Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-20-2022, 07:11 PM   #1
mirtexxan

Default Alternate form while afflicted with alternate form

Is it possible to "escape" (I. E. return to your base form) from an afflicted alternate form using your own shape-shifting ability?

Example: a werewolf PC escaping the "shapeshift into a frog" power of an enemy hag by becoming a wolf or a human.

Does the answer depend on the power modifier? Or maybe is it a DM call taking into account the special effects of the advantages? What about wild advantages?

Bonus question: when you have multiple forms, you can shift freely from one to another, or you have to return to the "base form" each time?

Thanks

Last edited by mirtexxan; 12-20-2022 at 08:03 PM.
mirtexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 01:08 AM   #2
Curmudgeon

Default Re: Alternate form while afflicted with alternate form

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtexxan View Post
Is it possible to "escape" (I. E. return to your base form) from an afflicted alternate form using your own shape-shifting ability?

Example: a werewolf PC escaping the "shapeshift into a frog" power of an enemy hag by becoming a wolf or a human.

Does the answer depend on the power modifier? Or maybe is it a DM call taking into account the special effects of the advantages? What about wild advantages?

Bonus question: when you have multiple forms, you can shift freely from one to another, or you have to return to the "base form" each time?

Thanks
According to the Advantage Shape-Shifting (Basic p. 83), no. A variety of things, including affliction carry over to your alternate form. So, for example, if you are a traditional werewolf and changed from a human to a wolf during the full moon and suffered an affliction while human that turned you into a frog, during the full moon, you would, at best, change from being a human who was turned into a frog to a wolf who has been changed into a frog.

For Shape-Shifting, the wording that you can shift between forms implies that you can switch from one form to another without having to return intermediately to your base form.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 02:26 AM   #3
dcarson

In a campaign with the right tone I'd have them be a frog that has fur and fangs. A frogwolf.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 03:28 AM   #4
mirtexxan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
According to the Advantage Shape-Shifting (Basic p. 83), no. A variety of things, including affliction carry over to your alternate form. So, for example, if you are a traditional werewolf and changed from a human to a wolf during the full moon and suffered an affliction while human that turned you into a frog, during the full moon, you would, at best, change from being a human who was turned into a frog to a wolf who has been changed into a frog.

For Shape-Shifting, the wording that you can shift between forms implies that you can switch from one form to another without having to return intermediately to your base form.
OK, it feels right and consistent with the Raw. Thank you very much.

Go frogwolf go! :)
mirtexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:22 PM   #5
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
In a campaign with the right tone I'd have them be a frog that has fur and fangs. A frogwolf.
Under Channeling they note that you should use alternate form for characters who channel spirits to gain advantages or super powers or a bunch of skills, etc. This implies that alternate form doesn't have to be swapping racial templates and could be swapping some other type of template like "channeled spirit" templates or maybe "supernatural curse" templates (ala, a character who, for some reason, has the ability toggle between being either a vampire or a werewolf, but not both at the same time.)

All of that is to say that the "Werewolf" alternate form doesn't have to be the same "type" of racial template that's being swapped as the frog/human, in which case you'd keep the werewolf traits but add them to the frog and end up with a frogwolf. Works best if the werewolf form is heavy on the wolfman vibes and low on the actual quadruped wolf vibes.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:25 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

In my games the result is you can't change back to your base form while affected by the non-native alternate form. So if you're a werewolf you can go to wolf form, but not human form since that would actually be frog form.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote