Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
Micah Davis

Default Intolerance's Pricing System is Weird

So, I was thinking up some basic characters and I opened up Intolerance and the prices just seem... really wonky?

So, for example, Intolerance (Men) is -5 Disadvantage but Intolerance (Non-Natives) is -10 Disadvantage, even though it would be a strange country indeed where non-natives made up half or the more powerful share of the population. Or take religion, Intolerance (Christians) in modern America is -5 Points and Intolerance (Non-Christians) is -10 points but Christians make up a (much) larger share of the population.

I think the categories work well for class - Intolerance (Upper Class) applies to a smaller group, but they have all the power in society, and Intolerance (Lower Class) applies to a pretty broad subsection of society even if you have power over them. But it's much worse if you take, say, "Non-Lower Class," easily worth an extra five points if you're picking fight with the middle classes (or with both the bosses and the bottom).

So I kind of think it's a wonky trait, but I'm not quite sure how to fix it - It seems like you'd want to go in and work out some way of assessing both the power/size of the constituency against which you're prejudiced, but the point spread isn't really big enough to do that in any kind of detailed way.
Micah Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intolerance