Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-31-2022, 09:18 AM   #41
Siciliani

Default Re: Request for Feedback on Warhammer 40,000 Handbook

Fennefell, your work is amazing. But I'm sad that there is no continuation... Do you think about coming back with this project?
Siciliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:28 AM   #42
Fennefell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliani View Post
Fennefell, your work is amazing. But I'm sad that there is no continuation... Do you think about coming back with this project?

I do, I just got so busy. When I started this, I was an unemployed college student. I'm now an expat with a full time job.

It's nice to know people still pay attention and want stuff on this though. I'll look at putting out an update when I can.

Is there any particular part you're interested in being fleshed out?
Fennefell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:48 AM   #43
3darkman

wow! It's great to know that you're still working. I would love to see something in a Rogue Trader vibe.

and i agree with siciliani, the work on the adaptation so far is wonderful.
3darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:55 AM   #44
Siciliani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennefell View Post

Is there any particular part you're interested in being fleshed out?

Yeah! Mechanicus and Rogue Traders! In Fact, the rest of the Imperium factions hehehe
Siciliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 01:19 PM   #45
Fennefell

Added bestiary. Only contains entries for Criminal Scum at this point, with skeleton laid out for Heretics section, and partially laid out for Xenos section. Will work on adding content when I can.

Bestiary content will be relatively ad-hoc, and will only include relevant stats, not detailed tables. Goal here is to provide GMs with a resource for how to run various enemies, as well as some insight into what I think races should look like. I MAY do a racial template for each of the Xenos races; I'll see if I think that's easier.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Xr..._7xYIQq-e/view

Remaining work:

Inquisitor section, 2-4 pages.
Officio Assassinotorum section, 3-6 pages.
Adepta Sororitas section, 2-4 pages.
Rogue Trader section, 2-4 pages.
Bestiary, 5-10 pages. <- In Progress.

Potential sections (if I have time):

Astartes vehicles, 3-4 pages.
Astra Militarum regiments, 2 pages.

As usual, thanks for the feedback. I'll try to post more updates when I can. Just super busy these days.

Last edited by Fennefell; 12-27-2022 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:47 PM   #46
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennefell View Post
Added bestiary. Only contains entries for Criminal Scum at this point, with skeleton laid out for Heretics section, and partially laid out for Xenos section. Will work on adding content when I can.
You might want to look at the free fan bestiaries listed on the GURPwiki and see what out of those you can use. There is also a conversion of Classic: Aliens for a little more spice.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 04:30 PM   #47
Fennefell

Added bestiary section on Cults of Chaos, containing a generic cultist and one example from each God of what a cultist might look like. Keep in mind that many of the templates from the Renegades section will also be appropriate.

I'm thinking I'll put a bit at the end of the Heretics section to give GMs lenses for renegades if they are worshipping a specific god.

Accidently forgot to put Artificer Machine Spirit in Astartes Armor Modification section, leading to some confusion about how the Cogitator upgrades worked. Whoops. Cleared that up :)

Remaining work:

Mechanicus section, 4-6 pages.

Things to transcribe:

GM guidance on creating patterns and quality weapons. Should help GMs put together interesting weapons quicker.

As usual, thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
You might want to look at the free fan bestiaries listed on the GURPwiki and see what out of those you can use. There is also a conversion of Classic: Aliens for a little more spice.
Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, will not be helpful; I can't steal other people's work, as it's just too far away from my own (and very far away from 40k). I also noticed there was a person on the gurps reddit who was putting together some 40k templates, but he's also just way too far from me in the directions we went. It's honestly easier for me to put together my own templates that I understand than to scrape other people's work together into something useful.

Old 11-26-2022, 04:55 PM   #48
Fennefell

Added renegade Guardsmen to the bestiary. Started work on the Astartes, but only got through the scout. The rest of the astartes are going to be fun...

Remaining work:

Mechanicus section, 4-6 pages.

Things to transcribe:

GM guidance on creating patterns and quality weapons. Should help GMs put together interesting weapons quicker.

As usual, thanks for the feedback.

Old 11-28-2022, 02:17 PM   #49
Maz

Awesome work.

Looking forward to some tyranid bugs at some point. I have had trouble balancing them to work both against guard-level people and astartes.

I found the best way was to give them high armour divisor on everything, including natural claws and teeth and then let them go for "weak spots" in powerarmour.

So really looking forward to how you are going to solve that :)
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:58 PM   #50
Fennefell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Awesome work.

Looking forward to some tyranid bugs at some point. I have had trouble balancing them to work both against guard-level people and astartes.

I found the best way was to give them high armour divisor on everything, including natural claws and teeth and then let them go for "weak spots" in powerarmour.

So really looking forward to how you are going to solve that :)
It's a good point. The way I've run small tyranids in the past is actually similar. My plan for small tyranids is a combination of armor divisor and corosive damage, even in melee. This would allow tyranids to pose a threat to most things, but most tyranids won't be able to get through Astartes armor, at least at first, but will be able to slowly weaken the armor over time and eventually get through. Exceptions made for very specific ones like genestealer (though a personal pet peeve of mine is genestealers cleaving through terminator armor, they'll be a bit weaker than that).

Large tyranids, I can get more creative with giving them very tanky armor, huge amount of melee damage, and various levels of bug-related abilities. At the very least, I've got acid suiciders, napalm spitters, camouflage and tunnelers, dropping fliers, venom, sonic attacks, ink attacks, worrying, concussive stuff like pistol shrimps, distributed bodies that need multiple pieces blown off to shut them down, and a few more ideas. I'll have to see which ones I can implement properly.

I do have to do a bit of research, tyranid armies are one of the few armies I have never had any exposure to, so I'm flaky on a lot of their units. My goal for each xeno is to implement ~20 units to provide some good variety. I also have to implement something for their psychic gestalt and lack of individual intelligence...

I've also always found weird about tyranids in tabletop is their propensity to carry guns, which seemed kinda bizzare looking to me, especially when compared to something like the Zerg which are pretty much entirely biological, so I might try to provide alternatives to that; removing all the guns might be a bit too out of lore.