Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2023, 10:26 AM   #1
Donny Brook

Default [Basic/Powers]Shadow Form detectability

I didn't see any reference to the detectibility/perceptibility of characters in Shadow Form[B83].

I think the character would be easier to see in full light and less so in darkness. If they choose to deliberately use existing shadows to hide it would provide a bonus to Stealth.

So, I propose two scales both based on environmental darkness modifier:

Using Stealth, 0 modifier at 0 darkness penalty, then improving by one at each level.

Unstealthy detectability, +1 to be detected at 0 to -1 darkness penalty, then improving by -2 for each stage of further darkness penalty until the modifier reaches -10.

Thoughts?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:30 AM   #2
SID

Default Re: [Basic/Powers]Shadow Form detectability

I believe shadow-form doesn’t impose PER penalties in the same way you don’t suffer PER penalties to spot characters with the “body of air” meta trait (even if air is transparent).

I think that enforcing PER penalties against others, requires the full version or a variant form of invisibility or obscure (sense).

A direct penalty to vision would be unfair because the advantage doesn’t feature limiting other’s perception. But with a circumstantial bonus to skill, there is room to make a contest between the characters.

I'd think of granting the character with shadow-form a bonus to camouflage (because it’s directly related to vision), regardless of having the skill or not.

And the bonus would be limited to +2, which is what you get from buying a high-quality hunting shirt. The penalties from environmental factors would be handled separately.