Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-13-2021, 08:34 PM   #11
DrewAstolfi67

Default Re: Sword and Planet Sandbox Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Very cool stuff -- shared your doc with my friends. There's a lot of overlap with Moorcock's writing as well (both in the setting and in Blue Oyster Cult's music :) )
My friends and I were Moorcock completionists back in the day! We were obsessed with him. I would love to hear what your friends think if they read it.
DrewAstolfi67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #12
phiwum

When my son was in high school a few years ago, he tried a little Moorcock. He couldn't get through it. Couldn't stand the writing style.

I never read Moorcock, but my brother was a fan. I respect my son's opinion about books (and little else) so I wonder if it's a style that just aged poorly. (He reads Lovecraft, so he's not averse to older writing generally speaking.)

Whatever, Veteran of the Psychic Wars is solid. (In defense of the boy's taste, he's a big BOC fan and saw them a couple of years ago, alas, playing at a county fair.)
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:04 PM   #13
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
When my son was in high school a few years ago, he tried a little Moorcock. He couldn't get through it. Couldn't stand the writing style.

I never read Moorcock, but my brother was a fan. I respect my son's opinion about books (and little else) so I wonder if it's a style that just aged poorly. (He reads Lovecraft, so he's not averse to older writing generally speaking.)

Whatever, Veteran of the Psychic Wars is solid. (In defense of the boy's taste, he's a big BOC fan and saw them a couple of years ago, alas, playing at a county fair.)
Your son has good taste...I think Moorcock has aged poorly. Elric rocked my imagination back in the 80s, but on going back there is something lacking in Moorcock. He's basically an acid head 60s type and doesn't really play well in the 21st century.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:54 AM   #14
Steve Plambeck

I was going to say wait, I've read Moorcock's Prince Corum series three times, decades apart, and I didn't notice the prose aging. But then I realized, that third reading had to be in the mid-90's, so I best shut up. Pulled one off the shelf just now and it's practically crumbling in my hands. Now I feel old.

But wouldn't the Hand of Kwll and the Eye of Rhynn make the dandiest of magical items? Yeah, there might be some game balance issues :)
Old 04-14-2021, 07:40 AM   #15
DrewAstolfi67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
I was going to say wait, I've read Moorcock's Prince Corum series three times, decades apart, and I didn't notice the prose aging.
I agree about Elric not aging as well. I tried to reread it a few years ago and it had lost the impact it had back in '70s. Elric was my favorite back then - much better than Conan or ERB to me. Corum and the Dancers at the End of Time still seem fresh though. That acid-tinged prose was definitely on my mind when I re-wrote this thing.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:09 PM   #16
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post

I find Moorcock's work extremely variable in quality -- he's written so many Elric books at so many different points in his life. Hawkmoon has some very interesting magi-tech in it but the writing is a bit two-dimensional. I like all six Corum books a lot.

The multiverse aspect of the many, many Eternal Champions books is well worth reading the books for, even if you have to hold your nose sometimes...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #17
zot

Another level of the Elric books that may not be obvious to a lot of people (or maybe it is?) is that Stormbringer is a metaphor for a nasty drug addiction, like heroine or meth. It literally enables Elric to get out of bed in the morning but it also makes him ruin the lives of his friends and loved ones (and sometimes kill them).
Old 04-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #18
DrewAstolfi67

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Another level of the Elric books that may not be obvious to a lot of people (or maybe it is?) is that Stormbringer is a metaphor for a nasty drug addiction, like heroine or meth. It literally enables Elric to get out of bed in the morning but it also makes him ruin the lives of his friends and loved ones (and sometimes kill them).
Ok. My mind is blown - I read these when I was in 6th grade and did NOT make the connection between Stormbringer and addiction. Now that I have lived a long time and seen people fall to those things it makes total sense. But I did not see it until you said it - MB b/c I never reread the Elric books!

However, back to Sword and Planet: Moorcock actually wrote The City of the Beast and a sequel I cannot remember. It was a homage to Burroughs. And better than Moorcock was Leigh Brackett; her Ginger Star series was a direct inspiration for my piece (and a reminder to new thread members it is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa4bizlc0i...Draft.pdf?dl=0).

In a way, Cidri seemed like a Dyson Sphere, or MB a Dyson Swarm. Which is a little Sword and Planet...
Old 04-18-2021, 06:24 AM   #19
Chris Rice

I’ve reread the Corum stories recently and they still work fine for me. They were a big influence on my RPGs.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #20
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewAstolfi67 View Post
Ok. My mind is blown - I read these when I was in 6th grade and did NOT make the connection between Stormbringer and addiction. Now that I have lived a long time and seen people fall to those things it makes total sense. But I did not see it until you said it - MB b/c I never reread the Elric books!
Yeah, I had a very sheltered childhood and wasn't exposed to addiction until I met some recovering addicts when I was about 30. Also, we met addicts who were avoiding recovery and saw what it/they did to their loved ones.

I've reread many Moorcock books since that time but didn't actually make the connection until 5-10 years after meeting said people.

Apparently addiction figures into a lot of Stephen King's stories. The "superfan" in Misery is apparently a metaphor for cocaine -- makes you feel really good about yourself for a short while but after that...

Also, there's an indie RPG called Annalise that's about the people affected by a vampire and in the back it has ways you can reskin the game. Mad scientist, werewolf, etc. One of them reskins the vampire as an alcoholic parent. Reskinning vampires as alcoholic parents got me wondering how many old monster stories are metaphorical like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewAstolfi67 View Post
However, back to Sword and Planet: Moorcock actually wrote The City of the Beast and a sequel I cannot remember. It was a homage to Burroughs. And better than Moorcock was Leigh Brackett; her Ginger Star series was a direct inspiration for my piece (and a reminder to new thread members it is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa4bizlc0i...Draft.pdf?dl=0).

In a way, Cidri seemed like a Dyson Sphere, or MB a Dyson Swarm. Which is a little Sword and Planet...
I actually was thinking of the Kane of Old Mars books when I started my first reply but so much of his stuff is so pulpy and kind of fits with sword and planet anyway :)

FYI: Kane of Old Mars

Last edited by zot; 04-19-2021 at 01:29 PM.