Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Future History

Time is relative:
Such as when the past's future
Is the future's past
— Dr. Odd Selfson, Professor of Future History
A good campaign setting provides gamers with an idea of not only current events but also what went before, along with a bridge between the two and a sense of things to come. This is true whether the setting is historical and the GM mostly just has to pick a date and make a couple of tweaks, or totally made up and thus in need of vast amounts of worldbuilding. It gets extra-tricky when projecting today forward to create a science-fiction setting . . . because, really, who can say what the future holds?

GURPS Future History is a toolkit for building futuristic campaigns. It poses the right questions to help the GM decide what events gave rise to the status quo, where things are headed, at what speed, and why. For each answer, it provides practical advice on what's needed – whether that means broad themes, specific setting details, suitable adventures and story arcs, or key character types and abilities.

(To reproduce a specific sci-fi setting, why not pick up GURPS Adaptations by the same author?)

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0376
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:23 AM   #2
Pomphis

Default Re: GURPS Future History

Got it. Very good. A nice present for myself for our 10th anniversary
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
Donny Brook

I wonder if the writer/SJ games would consider publishing a work sheet as a companion item.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
Emerikol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Time is relative:
Such as when the past's future
Is the future's past
— Dr. Odd Selfson, Professor of Future History
A good campaign setting provides gamers with an idea of not only current events but also what went before, along with a bridge between the two and a sense of things to come. This is true whether the setting is historical and the GM mostly just has to pick a date and make a couple of tweaks, or totally made up and thus in need of vast amounts of worldbuilding. It gets extra-tricky when projecting today forward to create a science-fiction setting . . . because, really, who can say what the future holds?

GURPS Future History is a toolkit for building futuristic campaigns. It poses the right questions to help the GM decide what events gave rise to the status quo, where things are headed, at what speed, and why. For each answer, it provides practical advice on what's needed – whether that means broad themes, specific setting details, suitable adventures and story arcs, or key character types and abilities.

(To reproduce a specific sci-fi setting, why not pick up GURPS Adaptations by the same author?)

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0376
I didn't even know about GURPS adaptions.

GURPS future history is the type of book I really want. Even though I'm not running sci-fi at the moment I'll likely pick it up soon. I love world building books. I know I'm in the minority but I can't get enough of them.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:30 PM   #5
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I didn't even know about GURPS adaptions.
And this is why it's excellent when people post up about other publications. I also didn't know about it. Having just got Future History, it was a no-brainer to then grab Adaptations after Kromm mentioned it.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:04 PM   #6
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
And this is why it's excellent when people post up about other publications. I also didn't know about it. Having just got Future History, it was a no-brainer to then grab Adaptations after Kromm mentioned it.
The GURPSwiki tries to address this with its To Be Published and In Development categories and books being organized by year.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:20 AM   #7
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
The GURPSwiki tries to address this with its To Be Published and In Development categories and books being organized by year.
Nice! Something else to bookmark. Thanks :-).
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:27 AM   #8
dbm

There is a list of all GURPS books too.
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:30 AM   #9
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
There is a list of all GURPS books too.
Not quite all as at least the two new books, Girl Genius and Future History, are missing from the list.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #10
Eschwenke

How useful is this product for developing timelines that don’t use the present as a starting point? I’m wanting to take the setting of an existing epic fantasy IP and expand the timeline out by about a thousand years. Is there a lot of guidance on how to do this in general, or is it mostly focused on extrapolating on Earth as we know it?
Eschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote