Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Does Fit add to Bleeding rolls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Because he was thinking in terms of "slowing down the rate at which drowning knocks out and then kills you". Which it doesn't do apart from increasing the HT save versus death.
Very Fit means that you lose 1 FP every 2 seconds instead of every second (or every 10 seconds instead of 5 if drowning from a failed Swimming roll) after you run out of time. Either level means that you recover twice as fast once you do get air (1 FP/5 minutes of clean air); which also means you regain consciousness twice as soon. If you went without air for more than two minutes either level gives its bonus to the HT roll to avoid brain damage.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #32
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It doesn't appear to be, Henry started this before 4e was even released, based on the iconic characters or Lite or something.
While the meme is perennial, it doesn't seem to occupy a given carrier for very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I was just pointing out why Fit is not underpriced, since there's so much stuff HT gives that isn't included in fit.
That's fine, it's the attempt by other posters to to misuse your arithmetic for evil that's misguided. Perhaps "pointless exercise" was a bit subtle, but the opportunity for an exactly homonymous double pun doesn't come along every day.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #33
David Johnston2

Quote:
Very Fit means that you lose 1 FP every 2 seconds i
I'm aware. But he wasn't talking about Very Fit.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #34
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I'm aware. But he wasn't talking about Very Fit.
Fit still means you recover twice as fast, regain consciousness twice as fast, and are significantly less likely to suffer brain damage from hypoxia.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #35
David Johnston2

Quote:
Fit still means you recover twice as fast, regain consciousness twice as fast, and are significantly less likely to suffer brain damage from hypoxia.
But you will lose consciousness every bit as fast. All that stuff comes after the actual drowning. And if there are mechanics for drowning induced brain damage, I've missed them. (Just of course as I've missed the rules for cumulative brain damage from repeated blows to the head.)
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #36
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
And if there are mechanics for drowning induced brain damage, I've missed them.
It's the last paragraph in under Suffocation.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #37
Dammann

Yeah, I wasn't talking about Very Fit, although it provides interesting points of comparison to Fit.

If Fit affects recovery time from being deprived of oxygen, but not the rate at which FP are lost, it seems less impressive than I have seen it represented here in the forum. I have come to think of Fit as an unusual degree of cardiovascular health. Maybe my perception is muddled, and I am thinking of Very Fit. I sort of regard Very Fit as the cardiovascular condition of top athletes. It must be a more common advantage than I thought.

Are my perceptions of the uncommon nature of a 15 point advantage simply skewed?
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #38
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
Yeah, I wasn't talking about Very Fit, although it provides interesting points of comparison to Fit.

If Fit affects recovery time from being deprived of oxygen, but not the rate at which FP are lost, it seems less impressive than I have seen it represented here in the forum. I have come to think of Fit as an unusual degree of cardiovascular health. Maybe my perception is muddled, and I am thinking of Very Fit. I sort of regard Very Fit as the cardiovascular condition of top athletes. It must be a more common advantage than I thought.

Are my perceptions of the uncommon nature of a 15 point advantage simply skewed?
Actully 15 point advisement are very common, manly like Combat Refexes are priced that low so that they can be baught commonly

Very Fit is appropriate for anyone who make a point of "staying in form" not just top athletes but any athlete or even just health 'nuts' fit is for you physical laborer or once a week at the gym types
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #39
Dammann

It seems like most outdoorsy adventurer types ought to be taking Very Fit, then.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #40
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

FWIW, I give pretty much all career combat soldiers Fit in my games (and I give most special operators Very Fit and Combat Reflexes). This reflects the effects of marching around all the time with heavy loads, not sleeping much, and so on. If you don't wash out – which is antithetical to "career" – then you're Fit. I give most amateur athletes Fit, too, and anybody better than amateur Very Fit. This treatment makes these types of characters tougher survivors without automatically making them all sexy singers with excellent drinking skills.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, health