reverse Blood Agent -40%; Cyclic: 9 cycles, 1 second +900%; Magical -10%; Always On -0%) [+99]

Any weapon which wounds you enough to draw blood will take 1d corrosion damage, plus 1d further damage each second fpr the next 9 seconds. This averages to 35 points of damage and 6 points destroyed DR.
A broadsword comes to roughly DR6 HP12, btw. If you think such a blade should "die" faster or with more certainty, add "Cosmic: Ignores DR", or another level (dice of damage).
Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #14
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
In fact, I propose this write-up:

All blades shall perish
Corrosion Attack 1d (Aura +50%; Accessibility: Only vs Inanimate Targets -50%; Reverse Blood Agent -40%; Cyclic: 9 cycles, 1 second +900%; Magical -10%; Always On -0%) [+99]

Any weapon which wounds you enough to draw blood will take 1d corrosion damage, plus 1d further damage each second fpr the next 9 seconds. This averages to 35 points of damage and 6 points destroyed DR.
A broadsword comes to roughly DR6 HP12, btw. If you think such a blade should "die" faster or with more certainty, add "Cosmic: Ignores DR", or another level (dice of damage).
It would be cheaper as a single 9d attack
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #15
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith
It would be cheaper as a single 9d attack
Right. Obviously the Witch-King of Angmar wasn't terribly good at point optimization :)
Old 06-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #16
Fnordianslip

How about an aura for all bullets must perish? Any ideas on how much damage your aura would have to do to fry bullets before they hit you?
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #17
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Right. Obviously the Witch-King of Angmar wasn't terribly good at point optimization :)
It also did not take several seconds to work. How long would it take a 1d corrosive attack to burn through the DR6 HP12 sword anyway? I don't know the new corrosive rules yet, not having used them.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #18
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
How about an aura for all bullets must perish? Any ideas on how much damage your aura would have to do to fry bullets before they hit you?
It would need an area to do anything, and I would probably still not let it do anything. Dammageing people and weapons for follow up stuff sure, but before it hit, why?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #19
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
Before they hit you? With Aura, no way. The damage gets dealt when the bullet touches you. You'd need Area Effect/Emanation.

More to the point: Depends on the weight of a single bullet. I have no idea... At 1/64 lbs, it would have 2 HP. Made of metal, I see a DR of 5 or 6.

An interesting alternative to DR, though.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #20
jason taylor

I'm afraid the GM has his work cut out for him. Tolkienite sociology, history, and especially linguistics tends to be plausible-given-the-circumstances-imagined. Tolkienite magic is mystical and no D & D like rules were made for it. Perhaps the best way out is for the GM to make his own rules, and have Gandalf or whatever wise loremaster, give vague hints, rather then telling the players what the rules are.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, lord of the rings