Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2021, 07:20 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: unstable terrain: how does it work?

I went looking for terrain adaptation skill of the week thread, and it looks like we never did one for terrain adaptation. They often have useful information for stuff like this...

The dictionary of danger has some bad terrain description under botanical on page 9, and under Nautical on page 23. Both invoke the generic bad footing, though there is some expansion on it.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #12
DemiBenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
Also remember, paved roads are made to be not slippery during heavy rain, so as long as the characters have good outdoor shoes (specially motorcycle riding boots, outdoor boots, combat boots for example) it is improbable that they will need a roll at all, and at least the penalties should be reduced, maybe the result of a critical failure is a skid and a DX or Acrobatics roll to prevent a fall.
Not all motorcycle boots are the same. Smooth-soled ones would slip on ice and water
  • Engineer boots (commonly worn on motorcycles by certain types of riders), and smooth-soled
  • Motorcycle racing boots are smooth-soled, and designed for racing, so they’re hard to walk in, too
  • Motocross boots, adventure-touring, and any off-road boots are GREAT in wet and slippery conditions

When I have to walk through snow and ice, I prefer wearing my off-road motorcycle boots, because they’re warm, waterproof, sturdy, and have good grip.

Last edited by DemiBenson; 09-24-2021 at 08:28 AM.
DemiBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #13
Rolando

I think I simplified motorcycle boots by a big margin :D
I also think good boots and shoes are good for moving on wet paved roads, ice is something else, but good to know off road boots or shoes are better.

As a GM I would keep things simple. I wouldn't make a rainy street a mayor hazard, ice and grease is different, but just a rainy street not. i wouldn't give it a big penalty, just something like calling it very wet and maye slippery to keep the tension high on my players but unless there is a critical failure I wouldn't readily call for penalties or DX rolls to stay on foot.

On the other hand if the idea is to make it a hazard i would still keep it simple and use the -2 modifier and a DX penalty if the character tries to do something rash or try to move at full speed, specially if not moving in a straight line. These penalties and hazards will apply for NPC's too, so the less to track the better, and NPC's tend to have worst DX and skill than PC's so it will be a blessing in disguise and more work for me, if the bad guy(s) have terrain adaptation or perfect balance, the penalties will enhance the effect, then I can get more creative with mods and penalties just to show the players they are fighting it in the enemy territory feel.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #14
Gnome

M186 has rules under the "Ice Slick" spell that I think could work just fine for non-magical ice slicks.

In general, Magic often has rules for special situations that aren't quite consistent with the rest of the RAW (like the rules for having your legs held by Rooted Feet, for example, or the light intensity levels on M110), but they can be good inspiration for house rules...
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:26 PM   #15
whswhs

Okay. The last thing I'd like to ask again is, can anyone suggest a case where bad terrain gives a penalty to DX or DX-based skills that isn't a penalty to attack or defense rolls? I'd particularly like examples of published rules for this, but if you haven't got those, a suggested application of the idea could help.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:06 AM   #16
lugaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Okay. The last thing I'd like to ask again is, can anyone suggest a case where bad terrain gives a penalty to DX or DX-based skills that isn't a penalty to attack or defense rolls? I'd particularly like examples of published rules for this, but if you haven't got those, a suggested application of the idea could help.
Some situations that come immediately to mind to me include:

Running or Jumping rolls when on loose sand or gravel.
Pickpocket while on the pitching deck of a ship at sea.
Acrobatics in an ice rink.
Dancing in a swamp.
Filch on an airliner during heavy turbulence.

And so on.
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:24 AM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I went looking for terrain adaptation skill of the week thread, and it looks like we never did one for terrain adaptation.
It is an advantage, not a skill, and Advantage of the Week hasn't got there yet.

Doing a search on the advantage make clear that it's bought by terrain type and Powers has a wildcard version. Terrain Adaptation basically removes the need to move slowly and carefully in bad terrain, as per "Terrain", p. B351. There don't seem to be detailed rules about DX penalties in bad terrain, and I suspect the GM is expected to improvise them.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:42 AM   #18
SID

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Regarding unstable/poor terrain, GURPS underground adventures could be an example. It's a short paragraph, but makes a distinction between tactical combat, non-combat tasks and long-distance travel.

It says DX based skills for body maneuvers are at -2, and it mentions dancing.
SID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:40 AM   #19
Balor Patch

DF16:38

"These cost +1 movement point per yard (hex) to cross; give -2 to attack rolls, DX rolls to remain standing, and Acrobatics and Jumping rolls; and inflict -1 on active defense rolls. Combatants with the appropriate Terrain Adaptation advantage – including most monsters native to harsh environments – avoid these issues."
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:52 AM   #20
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
"These cost +1 movement point per yard (hex) to cross; give -2 to attack rolls, DX rolls to remain standing, and Acrobatics and Jumping rolls; and inflict -1 on active defense rolls. Combatants with the appropriate Terrain Adaptation advantage – including most monsters native to harsh environments – avoid these issues."
Well, that's interesting. I own hardly anything in the DF line, so I haven't seen that. This is GURPS DF, not the DFRPG you're quoting, right?

Is there anything about when you have to make a DX roll to remain standing? Is there terrain that's not bad enough to call for the -2 penalty, but that does give you a chance of falling? The Basic Set doesn't seem to talking about this, though Perfect Balance gives you bonuses to "keep your feet or avoid being knocked down"—but I can't find any statement that "when you do X in situation A you have to roll to keep your feet."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad terrain, terrain adaptation