Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-24-2021, 05:14 AM   #21
David Bofinger

Default Re: Cidri's Got Talent - Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
I was thinking it would include something like your Shield Wall as part of a phalanx close quarter fighting formation.Or whatever 1 point close-quarter military discipline thing the GM could come up with: Formation Cavalry Charges? Ramming Speed for naval attacks? Rotational Volley Fire?
I think that's a bad idea. Those are separate abilities and there's no advantage in linking them. Every link that doesn't need to exist moves us closer to a system where the game designer determines what the character looks like rather than the player. Or to use the short term for it, D&D.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #22
warhorse11h

Default Re: Cidri's Got Talent!

This forum has dried up lately. Here are ideas for a couple of talents that might be found useful. Both are IQ11.

Cloak (2) You can use a cloak effectively in combat as a shield and to distract an opponent. It stops 1 hit like a small shield and it also gives an opponent a penalty of -1 DX in attacks against the cloak user.

Shield Bash (2) A character with this talent can attack with a small, spike or large shield. For damage purposes use barehands damage. For a small shield use damage as given +1, for a large shield use +2. Spike shields do damage as listed in Melee and ITL. A character with this talent can use a small, large or spike shield in hand to hand combat in lieu of a dagger or main-gauche. The shield doesn't stop any hits when it is being used to bash or in HTH.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #23
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
This forum has dried up lately. Here are ideas for a couple of talents that might be found useful. Both are IQ11.

Cloak (2) You can use a cloak effectively in combat as a shield and to distract an opponent. It stops 1 hit like a small shield and it also gives an opponent a penalty of -1 DX in attacks against the cloak user.
Maybe just the DX adjustment and cost only 1 point to learn?

Quote:
Shield Bash (2) A character with this talent can attack with a small, spike or large shield. For damage purposes use barehands damage. For a small shield use damage as given +1, for a large shield use +2. Spike shields do damage as listed in Melee and ITL. A character with this talent can use a small, large or spike shield in hand to hand combat in lieu of a dagger or main-gauche. The shield doesn't stop any hits when it is being used to bash or in HTH.
Not to be a party-pooper, but anyone with a spike shield can already attack with it for 1d-2 damage. That's less than a ST 11 character using this talent would do with an unspiked small shield. If you instead let the spike shield do an additional +1 damage to your suggested ST-based damage, you'll have a large shield in the hands of anyone ST 11+ doing as much damage as a two-handed spear, which seems wrong.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:44 PM   #24
TippetsTX

Quote:

I like it.

I used to include the 'defensive cloak technique' under FENCING, but now I put it (along with some other non-standard off-hand defenses) under SHIELD EXPERTISE.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:00 PM   #25
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Not to be a party-pooper, but anyone with a spike shield can already attack with it for 1d-2 damage. That's less than a ST 11 character using this talent would do with an unspiked small shield. If you instead let the spike shield do an additional +1 damage to your suggested ST-based damage, you'll have a large shield in the hands of anyone ST 11+ doing as much damage as a two-handed spear, which seems wrong.
I didn't use the barehands damage for the spike shield for two reasons. The spike, while placed to be used for a shield rush would likely not be as useful for a shield bash, hitting your opponent with the edge of the shield. Perhaps I should instead have said that the spike shield could be used two ways, striking with the face of the shield for the spike to bite or with the edge of the shield for impact damage, using the barehands damage +1 for that only. It seems that maneuvering the spike to bite in that way could be awkward. Makes the character designate how he is striking, but it could be workable.

As far as the damage at ST 11, a spear, weighing 6 lbs, used two handed does 1d6+1. Using my rules for this talent, a small shield at 10 lbs or a spike shield at 12 pounds would strike for 1d6-2 with a 1 point bonus for 1d6-1. A large shield, at 20 lbs, would get 1d6-2 with a 2 point bonus for 1d6. Plus the spear used can keep his distance and get an extra die of damage in a charge. I mention the weights of the various shields because their impacts, with the weight of a trained fighter behind them are likely to be significant. But YMMV.

For what it is worth, I omitted the tower shield from this as it seems too heavy and too bulky to be wielded easily this way. In the hands of Conan or a giant perhaps.

Last edited by warhorse11h; 09-09-2021 at 07:02 PM. Reason: tower shield omission
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:38 PM   #26
Shostak

Quote:
I didn't use the barehands damage for the spike shield for two reasons. The spike, while placed to be used for a shield rush would likely not be as useful for a shield bash, hitting your opponent with the edge of the shield. Perhaps I should instead have said that the spike shield could be used two ways, striking with the face of the shield for the spike to bite or with the edge of the shield for impact damage, using the barehands damage +1 for that only. It seems that maneuvering the spike to bite in that way could be awkward. Makes the character designate how he is striking, but it could be workable.
But, at any ST higher than 8 a normal shield of any size will do as much damage or more than a spike shield, so you'd be a fool to use the spike in most cases. What about if your talent allowed any shield to be used to inflict bare-hand damage, but give the spike shields bare-hand +1?
Old 09-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #27
David Bofinger

Quote:
The spike, while placed to be used for a shield rush would likely not be as useful for a shield bash, hitting your opponent with the edge of the shield.
There's an example of what I assume is a spike shield on ITL 81. The spike is on the rim. I understand it's a German duelling weapon, nothing you'd use on a battlefield. (Most of what we know about weapons comes from battlefield weapons or duelling weapons, but TFT is about skirmishes which are in-between.)
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:59 PM   #28
timm meyers

IQ- 11 War Dancer (2):

Character may shift 2hexes in combat. Each hex shifted, including the normal 1st hex, must roll equal to or lower than their current MA on 2 dice to successfully complete. A failed roll means they remain in their current hex, but does not stop them from attempting their 2nd shift if available.

Hours spent practicing feints, deflective moves and fast fancy footwork makes for a elusive slippery opponent.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #29
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm meyers View Post
IQ- 11 War Dancer (2):

Character may shift 2hexes in combat. Each hex shifted, including the normal 1st hex, must roll equal to or lower than their current MA on 2 dice to successfully complete. A failed roll means they remain in their current hex, but does not stop them from attempting their 2nd shift if available.

Hours spent practicing feints, deflective moves and fast fancy footwork makes for a elusive slippery opponent.
Wow, a character with this talent would be absolutely deadly, being able to shift around a single opponent's central front hex to a side hex-side on any turn they moved second, thus not only benefiting from a DX adjustment to their attack, but obviating the threat of attack and nullifying the protection of their opponent's shield, if they carry one.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #30
timm meyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Wow, a character with this talent would be absolutely deadly, being able to shift around a single opponent's central front hex to a side hex-side on any turn they moved second, thus not only benefiting from a DX adjustment to their attack, but obviating the threat of attack and nullifying the protection of their opponent's shield, if they carry one.
Yes potentially devastating. I thought the roll vs. MA would make this less assured for armored characters and causing 2 rolls always increases the "oops" factor. But maybe the 2nd hex shift should count as their weapon action. I could also see any failed rolls as negating the characters ability to attack that turn.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote