Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Nightmare Fuel: Snakes, Bugs (well, arthropods mostly), and Evil Plants for the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
25% of the way!
Now about 1/3, which isn't bad for a new platform and 3.5 hours of elapsed time.

Depending on what happens during the "coming home from work" rush tonight, we may be tantalizingly close to funding.

We're already running VERY hot to my original estimates, which were in tune of $52 per pledge (actual is over $91).

THAT means that rather than needing something like 550 backers to merely fund (and the Nordlond Bestiary got 685, but sequels don't always outperform the original, as we know), we're looking at 650 to hit the "physical backers get a free hardcover omnibus" stretch goal and about 325 needed to merely fund.

This puts us in a reasonably friendly place for a big project on the first day.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 02:11 PM   #12
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Nightmare Fuel: Snakes, Bugs (well, arthropods mostly), and Evil Plants for the D

I really hope it does well. I backed for print books. I wish I could have backed for more, but inflation is kicking my budget while it's down.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:39 PM   #13
JulianLW

Doug, a couple of years ago, I was a bit disappointed with the price of Delver's to Grow, but by the end of the Kickstarter campaign, you had ended up making the DtG Omnibus, which was very affordable - and I was able to get that. I was in a position this time to go in all the way - getting a second boxed set too! Your mention of an omnibus made me just want to say thanks for thinking about all the poor gamers of the world (and the poor artists, too)! I hope you can continue to find ways to bring GURPS to the masses! Thanks!
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 04:17 PM   #14
Varyon

I've pledged, and it's over 40% now. On the topic of AI art, I feel it will be quite some time before it's really on the level of a bespoke artist... but the closer it gets, the harder it may become for such artists to make a living making art. As if that weren't already difficult enough. People who want art for the sake of art may still be willing to pay a premium for a flesh-and-blood artist, but in cases like this, where it's art in support of a product, I'd imagine AI will wind up doing a lot of it (not because the makers of such products are soulless money-grubbing monsters, but rather because the audience they are selling to are unlikely to be willing to pay more for high-quality art that could have been produced for pennies).
Old 10-13-2022, 11:22 PM   #15
dcarson

Backed at the PDF level since I want everything on my laptop for portability.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 05:55 AM   #16
Farmer

The everything in PDF/VTT for me - very good, really looking forward to it!
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 06:14 AM   #17
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Update 2: More than 50% of the non-trivial goal in the first day.

An excellent start.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 10-14-2022 at 06:18 AM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:04 PM   #18
johndallman
Night Watchman

60%. We're in the slow patch now, I think.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 03:49 AM   #19
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I've pledged, and it's over 40% now. On the topic of AI art, I feel it will be quite some time before it's really on the level of a bespoke artist... but the closer it gets, the harder it may become for such artists to make a living making art. As if that weren't already difficult enough. People who want art for the sake of art may still be willing to pay a premium for a flesh-and-blood artist, but in cases like this, where it's art in support of a product, I'd imagine AI will wind up doing a lot of it (not because the makers of such products are soulless money-grubbing monsters, but rather because the audience they are selling to are unlikely to be willing to pay more for high-quality art that could have been produced for pennies).
I don't think AI art will really be ready for the prime-time until you can get it to cough up a spaceship or monster to specification, and then be able to put that same spaceship or monster into another scene without mutating it. So you can get a Harpy flying in picture #1 and say "I want the Harpy from #1, but perched on a rocky outcrop" and get a harpy that's recognisably the one from the first picture, but perched instead of flying. Until then, you're putting in specs and hoping you get something useful out the far end.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 04:00 AM   #20
johndallman
Night Watchman

And it gets publicised in the latest issue of Monster of the Week, Shaenon K Garity's X-Files comic strip.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, crowd funding