Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2020, 03:48 AM   #1
coronatiger

Default Campaign Log: Confessions of a Forked Tongue

Greetings, forumites! Some of you may be following the story of Mattea Vishi in the Chaotic Pioneering campaign and noticed that while sometimes there's a new log entry each week, other times there can be a long time between sessions. While it's to be expected that as adults, we have other obligations that occasionally take priority over gaming, I would like to get my regular fixes of role playing. The solution was to gather another group to play with, which worked well. This other group is now on its second campaign. At first, I was the only overlapping member of both groups, but for the new campaign, two members of the Chaotic Pioneering group joined up.

As in my other log, I will be writing this one from my character's point of view. We've played ten sessions already, trekking into the wilderness to perform a magical experiment. The journey went reasonably well, but when we returned, different motives, opinions and allegiances surfaced, causing much turmoil among the characters. I won't go into too much detail at this time, but some of it may come up in the logs. The characters tried to come to an agreement, and made some headway, but at one point I realized that what the others were planning to do, my character had absolutely no desire to be part of. So I took the GM aside and told him I wanted to retire the character.

The week between the tenth and eleventh session, I spent creating a new character, someone who would get along with the others better than my old character. A flurry of emails and text messages was exchanged with the GM, and we came up with a very interesting character concept, so interesting in fact (at least in my opinion), that I decided to log her experiences here on the forum.

We kept the new character secret from the other players, and I played my old character in the eleventh session, dropping hints along the way that he wouldn't be joining them on their next expedition. The GM role played my new character during the first interactions with the other players, guided by my detailed character description and a torrent of secret messages. When the other players at last figured it all out, we switched, delegating my old character to NPC status.

Warning: All members of our group are adults, and our game features topics that some readers may find inappropriate or disturbing, like sex, religious fanaticism and slavery. I will use the literary technique called "fading to black" where necessary. Please be respectful in your comments. Explicit descriptions of sex/nudity are not allowed on this forum, and will be deleted.

This is a TL3-ish fantasy campaign, set in a homebrew world. I'll be writing from the point of view of a person living in that world, but I'll try to explain things in the log if I can find a natural way to do it. Feel free to ask questions if there's anything you don't understand, references you don't get, etc. I'll answer as best I can, or maybe I can entice the GM to elaborate. You shouldn't expect to receive secret information that my character doesn't have access to.

If you want to see the story from another angle, check out Xipil's version here: Campaign log: Report to Great Priest Ixanama

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue

Last edited by coronatiger; 06-13-2020 at 11:09 AM.
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign log