Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Lethal disadvantage Combos

Appearance (Very Handsome), Charisma 5, Sexy Pose, Voice, Lecherousness (6-), Overconfident (6-), Xenophila (6-), and Sex Appeal (A) HT+8 would result in a net -6 CP combination. The character is exceptionally good at seducing adolescent girls and naive women, and they are the type of person who would see sneaking into the bedchamber of the local princess and/or queen as a suitable and worthwhile challenge. Regardless of the nature of their potential conquest, they would always feel equal to the challenge and, due to their reaction bonuses, they would have a good chance at success. They would eventually be caught and/or cheat on a powerful woman though, which is the lethal part.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #12
PTTG

Addiction to any substance you have a vulnerability to would be a big problem...
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #13
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Appearance (Very Handsome), Charisma 5, Sexy Pose, Voice, Lecherousness (6-), Overconfident (6-), Xenophila (6-), and Sex Appeal (A) HT+8 would result in a net -6 CP combination. The character is exceptionally good at seducing adolescent girls and naive women, and they are the type of person who would see sneaking into the bedchamber of the local princess and/or queen as a suitable and worthwhile challenge. Regardless of the nature of their potential conquest, they would always feel equal to the challenge and, due to their reaction bonuses, they would have a good chance at success. They would eventually be caught and/or cheat on a powerful woman though, which is the lethal part.
I like it.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #14
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Hand the sheet back to the player and say "try again." Honestly, I'm not certain I'd ever allow Cursed in a game, and I'd be strongly tempted to disallow Weirdness Magnet.

If for some reason I did allow such a character, he or she would likely suffer Death by Anvil in fairly short order.
I think I might have said before that Cursed without modifiers is basically Terminally Ill (Up to one year) with a special effect that you die of bad luck instead of disease, genetics, or Planned Obsolescence. I'd be far more inclined to allow it as an Affliction for the character to hit others with (make it based on Vision, and it's one of the nastier versions of the Evil Eye).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:04 AM   #15
Ultraviolet

I wouldn't say lethal, but certainly challenging..

Back in a long running 3rd ed Cliffhangers campaign I had Overconfidence, Impulsiveness and Jealousy.
At least two other characters also had one or both of Overconfidence and Impulsiveness.
So even if I didn't jump right into way too dangerous situations myself first, I'd follow and try to one-up them.

When the campaign rebooted for 4th ed Curious was a popular choice this time. If nothing else then to drive the plot on. Or off track even. One time in Egypt, a botched Observation led us to notice suspicious behaviour, which ended with us infiltrating a secret society meant as backdrop for the plot. That cause a lot of trouble

I played a mechanic with Curious (which I never attempted to avoid) and Compulsive Behaviour (pushing buttons/pulling levers)
Old 06-30-2020, 02:06 AM   #16
Ultraviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Impulsiveness, Overconfidence and Dabbler (Explosives (Demolition)).
Wouldn't it be worse with Incompetence (Explosives) rather than Dabbler?
Plus Curious to stay close by to see how things work out...
Old 06-30-2020, 02:42 AM   #17
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Destiny (Die during X Behavior) [-15]
Compulsive Behavior: X Behavior (6~) [-30]

So not only do you die, you die in a completely avoidable (and probably revolting) way, and the survivors/witnesses say "The stupid bastard deserved it."
Old 06-30-2020, 03:57 AM   #18
WingedKagouti

On the Edge + Phantom Voices (Diabolical) - Not only do you want to go out in a blaze of glory to satisfy the voices, but they also tell you that you should take everyone else with you if at all possible.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #19
TGLS

Pyromania and Fragile (Combustible).
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:18 AM   #20
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Impulsiveness and curious. You hate standing around waiting and if anything catches your eye you go for it immediately.
I've used that, and found it fun (it wasn't exactly a very serious campaign).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Honestly, I'm not certain I'd ever allow Cursed in a game, and I'd be strongly tempted to disallow Weirdness Magnet.
I don't recall ever seeing a PC in one of my games use Cursed. I have used Weirdness Magnet for a PC, and think it can be a fun Disadvantage. One of my super hero PCs had it. He was oblivious to the fact that virtually anyone he worked with, dated, or spent much time with at all in his mundane identity ended up being a super, often a super villain.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cursed, disadvantages, weirdness magnet