Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #111
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Meteoric Iron Arrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Iron requires the highest temperature to soften of any metal that was used at TL 3, temperatures that are hard to achieve with TL 3 forges, and thus it's relatively difficult to work. The easy way to create a metal tube is to just heat a metal sheet until soft and bending it around a rod, but iron requires too high temperatures to do that easily.
What about stamping and scoring instead, so you get a triangular prism tube?

And can't we use a plain wire as long as it's stout enough?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #112
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
I think you start getting into handling problems - damaging the bowstring and such - when the cross-sectional area gets too low and the density gets too high.

I'd just go with a heavier arrow and reduced performance. 10-to-the-pound is hardly the only way to make arrows; heavier arrows existed and clearly work or all the "tie a firecracker to the arrow! Wait, tie a steel cage filled with flaming oily rags to the arrow! wait, use a giant whistle for an arrow head!" trick arrows from throughout history would be in trouble.

I've found a wood arrow-shaft vendor who describes their shafts as such:
"All of our shafts are 31 5/8'' in length and are available in 5/16'', 11/32'' and 23/64'' diameters" which gives me nice comparisons to make some handwaves on. Using Deadly Spring to come up with guidelines, and comparing the larges diameter in ash with the smallest diameter suggested by Deadly Spring (1/5in for 72 lb bow), it seems to be about 1/2 range (1/2dam and max), +1 damage, 3x weight.

Which I'm actually pretty good with, if you want for a solid arrow, if that's not bad for the bow.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #113
Anaraxes

Are those trick arrows from throughout real history, or just throughout gaming history?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #114
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
The force required to bend a wire varies with the cube of its diameter, so you need a quite thick wire before it's actually stiff enough. That gets us into the several hundred gram arrows mentioned up-thread.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #115
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Are those trick arrows from throughout real history, or just throughout gaming history?
Low Tech doesn't cover fictional munitions, so I'd go with the former.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #116
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
The force required to bend a wire varies with the cube of its diameter, so you need a quite thick wire before it's actually stiff enough. That gets us into the several hundred gram arrows mentioned up-thread.

Braided wire for larger effective diameter, so that bending becomes compressing/tensioning triangular subsections ?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #117
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Iron requires the highest temperature to soften of any metal that was used at TL 3, temperatures that are hard to achieve with TL 3 forges, and thus it's relatively difficult to work. The easy way to create a metal tube is to just heat a metal sheet until soft and bending it around a rod, but iron requires too high temperatures to do that easily.
DF has TL4 munitions plate. I think we can assume blast furnaces.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #118
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Low Tech doesn't cover fictional munitions, so I'd go with the former.
Real war arrows could hit1500 grains, or just over 0.2 lbs, and were much more efficient at capturing the energy from strong bows. The 0.1-lb. value for GURPS is probably a nice mix between flight arrows (which were and are very light) and heavy war arrows, which include the 0.2-lb. example above.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #119
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Real war arrows could hit1500 grains, or just over 0.2 lbs, and were much more efficient at capturing the energy from strong bows. The 0.1-lb. value for GURPS is probably a nice mix between flight arrows (which were and are very light) and heavy war arrows, which include the 0.2-lb. example above.
The rather exotic arrows Bruno referred to, which appear to be described on LT 73, might be heavier than even heavy war arrows. Certainly their range is substantially decreased compared to the standard. Sadly they don't give extensive information for Deadly Spring conversion.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #120
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
There is one English author (Asham?) who complains that no longbowman in his time was capable of shooting half-pound war-arrows anymore - implying that, at one point, there were archers who could.

Last edited by DanHoward; 09-13-2012 at 10:21 PM.
DanHoward is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fanasy, dungeon fantasy, meteoric iron