Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-03-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
Tolenkar

Default New Spell?

Maybe this has already been thought of and worked on. I have always admired the Roger Stine cover art for the second edition of Wizard where the fighter is having his face removed by a wizard. Well, I want that spell. Have wanted that spell since I saw that art. Will that spell be in the new Wizard or ITL? Has anyone ever created that spell in their campaigns?

Yours in wizardry,

-Tolenkar
Old 08-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
Rick_Smith

Default Re: New Spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolenkar View Post
Maybe this has already been thought of and worked on. I have always admired the Roger Stine cover art for the second edition of Wizard where the fighter is having his face removed by a wizard. Well, I want that spell. Have wanted that spell since I saw that art. Will that spell be in the new Wizard or ITL? Has anyone ever created that spell in their campaigns?

Yours in wizardry,

-Tolenkar
I created the Soul Jar spell which reproduced the effects of that art. However, I never liked it and eventually removed it from my campaign.

It put the victim's soul into a ball, a pre-prepared magic item. If the ball was destroyed the soul was lost. The body could be used much like a flesh golem. If the body died, the soul was trapped in the ball forever.

At any time, a NEW soul could be transferred into the ball, in which case the old soul was lost and the old body died.

It was too nasty, too powerful. The PC's hated it. I made it cost a much higher IQ to cast, but that just moved it into the "only NPC's can get this" category.

I disliked that cover art. The art, I feel, should reflect what can happen in game. Art that shows spells that don't exist always felt like a bait and switch to me.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
Shostak

What about making it so that the body would appear dead but remain incorrupt, and if the (crystal) ball broke, the soul instantly returned to the body? Still a mighty spell, but a little less powerful.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
What about making it so that the body would appear dead but remain incorrupt, and if the (crystal) ball broke, the soul instantly returned to the body? Still a mighty spell, but a little less powerful.
Hi Shostak,
I'm sure that the spell could be tweaked to make it work better. However, it was intended as an evil magic item, so I was not that interested in moderating it.

One thing I forgot to mention above, is if the ball was broke within 5 Mh of the body, the soul went back inside the body. So in one adventure, the players had to recapture their friend's body (it fought them in a dumb golem way), restrain it, care for it, haul it to the evil wizard, fight his minions (including other bodies that they didn't want to kill), and then find and break the ball.

It was a great adventure, but the player's DESPISED that item / spell.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
Skarg

Yeah, I have kind of wanted the "Face Rip" spell, too...

I've also sometimes just thought it might be an artistic rendering of the Death Spell.

Or possibly, of a myrmidon being summoned... the body and sword appear, and a soul having the nightmare experience of being wrapped onto it.

Or it could be a new spell. Looks like victim probably drops their weapon and falls, or has to roll to avoid doing so as their senses of vision, smell and taste are torn into an illusionary experience.

In that form, it wouldn't seem to me even as powerful as the Freeze spell, depending on what can resist it (maybe disbelief at 3/IQ or 4/IQ?), and what the ST cost and duration are like.

So, for example:

IQ 12 Face Rip (T) (Prereq: Illusion?)
Appears to spectacularly rip the face off the target into a floating sphere. The victim's face appears to have no eyes, nose or mouth, and the face in the sphere probably looks horrified. The victim becomes blind (as if in complete darkness, -8 DX & other effects described in Advanced Melee), anosmic, and unable to speak, and must roll 3/IQ or drop whatever they are holding and fall to the ground. Others nearby who do not know about the spell may be horrified. Can be disbelieved by the victim or by observers, on a 4/IQ roll.
Cost: 3 ST
(like other illusions it lasts 12 turns, can be renewed)

Might seem pretty powerful, but compare to IQ 12 Freeze (4 ST).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
Shostak

With no mouth or nose, the subject of the spell will die. You could just see the cover as being an illustration of the Death spell.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
Tolenkar

I think I am liking the idea of a "Face Rip" spell, versus one that removes the target's soul. My thoughts are that it should be a thrown spell, and only temporary, with a cost per turn for upkeep. Basically, it just blinds the victim but could be used to make them mute for a short time. For simplicity, and perhaps mercy, I would say that the spell leaves two holes for breathing. A more severe version of the spell could be used to remove faces after death and preserve them so that they could be used with another spell to become that person (I'm thinking Aria Stark and "the Faceless One" cult from Game of thrones).

IQ 11
Steal Face - (T) This spell magically removes the face of a one-hex or two-hex target. The victim is blind for the time that the spell is active and may not speak, eat, or otherwise use their mouth or eyes. They are also unrecognizable as... they have no face. 2 ST to cast, plus one each turn to maintain.

This might be usable in a few situations: the obvious- incapacitating someone, silencing someone (great for using on guards), or making someone unrecognizable ("... the bartender was just about to recognize the king's face under his hood, when Charlak cast a remove face spell and the bartender quickly looked away.")

Thanks for getting me to think about this again, guys.

Deviously yours,

-Tolenkar
Old 10-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #8
JohnPaulB

Default Re: New Spell? Weaken

IQ 10

Weaken (T) Pulls 3 fatigue from the target and puts it into a psychic cyst which lasts 3 turns. After those 3 turns, the cyst bursts and the fatigue returns to the victim. The victim could be driven to -1 hit points from other attacks during the three turns and die, however the Caster won't be able kill the victim with this spell. If at victim is at 1 hitpoint when the spell is thrown, the victim will go unconsciousness at 0 and the rest of the spell's efforts are wasted.

If the victim is killed, when the 3 turns are up and the cyst bursts, it may be enough to revive the victim.

The caster can cast this again on the same target.

ST cost: 1

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #9
larsdangly

FLAY (T): In this monstrous spell, the caster waves his hand at the subject, instantly ripping all the skin from his body in a single motion. The target receives a saving throw on 3d vs. the greater of ST or IQ. On a failure, the subject immediately takes 3d6 points of damage per hex of his size (i.e., a 3-hex giant would take 9d6 damage), plus 1d6 points of damage per minute. If the subject survives the initial shock, he is incapacitated unless somehow immune from pain. Cost: 6.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #10
RobW

You guys are scary.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote