Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2022, 08:54 AM   #41
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Nightmare Fuel: Snakes, Bugs (well, arthropods mostly), and Evil Plants for the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The update from earlier today includes a mockup of the Garden of Evil cover art, but it's incomplete and pretty small. You could probably just link that page.
I also got some WIP from my collaborator Teresa Guido and a new artist from Colombia, Jonathan Vera. Juan Ochoa is making fun noises about wanting to get all of my work done immediately because exchange rates for the Colombian Peso right now are high enough that he's effectively getting a 35% raise just by getting paid in dollars. So Real Soon Now, I should have a lot to show.

Quote:
The project is so close to funding at this point - $431 away. I know projects on Kickstarter often get a rush of pledges once over the tipping point, so hopefully that will happen here as well.
Note that this project is being run on Backerkit Crowdfunding, not Kickstarter. I was invited to try out their Crowdfunding Beta, and I was hoping to find a better and more integrated platform than Kickstarter, since I always finish up on Backerkit anyway.

Some of the things I have been able to do - like lower my funding goal after launch - is a side-effect of the Beta nature of the project. It's also a bit of a communications experiment.

But please don't wait to be notified about the last 48-hours on Kickstarter...because you'll never see it. It's not there.

Edited to add:

Also, one could do worse than to comment here on r/gurps. There are over 10,000 folks following that group, and obviously the vast majority do not buy my stuff. They should, of course. :-)

But my shilling for my own stuff only goes so far. If you've purchased and been pleased with Gaming Ballistic's material in the past, a kind word, link to a review or blog post in a relevant place, etc go a hugely long way.

And though I kinda-sorta got banned from r/rpg for a self-promo post, this post by woefulHC has been allowed to stand, and of course there are over a million people looking at that group.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 10-21-2022 at 09:03 AM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:12 AM   #42
Varyon

Default Re: Nightmare Fuel: Snakes, Bugs (well, arthropods mostly), and Evil Plants for the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Note that this project is being run on Backerkit Crowdfunding, not Kickstarter. I was invited to try out their Crowdfunding Beta, and I was hoping to find a better and more integrated platform than Kickstarter, since I always finish up on Backerkit anyway.

Some of the things I have been able to do - like lower my funding goal after launch - is a side-effect of the Beta nature of the project. It's also a bit of a communications experiment.

But please don't wait to be notified about the last 48-hours on Kickstarter...because you'll never see it. It's not there.
Good to keep in mind. For clarity, when I said "... so hopefully that will happen here as well," what I meant was "... so hopefully that will happen on this platform as well." Imprecise language, ahoy! I did initially think Backerkit was part of Kickstarter (having only ever pledged to Gaming Ballistics products), and was confused when my Kickstarter login didn't work, but I've realized my mistake since then.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #43
Armin
GCA Prime

I have clicked a button to include Shields Up! in my pledge, and my pledge amount was magically increased.

These monster books seem like a no-brainer. I don't understand why they're not slamming the pledge-meter.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:02 AM   #44
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I have clicked a button to include Shields Up! in my pledge, and my pledge amount was magically increased.
This is a handy feature. I've pushed them to include the ACTUAL BOOKS in some sort of shopping card, Pledge Manager style, but that integration seems a ways off. I don't like that much - it leaves some functionality on the table - but the auto-increase is a half-step, since "how much do I make my pledge" is no small source of direct messages.

Quote:
These monster books seem like a no-brainer. I don't understand why they're not slamming the pledge-meter.
If I could predict what folks would find interesting, I'd be a lot happier.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:27 AM   #45
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
This is a handy feature. I've pushed them to include the ACTUAL BOOKS in some sort of shopping card, Pledge Manager style, but that integration seems a ways off. I don't like that much - it leaves some functionality on the table - but the auto-increase is a half-step, since "how much do I make my pledge" is no small source of direct messages.
I was almost one of those people asking how to increase, because my first try was 'edit pledge' but that didn't bring up the add-ons like I thought it would. Then I remembered that I'd seen your buttons, so scrolled down to find and use one of those.

The increase to my pledge was just listed as "additional support", so I agree, something that works and looks more like a shopping cart would be great. And since that's what Backerkit is already known for, why isn't it already like that in this crowdfunding stage?
Old 10-21-2022, 10:35 AM   #46
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I was almost one of those people asking how to increase, because my first try was 'edit pledge' but that didn't bring up the add-ons like I thought it would. Then I remembered that I'd seen your buttons, so scrolled down to find and use one of those.

The increase to my pledge was just listed as "additional support", so I agree, something that works and looks more like a shopping cart would be great. And since that's what Backerkit is already known for, why isn't it already like that in this crowdfunding stage?
I have my own lengthy gripe about where they're targeting their initial go-to-market product, which I won't bore you with. But I feel they are aiming squarely at where Kickstarter used to be to start, and then will build from there.

I would not have approached it this way, but that's what they're doing. I mostly was hoping that the back-end would be cleaner (and indeed, there are some subtle but valuable bits, like the navigation links and the add-on plus-up buttons), and that if KS's flirtations with blockchain resulted in disaster and an undesirable customer/creator experience, I wasn't playing catchup, but was prepared in advance.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:51 PM   #47
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Also, one could do worse than to comment here on r/gurps.
Looking around r/gurps for questions to answer - these bestiaries aren't especially Nordlond-flavoured, are they?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:01 PM   #48
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Looking around r/gurps for questions to answer - these bestiaries aren't especially Nordlond-flavoured, are they?
The fluff text is Nordlond flavored because the setting is Nordlond-flavored. I find that the context of the critter is important. Plus one must pay at least lip service to "if SJGames wants to do another ant-creature, notionally setting GB's version in Nordlond allows a wink and a nod to coexistence."

However, it's trivially easy to extract the creatures themselves. A giant scorpion is a giant scorpion whether you say "a wizard did it," "natural mana fields did it," or "Loki did it."

So they're not especially Nordlond-flavored, but then again, Nordlond is very deliberately "Disney Vikings," and was built with the DFRPG portability and generic framework in mind.

In short: you'll have no problems moving almost all of these creatures from one game to another, and many of these will have the same "by any other name" that the main Nordlond Bestiary has.

Hmmm, you say. Isn't that Audrey Too from Little Shop of Horrors? No. Couldn't be. (But it's a mean green creature from outer space, and it's bad!)

Hmmm...isn't that an ent? NO! That would be...inappropriate. It's a Tree-herder! Oh, really? Yes! Totally legally distinct!

OK, but that's... yeah, Mee Go there too.

Doesn't that art bear a striking resemblance to a half-scorpion, half pro wrestler with the people's eyebrow from The Mummy Returns? Surely not.

You get me.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:31 PM   #49
johndallman
Night Watchman

Thanks, question answered.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:32 PM   #50
Varyon

Quote:
Doesn't that art bear a striking resemblance to a half-scorpion, half pro wrestler with the people's eyebrow from The Mummy Returns? Surely not.
That particular monster should probably have Professional Skill (Chef), or at least a decent level of Housekeeping, and at certain times of day be at a bonus to detect for characters with Discriminatory Smell - they can smell what it's cooking.

Tags
bestiary, crowd funding