Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-12-2023, 10:55 AM   #1
Tinman

Default Gauss Guns in other sizes (not just 4mm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
I would be happy to know what people would change, remove, fix, or add to make Ultra-Tech better?
A big thing for me would be either a system to build Gauss Guns in other sizes (not just 4mm) or at least a selection of "heavier" versions, like 6mm.
Sort of like 5.56mm vs 7.62mm rifles today.

I know it's supposed to mimic Traveller, but when I've tried to import the Ultra Tech gauss guns into the Cybermech Damocles setting (which I'd love to see a 4e version of) they are not effective compared to how they were in the original setting.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:06 PM   #2
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Default Re: Gauss Guns in other sizes (not just 4mm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
A big thing for me would be either a system to build Gauss Guns in other sizes (not just 4mm) or at least a selection of "heavier" versions, like 6mm.

I know it's supposed to mimic Traveller, but when I've tried to import the Ultra Tech gauss guns into the Cybermech Damocles setting (which I'd love to see a 4e version of) they are not effective compared to how they were in the original setting.
Certainly other calibers and types of gauss gun do exist, and I do think I perhaps downplayed them a bit in the 4e UT.

If you want to make some higher-caliber gauss guns up for TL10 or so, you can cheat. Just go to the Basic Set or HT weapons list and pick something TL7-8 like a 9mm Glock or whatever. Assume the gauss weapon version doubles muzzle velocity, so just double damage, 1/2D range, and Max range. It won't be quite perfect if you go from a subsonic to a supersonic weapon, as the GURPS numbers included some fudges for the tricky transonic transition, but it should e be pretty close. Stick in a C cell - for simplicity, say it is inserted separately into the weapon rather than the magazine and is good for firing 4 magazines worth before it needs removing or charging. A typical long gun bullet is about 40-50% of the weight of a full cartridge, so go with twice as many shots as the conventional gun. Or alternatively, make the magazines weigh about half as much but slap in the C cell as part of it. Extra recoil would multiply ST by 1.18 though if you want you could argue for higher TL muzzle brakes cancelling it. Recoil number could be bumped up by one, but see above; it should be at least Rcl 2. I'd then take the base cost and quadruple it. Leave other stats about the same.

Glad you like Cybermech Damocles. I periodically hint that I'd like to do that as an updated book.... ("it's UFO or X-Com or UFO with Mecha!"
Old 01-17-2023, 08:09 PM   #3
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Forgot to say: If I were doing a new book or revision at some point, I would include some higher caliber weapons. In my own campaign one of the PCs is fond of using a 10mm gauss pistol with a 20-shot mag and a variety of loadouts including explosive slugs; another prefers to use her more elegant and higher-capacity 7mm design, which has a bit better penetration and a 40-shot magazine.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:17 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Forgot to say: If I were doing a new book or revision at some point, I would include some higher caliber weapons. In my own campaign one of the PCs is fond of using a 10mm gauss pistol with a 20-shot mag and a variety of loadouts including explosive slugs; another prefers to use her more elegant and higher-capacity 7mm design, which has a bit better penetration and a 40-shot magazine.
Yeah 10mm rounds start to give us good variety in payloads. That is handy for monster or alien hunting and also things like smoke or signal grenades.
Love to see a new UT book, even small ones focused on specific subjects.
And really love to see a new SciFi setting for Fourth Edition.
IMO its a great area for GURPS to reach into as so much is focused on fantasy.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:39 PM   #5
Rupert

Quote:
I was always partial to the Gauss Pistol (and Rifle) in Space Opera. 20mm weapons, the pistol with six shots, the rifle with ten, various grade of APHE available and even the basic slugs had high penetration and very high damage.

Of course trying to replicate them in any remotely realistic way doesn't really work unless one assumes some kind of super-science recoil absorption system. Still, they were fun.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:29 AM   #6
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Love to see a new UT book, even small ones focused on specific subjects.
They've done Pulp Guns and Adventure Guns, why not a High Tech Guns with more variations and a how to make more like the double for gauss vs convential just posted.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:49 AM   #7
Rolando

I would like a Cybermech Damocles PDF like the expanded Madness Dossier one.

Also books (PDFs) on certain techs, like gauss and cyberware.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:37 AM   #8
Tinman

Thank you for advice on how to make lager gauss weapons. I'll be using it.

Quote:
Glad you like Cybermech Damocles. I periodically hint that I'd like to do that as an updated book.... ("it's UFO or X-Com or UFO with Mecha!"
I loved UFO one of my favorite shows & I can totally see the influence to CD.
All the other Gerry Anderson productions were really great, especially the Captain Scarlet series.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:39 AM   #9
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post

Also books (PDFs) on certain techs, like gauss and cyberware.
I'd be very interested in that & definitely buy both.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:15 AM   #10
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
I'd buy it. If SJGames doesn't have the time and would allow it I'd happily back a Kickstarter for it. Either a single smallish book or greatly expanded.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gauss weapons, musket