Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-31-2020, 08:27 AM   #11
Michael Cule

Default Re: What do you include in a GURPS campaign prospectus?

As others have said there are two documents needed before you get them around the table.

The first is the prospectus which has to sell the idea to the players. From a couple of sentences up to a couple of paragraphs.

The second is the briefing: enough background to give them a flavour and establish the setting in their minds and then directions and suggestions for building their characters.

Points total. Any free/compulsory advantages or disadvantages. Any forbidden ads and disads. Any templates they might find useful. Any optional rules allowed or forbidden.

I'm currently writing one for my Megalos-After-The-Demon-Emperor game (Now called LICTORS for Roman resonance.) There's a one-page letter from the Imperial Minister of Justice to the Emperor setting out why he recommends the setting up of the Imperial Magistracy and giving them Lictors to do the dirty work. There's the Legal Enforcement Powers and the accompanying Duty. There's (going to be) a list of suitable templates from BANESTORM and some suggestions as to unusual backgrounds and abilities that they might want to consider. There's going to be a requirement for them to come up with a reason why they ended up doing this job. It will probaably come out to about two to three pages.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:34 PM   #12
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
....There's a one-page letter from the Imperial Minister of Justice to the Emperor setting out why he recommends the setting up of the Imperial Magistracy and giving them Lictors to do the dirty work....
If you ever post that somewhere, I'd be curious to see it.
Alden Loveshade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:04 AM   #13
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
How much information do you include in a GURPS campaign prospectus?

Does it look like one of the worked examples (Action, Dungeon Fantasy, etc.) which I assume is how Kromm prepares his campaigns? Available traits? Templates for races and professions? How much setting details do you include?
As others have pointed out, it sounds like what you’re calling a “prospectus” is what most people would call … something else.

For forum wisdom on the short pitch idea, I direct you to this the GURPS Campaign Prospectuses Best Practices thread.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #14
Michael Cule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
If you ever post that somewhere, I'd be curious to see it.
Here you go:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...80#post2352280
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #15
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
Thanks! Responded there.
Alden Loveshade is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign, campaign briefing, prospectus