Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2022, 09:30 PM   #1
scc

Default Skill Lists And Limits For Teenage Characters

Hi, all. One old campaign idea that has for some reason recently crawled it's way back to the forefront of my mind is the fan-setting for Mekton Zeta called Virtual Mekton, the one line pitch being what if Yu-Gi-Oh but with VR arcade Mechs/armored combat instead of Magic the Gathering. Throw in some mysteries (like this can't be making money with what's given away in tournaments, right?) and I think that you've got something at least decent.

Now I'll clearly be running this with GURPS, and not the buggy mess that Interlock was. Given that my PC's will teenagers playing a video game, they'll be using game versions of skills like Piloting and Gunner. Now in general I'm thinking that skills should be limited a one or two point spend and that many skills groups, like combat, will be off limits, because these are supposed school children. Now this is key: Does anyone think this is unfair or unworkable or something like that?

For actual Mecha design, I'll be using Mekton Zeta, it falls nicely between Spaceships and Mecha in terms of details and time to design, which is important for a game where the players get to design their own (And where I'll have to design a lot for them to fight).

Now it's not hard to figure out how combat works, both systems are pretty similar at the gross level and just more or less using normal human scale rules with Spaceships maneuvers should work, turn length uses the Mekton 10-second without any problems, but needing to use Mekton's 50 meter hexes poses a slight problem: How do I calculate modifiers? Range is simple, multiply hexes by 50, speed into speed/range, but I also need to work out how speed should be factored into that, do I divide by 10? And what's the aim bonus each attack gets? Is there any guidance I've missed for figuring these things out?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:56 PM   #2
Kaslak

Default Re: Skill Lists And Limits For Teenage Characters

I think I can contribute only a little to the first part.
In the answer I am assuming a sort of serious commitment from the characters, as if it was a recognized combat sport, just for illustrative purposes.

If you want to limit character progression around a developement story(perhaps balance time spent on basic education with the combat game training) with no hard boundaries, you might ban "stress based learning", (get points per session and spend them) and use training rules. There are good options (incl. Training workshop sessions) , and an hybrid system to reward points per session to boost training speed in social engineering: back to school. This would move the development of the characters away from session to session scale into the downtime scale (weeks, months, semesters).

Also finding good quality instructors and the money to pay them could create interesting noncombat quests, and the need to balance out the characters related to real life skill needs may be a soft push for players not to focus too much on the sport. Maybe some characters are opposedd by the parents and need to use real life skills to get out from home to train, or may need to work part time because they are struggling. Maybe, as you mentioned, solving mysteries with other life skills might be the only way to prevent a cheating opponent to win automatically.

On the other hand, if your target is to put the campaign spotlight only on the combat game itself, I might expect that characters will want some options to advance on that field only, and any deeper character definition would be a nuisance. The mecha customization options (with point costs) may absorb that need. I have read sometime ago on the forums, to make things interesting, you might create dedicated techniques for different actions based on driving, to favor distributing points on different things and have specialized pilots...

Last edited by Kaslak; 11-24-2022 at 11:59 PM.
Kaslak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 12:28 AM   #3
Gef

>Now in general I'm thinking that skills should be limited a one or two point spend

A point can represent time spent, but could it also represent talent?

A lot of teenagers discover their future career in the things they spend time on. I've heard musicians talk about getting garage-sale guitars as kids, artists getting the bug early as well, high school athletes being heavily recruited by colleges, and in my case, a Radio Shack electronics project kit made more difference to my career than anything learned in school. And I also know some polymaths who might reasonably have a variety of academic skills at 12, based on high IQ or Talent, in their teen incarnations.

>and that many skills groups, like combat, will be off limits,

Combat Sport at least, for all those Tae Kwon Do tournements. The dojo I was in before I got too old and broken had kid classes for katana and open hand that would've included Acrobatics, Judo, Karate, and Two-Handed Sword. It aspired to teach actual self-defense not art/sport, and some of those kids were amazing by the time they got to be teens. Also, while my dad didn't teach me to shoot or take me on hunting trips, not his things, I would estimate that among my peers in suburban Oklahoma, such things were the norm, and I was in JROTC aspiring to be an aeronautics engineer, but many of my fellow cadets wanted infantry and were already preparing, and that was before paintball. Not too uncommon for a dad to teach his teenage daughter how to use a knife for rape defense.

>I also need to work out how speed should be factored into that,

Not familiar with your system, but...

For 10s turns, you should use full Acc bonus before subtracting range/speed, and for that plus 50m hexes (55yd), the formula is MV×10÷55=MBV×.18. I'd actually simplify that to MV/5. So MV 30, which is 60mph, reasonable for vehicles, becomes 6 hexes.

Last edited by Gef; 11-25-2022 at 12:33 AM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:14 AM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
>Now in general I'm thinking that skills should be limited a one or two point spend

They certainly can. And note that skill limits are no more realistic for teens than they are for anybody else. Almost nobody, teen or adult, has the kind of diversity and levels of skills you see in adventurers, but almost nobody has that many points to work with either. Just insist they turn in "reasonable" characters, and you can vet reasonableness individually rather than trying to impose it with point constraints that are unlikely to work anyway. When you are trying to enforce realistic skills, you are usually better off with a skill cap (no skills over 12!) than a point cap anyway.

Do remind them the characters are crazed enthusiasts for this mecha thing, which kind of precludes them being crazed enthusiasts for something else, so they better spend most of their points over and above what you'd need for a "normal" teenager on something related to the mecha theme.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:26 AM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post

Yes. In fact, training time is probably the most pedestrian and least heroic explanation for points in skills; on some level, I regret that the game talks about it. Some or all points in skill can be read as "Talent for this one skill" – I get into this in many of my supplements.* If you really want someone who is insanely talented with a skill, buy a high level of the skill and explain it as ". . . and I'm a natural." Done.

* For instance, on GURPS Power-Ups 3: Talents, p. 17: "Conversely, skills aren't necessarily learned; high Running skill might suggest physical training, but PCs without track-and-field experience can select it as a natural propensity – or buy it with earned points for reasons of dramatic necessity."
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:39 PM   #6
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Yes. In fact, training time is probably the most pedestrian and least heroic explanation for points in skills; on some level, I regret that the game talks about it. Some or all points in skill can be read as "Talent for this one skill" – I get into this in many of my supplements.* If you really want someone who is insanely talented with a skill, buy a high level of the skill and explain it as ". . . and I'm a natural." Done.

* For instance, on GURPS Power-Ups 3: Talents, p. 17: "Conversely, skills aren't necessarily learned; high Running skill might suggest physical training, but PCs without track-and-field experience can select it as a natural propensity – or buy it with earned points for reasons of dramatic necessity."
This is really good. I think it's far better for a GM to control the skill levels than the skill points. Sure, you can use points sometimes to reflect training. For things like piloting it can help you work out how many familiarities you have. But really, it's more of a balance control factor, trying to let a group of characters be roughly the same power overall. Denying (or insisting) on point spends at a given level doesn't really add anything that isn't better handled by reviewing the skill level, imo.

On the general topic of teenagers and learning, it's well established that kids generally learn faster than adults, and there's a new study that suggests it might be down to gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) levels. In short, kids "reset" faster after learning something and can start learning again (about 10 minutes compared to an hour for adults). So it's perfectly reasonable for kids to have learned a large variety of things in a time that might seem unrealistic for an adult (or not in line with GURPS guidelines on how quickly one can learn). Of course, the depth of understanding in some contexts might be limited due to limited neural development, but that's where "natural talent" can be an acceptable plot element to justify it.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:12 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

"Natural talent" at a skill is a combination of a type of intelligence (not necessarily GURPS IQ per se) that favors the general class of activity a skill belongs to, specific interest in that particular skill (probably acquired through encouragement, idolization, or media exposure), and a consequent willingness to do the hard work to realize the intelligence in the form of the skill. In game terms, it isn't "I don't have to train at all . . . I was born this way!", but something closer to, "Each hour for you is like 20 hours for me," meaning the talented youth appears to need little or no training.

This is why I'm not a huge fan of X hours = 1 point: The flat rates in the rules aren't just averages, but averages with error bars so huge that they don't really have much value. The learning-time reductions for Talents are probably adequate for groups of skills, but for individual interests, they're still not large enough.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:58 PM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
"
This is why I'm not a huge fan of X hours = 1 point: The flat rates in the rules aren't just averages, but averages with error bars so huge that they don't really have much value. h.
On the contrary the time rules have a perfectly good use. That use might be small and simple but just by existing it answers the question "Can I learn Spoken Voormish while we're sailing towards Voorm or do i have to wait until we get there and I can kill some Orcs?".

Even the theoretical ability to learn skills without "adventuring" helps ground Gurps and make it less unreasonable than many games over the years where you did have to kill Orcs to pick up a new Skill even when that skill was largely unrelated to Orc-killing..
Old 11-26-2022, 07:22 AM   #9
Rolando

For the combat I think you may use the mekton ranges and combat straight from the book, modifiers and all.

You are simulating a game inside the game so ranges don't have to be in virtual reality meters or anything but hexes (50 meters to a hex for description purposes).

I think mekton skill rolls are close enough to GURPS that it may work, and most combat rolls are quick contests, so the skill scale between attacker and defender is the same, you may want to watch some of the modifiers and make a few test battles and see if the modifiers need compressing (each +-2 in mekton equals +-1 in GURPS).
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:08 PM   #10
Pursuivant

Quote:
In game terms, it isn't "I don't have to train at all . . . I was born this way!", but something closer to, "Each hour for you is like 20 hours for me," meaning the talented youth appears to need little or no training.
Combine a bit of training with Talent and/or outstanding IQ or DX score and you get an instant prodigy. The prodigy might need the same number of hours to improve to their maximum skill level as a normal person, but they start from a much higher baseline.

For example, Picasso & Mozart started off a brilliant child prodigies and got better as they matured.

Quote:
This is why I'm not a huge fan of X hours = 1 point: The flat rates in the rules aren't just averages, but averages with error bars so huge that they don't really have much value. The learning-time reductions for Talents are probably adequate for groups of skills, but for individual interests, they're still not large enough.
It would be easy to have an enhancement for Talent which boosts learning speed for a specific skill or technique within its scope. Treat faster learning for all the skills in a Talent as a +50% leveled Cosmic enhancement, then pro-rate from there.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote