Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-09-2021, 06:17 PM   #1
Kieddicus

Default Getting Knocked Out

I never really liked that the only way to fall unconscious in combat was to drop to exactly 0 ST so I came up with a fix that I thought I'd share. (This also has the added benefit of making ST slightly more useful.)

When ST drops to 3 or less in addition to the loss of DX you must also make a 3/ST saving roll if you fail you are knocked out, you must also make this roll every time you are hit while at 3 or less HP (even if the hit deals 0 damage).
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:16 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Getting Knocked Out

You shouldn't have to be at death's door to be knocked unconscious. One fairly believable way to handle KOs is to require an aimed blow tothe head, detailed on ITL 121. I might define the time unconscious to 1d turns.

Another is to require any blow delivering enough damage to knock someone down also requiring a ST roll to avoid getting knocked out. I'd probably cap the time unconscious from this method to 1d-3 turns (1 min).
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:07 AM   #3
larsdangly

The aimed shot rules are the obvious way to go here. I find them to be appropriately scaled, in terms of DX penalty and damage threshold to knock someone out.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
hcobb

Roofie, Halfling wizard, age 20
ST 6, DX 15, IQ 9, MA 10
Talents: Blowgun, Literacy, Thrown Weapons
Spells: Dark Vision, Darkness, Fire, Staff, Summon Scout, Turn Missiles
Language: Common
Weapons: blowgun wand (pos, 1d occult)
Attacks and Damage: Punch (1d-4)
Equipment: 4 doses sleeping potion
Old 06-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #5
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieddicus View Post
I never really liked that the only way to fall unconscious in combat was to drop to exactly 0 ST
Post-combat physickering can raise ST from negative to non-negative, effectively that does create a zone where a character is de facto unconscious-and-dying rather than dead. So the line has become more blurred in Legacy than it was in Classic.

Quote:
When ST drops to 3 or less in addition to the loss of DX you must also make a 3/ST saving roll if you fail you are knocked out, you must also make this roll every time you are hit while at 3 or less HP (even if the hit deals 0 damage).
This rule has a couple of interesting effects:
  • It's easier to neutralise someone. TFT is already a game where characters can't survive much attrition, so you need to decide whether that's something you
  • It makes low ST characters one-hit-and-they're-down. I think that's probably a good thing, off to hell with the flimsy prats, but it's something to think about.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:09 PM   #6
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Roofie, Halfling wizard
Weapons: blowgun wand (pos, 1d occult)
Literally lol xD
Sleep spell probably more reliable but less theatrical than Roofie the hobbit blowing poisonous darts out his wand
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:36 AM   #7
hcobb

UC III pin tag teamed with a wizard who knows Drain ST and Aid.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:49 PM   #8
Oneiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
UC III pin tag teamed with a wizard who knows Drain ST and Aid.
I think the proposal/question is more looking for a "real world" simulationist answer (i.e., a boxing match KO instead of a kill, where no one has magic or unusual talents.)

That said, I also think Aimed Shots are the appropriate option. Some caveats, though:

If you want an intentional KO to be survivable, any damage past the 5 hits needed to knock out the target is ignored.

If the attacker did not declare they were going for a knock-out before attacking, full damage is applied.

Even if intent to KO the target is announced, double or triple damage rolls are applied in full. Sometimes you don't know your own Strength...

I might also adjust the 5 hit threshold for larger/smaller targets, but leave that as an exercise for the GM to adjudicate on the fly.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:09 PM   #9
hcobb

UC V is fairly safe at knocking people out, but they sleep for two days afterwards.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #10
Peter von Kleinsmid
The Fantasy Trip Line Editor

There are three rules for knockouts, two of which are optional. See Aimed Shots (ITL p. 121, Head), Crippling Hits (ITL p. 122, result 12), and Taking Prisoners (ITL p. 126).

So you might attack to subdue and aim for the head.
Peter von Kleinsmid is offline   Reply With Quote