Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Gurps: The Mandalorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post

I not sure how the Tusken gaffi stick would work.
It's probably a Polearm weapon with one end doing Thrust/Impale or Swing/Crush and the other Swing/Impale. Exact figures like MinSt, weight and damage bonuses are going to be guesses.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:38 AM   #12
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
It was semi-serious since you see troopers dropping from what should be less than crippling injuries. Also, the second line should tell you that I know that that stopped using clones.
Thats what I get for posting while half asleep XD
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:00 AM   #13
Fred Brackin

Moving on to weapons (and remebr those Spoiler! warnings).

Mando's pistol is a Heavy Blaster (at least in the way that Han's is) and using the UT stats for such a weapon is probably okay.

Mando's longarm (that thing that looks like a cross between a Trapdoor Springfield and a tuning fork) is harder to classify. It had a an electric shock function and that was apparently tunable to megafauna levels. Mando described its' use on Jawas as "disintegration" and it did indeed leave very little behind.

It's not a UT Disintegrator because Mando's gun had little effect on big things like the AT-ST or the Krayt dragon and the UT weapon would have..I looked at the special effect a couple of times and I would describe it as more of an "implosion" or something similar. The closest fit in UT might be the Tachyon Displacer though that's TL12^ and UT doesn't give you those in rifle size.

It also appears to rely on one shot power cartridges and that looks like what the things Mando carries in various places on his armor are.

Oh well, SW is full of anomalous uber-tech. Undoubtedly made by some alien race somewhere.

Mando uses a number of what are probably the equivalent of UT 25mm Limpet Mines though probably in Plasma rather than HEAT.

Mando's wrist-mounted flamethrower is nto much like UT's Flamers at all. Not enough range but probably more damage on max setting.

The "Whistling birds" are likely a less baroque version of UT's Smart Shurikens.

There was a special effect associated with the giant Gamorrean axes and I believe that I saw the same visual from Mando's knife one time. Call it a "vibroknife". The term has appeared in SW related material in the past.

We see Fett's armor launch what was called a "Proton Torpedo" in past material but would be adequately simulated by one of UT's 64mm missiles.

Boba Fett's ship (i.d. ed as "Slave One" in past material) used a previously unseen weapon against two TIE Fighters. You can't call it a "depth charge" so I guess it has to be a Spatial Charge. It's a large explosion though probably not nuclear. The SW galaxy seems to be blanketed by a Nuclear Damper df Unusual Size.

In other character's hands we see a number of previously unseen blaster pistol models, a blaster sniper rifle and a blaster LMG. Also an E-web blaster cannon (and called by that name). Also and for only the second time ever the stun setting on a Stormtrooper's blaster smg.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:00 PM   #14
Imbicatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post

Boba Fett's ship (i.d. ed as "Slave One" in past material) used a previously unseen weapon against two TIE Fighters. You can't call it a "depth charge" so I guess it has to be a Spatial Charge. It's a large explosion though probably not nuclear. The SW galaxy seems to be blanketed by a Nuclear Damper df Unusual Size.
We did see the Spatial Charges in Attack of the Clones.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:03 PM   #15
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
We did see the Spatial Charges in Attack of the Clones.
The novelization of AotC called them "sonic charges", though to be fair any shockwave type 100mm or larger warhead should work. Other than in an atmosphere, we only see it used in the asteroid ring around Geonosis (accompanied by a very untuned bass guitar chord), so I'd ASSume it can work in a trace atmosphere.

Then again, space physics is different in SW than in RL.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:34 PM   #16
Rupert

Quote:
In other character's hands we see a number of previously unseen blaster pistol models, a blaster sniper rifle and a blaster LMG. Also an E-web blaster cannon (and called by that name). Also and for only the second time ever the stun setting on a Stormtrooper's blaster smg.
Unless there's an in-universe source calling the Stormtrooper weapons 'SMGs' I'd call them 'blaster carbines' because they don't seem to shoot full-auto.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:33 AM   #17
borithan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbuckley View Post
The official lore is that Storm Trooper armor disperses the energy in such a way that it turns otherwise lethal blows into knockout blows. It's dumb but it's what the lore says. It's easily mass produced armor that ensures you can almost always redeploy the soldier in question. (At least in theory)
In Rogue one we have one trooper being repeatedly hit by fire when being used as a human shield, and repeatedly making pained noises, so it is clear he wasn't being killed by the impacts, but that he was being injured in some way, which would fit with this.

But then the same film also had them being taken out by a guy with a stick, so... yeah, really it is just cinematic amour which does exactly what it needs to for the demands of the plot.
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:06 AM   #18
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Unless there's an in-universe source calling the Stormtrooper weapons 'SMGs' I'd call them 'blaster carbines' because they don't seem to shoot full-auto.
In-universe materials, including dialogue in several comics and novels, call the E-11s either "rifles" or "carbines". That the props used on set were made from SMGs doesn't factor into their in-universe classification, it seems.

We see a few hand-held weapons shooting what appears to be full auto in RotS on Utapau, when Ben is fighting Grievous, but those I'd classify as either blaster rifles, "light repeating blasters" (their LMG variant), or maybe even "heavy repeating blasters" (for a GPMG variant). Any rapid-fire blasters lighter than the standard rifle size I'd consider either a "repeating carbine" (a term occasionally seen in novels, comics, and vid-games) or a PDW.

(Honestly, my Sith and Wesson line of blasters may give you the variety you're looking for.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 01-17-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:03 AM   #19
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Yes, they were usually called blaster "carbines" in previous material but they are too small and/or spend too much time with their stocks folded to be be what I'd actually call a carbine. The only consistant feature to RW weapons called "carbines" is that they are short rifles by the standards of the time.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:00 AM   #20
Rupert

Quote:
Yes, they were usually called blaster "carbines" in previous material but they are too small and/or spend too much time with their stocks folded to be be what I'd actually call a carbine. The only consistant feature to RW weapons called "carbines" is that they are short rifles by the standards of the time.
And the consistent feature of an SMG (submachinegun) is that it is fully-automatic or selective fire. It's fundamental to the definition of the weapon type. So if the stormtroopers' normal issue weapon isn't capable of automatic fire, it shouldn't be called an SMG. Just because the idiots employed as stormtroopers in the Empire's latter days like to fire them from the hip with the stock folded doesn't mean they aren't carbines - it's means the users are incompetent.

Alternatively they could be considered stocked pistols ('pistol-carbines').

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote