Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-26-2014, 05:40 AM   #71
Astromancer

Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Knowing who will eventually be a top star and being able to hire them earlier would be interesting. In some cases it might ruin them with too much celebrity too early. In some case detox or a prescription of antidepressants might get many years more of movies out of them.
Very true. In other cases helping a working actor into role suited for them years before someone makes the discovery could help too.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #72
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Very true. In other cases helping a working actor into role suited for them years before someone makes the discovery could help too.
There would be lots of screw ups. Home line could be responsible for too young nit wits making it big too fast losing their grounding and compassion.

*cough*Beiber*cough.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #73
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
There would be lots of screw ups. Home line could be responsible for too young nit wits making it big too fast losing their grounding and compassion.
The other issue is that quite often, you are going to fail to produce the star you expected. That is the public consensus on the greatest performance in your new movie is likely to settle on one of the other unknowns in it rather than your chosen future star.

It's hard to separate the effects of talent and social factors, but there have been some attempts at blind experiments in ranking new music and letting people talk about it with and see the buying statistics from only a subset of other participants that have been pretty interesting. What you see is that the top work in any one cell, will almost always be at least above the median in the other cells, but may not be near the top of the list. That is, if you ran the history of art repeatedly, not changing any of the works actually produced but allowing small random changes in circumstances, the result would likely be something like many of the same guys would be good enough to show up in the art history texts, and the list of the 1000 best painters from any two runs would likely have seven or eight hundred names in common, but the 5 or 10 names so famous everybody knows them would be different almost every time.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #74
Flyndaran
Untagged

History does often seem like a study of stampeding cattle in which every spot trampled appears inevitable to us after the fact. But is really far more random than we prefer to believe.

A couple of completely unpredictable events led to my life now.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #75
Astromancer

I thought of a complicated set of treasures to gather with interesting problems in the gathering. Folklore, folksongs, folktales, ect... the lore of the common folk in many different periods of history. Thoughout most of human history the vast majority of humanity and their world of the mind have been silent and forgotten. In an Infinate Worlds setting this can be changed.

However, mysterious strangers who want to know what the common folk know would seem unnatural in most periods of history. Many people from the local lordling to the local smugglers might assume that the information is either really about them or is something they should control. Even in the 21st century on out Earth oral history is the hardest and most dangerous field to research. Try collecting the lost fairy tales of England when James II is on the throne and any one talking to the people is a threat to restoration settlement. Try discovering the cunning-folk of 16th century England after the Witchcraft Act has passed. Try seaching for survivals of pagan religious ideas in 7th century Europe. Much fun may be had.

Ancora Imparo
Old 08-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #76
Flyndaran
Untagged

Throughout most of human history, xenophobia was the norm. Anyone that didn't just look like the local ethnicity by our standards but like close relatives was immediately distrusted. Those with accents more so.

Xenophobia and groupthink becomes far more pronounced in times and areas of disease and strife.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #77
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Throughout most of human history, xenophobia was the norm. Anyone that didn't just look like the local ethnicity by our standards but like close relatives was immediately distrusted. Those with accents more so.

Xenophobia and groupthink becomes far more pronounced in times and areas of disease and strife.
Which makes getting the folklore of ancient cultures all the more of a challenge. And challenging PCs is good.

Ancora Imparo
Old 08-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #78
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Which makes getting the folklore of ancient cultures all the more of a challenge. And challenging PCs is good.
A use for the trained linguist-anthropologist even in games where language fluency isn't normally cared about. Every PC is fluent, but not culturally or accent free fluent.

You commit an egregious taboo based around a myth you were trying to learn more about. Death defying comedy right there.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #79
David Johnston2

Another not-especially exotic commodity that would be distinctly different between worlds is wine.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #80
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Another not-especially exotic commodity that would be distinctly different between worlds is wine.
Drinks and foods of all kinds really. Though most would be local delicacies.

Tags
infinite worlds