Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2023, 10:13 AM   #1
CatMan33

Default How to make something easier to knock over

Was looking through and I couldn't seem to find anything that let me make something easier to knock over. For context the character i'm trying to build is very unbalanced and top heavy, so i'm trying to find a way to translate that. Is there a disadvantage i've missed or something?
CatMan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:47 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: How to make something easier to knock over

I don't think there are any traits that do this, currently. Perfect Balance is sort of the opposite, so let's take a look at that. First, it has a mini-Talent built in, giving a +1 to each of three skills, which would be worth either [5] (6 or fewer skills) or [3] (using the alternative pricing from Power Ups 3: Talents). What's left is a +6 to avoid falling on slippery/uneven/etc terrain, or a +4 to avoid falling in combat (due to being sweeped, knocked back a yard or more, etc). Your character would have issues with both of those, so let's just say it's an overall +5 to both. Paying [10] for +5 means [2] per +1; paying [12] for +5 means [2.4] per +1. It's common, but not guaranteed, for Disadvantages to have a lower absolute value than the opposite Advantage, simply to account for the fact that a player who takes an Advantage is likely to go out of their way to benefit from it, while a player who takes a Disadvantage is likely to go out of their way to avoid the penalties associated with it.

So, you can justify a [-1] per -1 to such checks (which was my initial inclination before doing the analysis), or [-2] per -1 to such checks; the choice of which price to go with would be up to the GM.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:55 AM   #3
Donny Brook

Hm. Interesting challenge.

Ideas that come to mind include some combination of:

-Skinny with modifiers;
-Vulnerability to knockback; and
-Reduced DX specific to certain situations.

Last edited by Donny Brook; 01-19-2023 at 10:59 AM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:37 AM   #4
JulianLW

I would call this Unbalanced (Susceptible to Knockback/Knockdown), -2/level, with each level giving -1 to DX to avoid falling over or resist knockback or knockdown.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:13 PM   #5
dcarson

I'd also be tempted to throw in a -1 for Acrobatics and maybe the -1 Climbing that Perfect balance give a +1 on since top heavy I think would make those harder.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote