Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
Anders

Default Brainstorming: Incorporate Dark Matter in a campaign

So I learned on Twitter that they've found a galaxy made up almost entirely of dark matter. That made me think about dark matter and how to incorporate it into a gaming world. Presumably IN SPACE, although I could easily see it in a horror campaign as well.

So what would you do with Dark Matter in a campaign setting? I'm thinking of having it as a kind of "dimensional shadow" of a parallel universe. We can see the gravity here, but no other forms of radiation. And somewhere there is a portal... and something wants to open it.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Brainstorming: Incorporate Dark Matter in a campaign

Realistic dark matter seems to be almost totally uninteresting (it's basically a diffuse cloud of stuff that doesn't interact with much, including itself) except as it indicates we're missing something in our physics (it can't be made up of any of the particles in the standard model).

Cinematic dark matter could include stuff like alternate universes that only interact through gravity.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Dark Matter not interacting with itself, outside of gravity, just means multiple shadow universes. ;)

And I'm suddenly reminded of The Large Hadron Rap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM
Old 08-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
Dalillama

The Schlock Mercenary comic features dark matter entities that want to destroy our kind of life because we won't stop travelling in hyperspace.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
So I learned on Twitter that they've found a galaxy made up almost entirely of dark matter. That made me think about dark matter and how to incorporate it into a gaming world. Presumably IN SPACE, although I could easily see it in a horror campaign as well.

So what would you do with Dark Matter in a campaign setting? I'm thinking of having it as a kind of "dimensional shadow" of a parallel universe. We can see the gravity here, but no other forms of radiation. And somewhere there is a portal... and something wants to open it.
I use it as a buzzword to justify pseudo-reactionless drive.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:31 AM   #6
mukibear
Banned

the Xeelee books by Stephen Baxter have the 'photino birds' as ultimate bad guys

Quote:
Photino birds are a super-symmetric species of dark matter entities that inhabit the gravity wells of stars, with multi-billion year life span and the ability to travel faster than the speed of light. It is theorized that they began their civilization shortly after the birth of the universe and the beginning of stellar evolution. Being dependent upon stars for their breeding grounds, when the first stars of the universe began showing instabilities such as supernovae, they set out to correct these instabilities by accelerating stellar evolution throughout the universe. The end result would be a stable universe dotted with white dwarfs. This makes life impossible for most planet-bound life forms.
mukibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #7
Lord Azagthoth

This tread just gave me an idea to use in my own campaign.

In Star Wars it is never justified why spaceships fly as if there is an atmosphere. The galaxy looks the same after 30.000 years. Hyperspace travel is only possible within the boundaries of its own galaxy. The Force...

Maybe its al related to a high concentration of Dark Matter.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #8
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Realistic dark matter seems to be almost totally uninteresting (it's basically a diffuse cloud of stuff that doesn't interact with much, including itself).
Can you even say that much? After all on the scale we can see it's effects we model stars as more or less a diffuse cloud, and yet matter does some interesting stuff at smaller scales.

What you can say about dark matter is quite limited - it produces a lot of gravitational attraction, it's apparent mass is distributed differently than the stars, and anything else it does is currently invisible to us. Anything beyond that is guesswork.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #9
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
Hyperspace travel is only possible within the boundaries of its own galaxy.
Not entirely true, given that there is some hyperspace travel to the satellite galaxies (such as the Rishi Maze, the small spiral satellite galaxy seen at the end of Empire and mentioned in Clones). But you're right that there's no real linking with other large nearby galaxies....

I wonder... can we use Dark Matter to explain why a black hole cluster in the Outer Rim (the Maw, which the Kessel Run runs around) doesn't collapse in on itself?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #10
Johan Larson

Dark matter only interacts with regular matter through gravity, right?

So, in a sci-fi setting with system-wide space travel, authorities detect a gravitational anomaly. A dark matter cluster of planetary size is moving through the system and is on track to pass close enough to an inhabited planet to affect its orbit and hence its climate.

World leaders launch an crash program to create a gravitational deflector. The plan is to move a very large asteroid close enough to the dark-matter cluster enough to bend its path away from the inhabited world.
Johan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign ideas, physics