Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #11
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Need help with a martial art

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
No, it was the combination of dancing and sex-appeal that hit me.
And that leads straight to twerking nowadays? Man, giving up tv six years ago was the best thing I ever did for myself...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #12
jason taylor

Quote:
I'd drop sex appeal. The idea of twerking elves is just too strange and I have to go scrub out my brain now.
Elves with Sex Appeal is fairly traditional, as are liasons with mortals and however they go about it will seem incongruous.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:39 AM   #13
Phil Masters

I always got the idea that modern fantasy elves were considered sexy because they looked ****ing gorgeous. Humans (often meaning "readers" rather than "other characters in the story") fell for them more or less despite what they said or did, possibly even to their embarrassment. The idea of flirting would be beneath their precious dignity.

Classic folklore elves, on the other hand, are often evil seducers by vocation. The only reason they wouldn't have Sex Appeal would be because they used magic instead. However, they aren't generally the sorts to display fantastically graceful martial arts skills; if they got into fights at all ... they'd use magic instead.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:05 AM   #14
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Surmanjekk (Dance of Death)
You know I've watched too much Regular Show when I can't help but read that in the voice of the Death Kwan Do guy: "The Dance... Of Death!" and picture your elves jamming while wearing cut-offs and mullets.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #15
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Elves with Sex Appeal is fairly traditional, as are liasons with mortals and however they go about it will seem incongruous.
The stuff I've read usually shows the elves as extremely attractive rather than putting on the display that sex-appeal calls for.

And even if they do use sex-appeal, I can't see studying it for a martial art. It seems too undignified.

One of the martial arts in my space fantasy game is The Spiral Dance. It is a very graceful art (yes, dancing is a primary skill), but there is no sex-appeal to the dance itself. There are two versions: an older combat version "The Original Spiral Dance" and a modern sport version which has taken over the name of The Spiral Dance. I do use dancing in something like Acrobatic Dodge, called the Graceful Dodge.

The only melee weapons taught are staff and three-part-staff. They are also taught Throwing Art to be able to use thrown found objects and The Blunt Ring (sort of a woven wire disk with a large hole in the center), meant for disabling at a distance. If they want to learn other weapons, they need to study other arts. The older version encourages this, while the newer version doesn't.

For example, in my current game, the martial artist has studied many different martial arts, even though she doesn't carry any weapons aside from her staff so she'd probably have familiarity penalties.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #16
jason taylor

"And even if they do use sex-appeal, I can't see studying it for a martial art. It seems too undignified."

The nervous system remains the same, and thus the target areas will be the same.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #17
DangerousThing

Quote:
"And even if they do use sex-appeal, I can't see studying it for a martial art. It seems too undignified."

The nervous system remains the same, and thus the target areas will be the same.
Maybe I'm misreading something, but I don't see sex-appeal as helping martial arts aimed attacks.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #18
Fred Brackin

Quote:

Even that would be Erotic Art and not Sex Appeal. I don't think it's true anyway.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #19
malloyd

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Even that would be Erotic Art and not Sex Appeal. I don't think it's true anyway.
I thought Star Trek did a tolerably good job of connecting them for their pointy eared race with the introduction of Vulcan neuropressure.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:54 AM   #20
Anders

Quote:
Maybe I'm misreading something, but I don't see sex-appeal as helping martial arts aimed attacks.
I suppose you could have a Perk that lets you use Sex Appeal as a Feint.

Tags
elves, martial arts